No announcement yet.

How Would You Build a JY "Hot Rod?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually looking at TX2K19 stuff I got the urge to build a Civic that looks like a race Civic, big tires front, skinnies back, but drives backwards.

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

Pick a good one, get to work, start a build thread, keep us posted on your progress.
      That's really not bench racing . . . Just sayin'

I'm not really sure that C. Van Tune's old, cynical take on the subject was really that much better, though http://www.motortrend.com/news/bench-racing-editorial/

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
        Don't care. It wasn't street legal. Minimal creativity involved. Certainly not "period correct"

I'm sorry but this isn't about whatever throwback Squirrel has built in his copious free time. .........

Click image for larger version

Name:	noflakes2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	1237716

Comment

Don't make selfies into a sad meme. . . it's a bad look . . . . Just sayin'

It's obvious that with a couple of exceptions, none of the regular big posting members want to do this. Okay by me.

Who wants to swap another crate LS into another '69 Camaro?

Comment

I bet we'd like to read some of your ideas....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The junk yards I go to the most are the big corporate ones, they post there inventory and prices on line. So it saves time and is easy. They normally have 10-20 year old cars. I need to look for some old jy to explore.

The junk yards I go to are not going to buy a car from. So get a car off CL well FB it his killed CL. 95-04 mustang would be your cheapest chassis. But here in NC it's a pain due to emissions. So look for something 1984 and older. Turbo LS Auto and 8.8 if you want to go fast.
              Last edited by Russell; March 20, 2019, 06:12 AM.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

I would like to read his ideas.

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post

I would like to read his ideas.

x3
                  Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                  79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

I'm guessing that with the specific framed question he proposed, that he has something already in mind.

Comment

Found this '55 in an old junk yard during my travels years ago..........pans were solid
                      I'd build this in a heart beat if it still exists.........which I'm sure it doesn't

Click image for larger version

Name:	chevy in junkyard a.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	1237777
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

About halfway into the coast range there used to be a company town called Valsetz?. It was an all day trip to hit the coast that way..all gravel, all rough.. One spot about 1/3 way from town had a 55 Nomad down a ravine.. Thought of pulling it out.. Somebody beat me to it. It was amazingly complete. Probably early 1980's.

Comment

The last "threw it together out of junkyard parts" build I did was a '72 Chevy C10 with an LS swap and 4L60E transmission, but it was mostly used to haul stuff. My Dart's use of a brand new turbo might not count, although it has a bunch of things that are otherwise in the spirit (Ford 4.6 throttle body, used Supra injectors, disc brakes off a Dodge St. Regis, fuel tank sumped with a Wal-Mart cake pan, etc).

I've got a ton of weird ideas that would fit this theme, from a 3800 SC motor in a Fiero to re-creating the Men in Black Crown Vic with a Coyote swap and six speed. It would likely be built around whatever key components I happened to find a good deal on. It's even crossed my mind to try to make my '98 Regal GS rear wheel drive with parts out of a fourth gen Camaro.

Comment

I think it is a valid question. The problem is that it is not typically feasible to start in the junkyard for the car. The junkyards around me will not sell a car from the yard. So you would have to start somewhere else for the car.

The next problem is that (around me) the yards only have the cars sitting around for a month or two before the car goes to the metal recycler. So you have usually only newer models to pick from, it's not likely that the yard will even buy something older because they have less likelihood of turning a profit on the parts.

So that leaves your options at buying something cheap from craigslist or somewhere similar, and using a newer drivetrain, which has it's own limitations for anything other than the more popular swaps (LS, Coyote) because the engine and/or transmission has to be programmed, or an aftermarket solution.

I'm not saying it is impossible, but it is more rare.

The last problem, in my opinion, is when you define Hot Rod. Some guys have very specific definitions. I personally think the term evolves.

Comment

I would like to drag a early 80's RX7 (or maybe 280z) out and slip a Gen3 Hemi from a Dodge Ram in it. Stick a Holley carb on it with the gen3 hemi MSD ignition, an 8.8 diff and a 727 trans. Maybe change the cam.

Fabricated parts would be motor/transmission mounts and the bracketry necessary for the 8.8.

Keep it simple-ish and likely stupid fun. 351W with an ebay top end package could be swapped for the G3 and still be buckets of fun.

I do like MN12 Cougars though. I would love to play with one someday.
                              Last edited by BBR; March 19, 2019, 12:38 PM.
                              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

V8 Swap Miata has always appealed to me. But just buying a C4 Corvette might be cheaper.

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X