Major House Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major House Items

Our house was built in 1987. So it's getting tired. AND falling in at the foundation, but that's a local problem. Right here in a few square blocks, it's not just us. We had to pay those foundation folks a small fortune to save the back room from breaking off from the house some years ago, jack it back up. It's the subsoil, there's cracks in the driveway you can trip over, they weren't here when we moved in. We may be on top of a sinkhole.

We've done a new roof, a new HVAC system, new carpet downstairs, all to get ready for my retirement which we knew was coming. And now there's another thing. Convert one of these bath tubs into a walk-in shower, that's important. More cash outflow. We're trying to make the house outlive us.

I'm not real sure if owning is actually cheaper than renting. It's a rhetorical issue, but I'm wondering about the math these days.
    Last edited by pdub; March 20, 2019, 12:57 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Get rid of that money-pit and buy the Gear Head !

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
      Get rid of that money-pit and buy the Gear Head !
      We're too old and crippled up. I can't make that work. Not in my mind and not even on paper. It's too late for that.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
        I'm not real sure if owning is actually cheaper than renting. It's a rhetorical issue, but I'm wondering about the math these days.
        The only way renting is cheaper is if you qualify for government welfare rent "assistance" of some sort. And even that isn't really cheaper, being paid for with taxes as it is.

People often forget that good landlords cover their costs such as mortgage/taxes/upkeep/profit with the monthly rent rate.

Poor landlords/slumlords might operate at a loss, but who wants to live in housing like that?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I've been house looking online with Zillow and such. Terrible thing when a "Turnkey" turns into a "Fixer Upper", "Handyman Special" or worse a "Teardown".
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
            I've been house looking online with Zillow and such. Terrible thing when a "Turnkey" turns into a "Fixer Upper", "Handyman Special" or worse a "Teardown".
            The folks who owned this house before us put a whole lot into staging it perfectly for listing it on the market. When we first walked inside with the realtor, it smelled and reeked of new paint. They had done it all. They even had somebody caulk over all of the cracks in the walls. Yeah, they did it right. And we bit, hook line and sinker, this one's IT. We bit and GOT bit.

Comment

Did you offer to buy it "staged"? I've wondered if you could do that. Looking at houses the ones photgraphed occupied make me sad. At first I think "great staging" but then I spot food and clothing. Of course sometimes they just photograph the place with natural clutter and even squalor. Can't imagine buying a house just to rent out or kicking a tenant out. If a house has a good tenant it would jack up the price un-necessarily and a BAD tenant no price may be too cheap.

Comment

"Full disclosure" is a bit like a court restraining order. That is, it doesn't mean a thing.

Comment

May want to consider consulting a litigator....
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

We're too old and crippled up. I can't make that work. Not in my mind and not even on paper. It's too late for that.
                    but there's free alcohol to pep you up
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The folks who owned this house before us put a whole lot into staging it perfectly for listing it on the market. When we first walked inside with the realtor, it smelled and reeked of new paint. They had done it all. They even had somebody caulk over all of the cracks in the walls. Yeah, they did it right. And we bit, hook line and sinker, this one's IT. We bit and GOT bit.
                      I won't even look at a house that's "staged". I want to see what the walls REALLY look like, I want to know what condition the mechanicals are in, how serviceable the roof is, etc. No lipstick on my pig, thank you. That staging thing is a gimmick and exists because (evidently) John and Jane Q. Average can't envision their stuff in that house. For some reason, John and Jane waven't yet figured that that stuff doesn't come with the house and the zooty-looking couch may be covering up a hole in the wall or worse. (Guess you can tell I grew up with a dad who was a Realtor.

Dan

Comment

Well the good thing is you can look on Zillow now. I'm getting hooked.

Comment

I had a modular put in in 2011. its 1500 sq feet so its not huge but decent size and has had alot of kids through it. I had to put a metal roof on the first year cause I get high winds and had half the shingles blow off. Also changed doors in the first year. Hated the doors it came with. The best thing I did was have a fireplace installed. That heats the house for me all winter burning wood. Dont ever have the companies contractors put one in. Ive heard way too many horror stories on wat they do. I had a local contractor I trusted do it for me.

Last edited by chevybuytroy; March 21, 2019, 09:52 AM.

Comment

So today we had our consultation with the replace-your-tub-with-a-shower guy. It was very very cool. A totally pleasurable experience. I hobbled out front to greet him after he pulled up at 1:01 p.m. Our appointment was for 1:00 and he was grumbling about that stop light at the end our road held him up, or he would have been here sooner. I mean, I like this guy already.

What is it about chemistry between people? This guy was like a lifelong friend I'd never met. Yes, a salesman, but there's more to it than that on the inside. That was really neat. Whatta nice guy. We sat and talked a lot longer than we needed to, about lots more than a shower. I mean I like this guy. I showed him Red out in the garage. He initiated that dialogue as soon as he saw that blue one across the street for sale.

Unit and I had already discussed, how much are we willing to spend on this project. If it's a ridiculous amount, I'll go fire up the sawzall and cut the whole front off of this tub on the day that neither of us can step over into it. And that's already happened before, that day, but I didn't cut the tub. Not yet anyhow.

His proposal came up to be barely more than half of what we were willing to spend, and it's going to be nice. I shook his hand across the kitchen table - "Deal." And a good deal. Now we have to wait in line for 5 weeks to get it done in a single day. It can't happen soon enough to suit us.
                            Last edited by pdub; March 22, 2019, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I'm becoming a house hobbyist. May be years before I can buy, but it's fascinating. Latest wrinkle is the "Barndominium". Great concept, but already those who do it are jacking up the prices. Just like Park Models and Tiny Homes before. Once interest builds because of potential low cost they begin to cost more and more.

BTW, who male uses a bathtub? Since the Asians started complaining about the American bath, tubs are just a nice place to shave legs and other parts.
                              Last edited by RockJustRock; March 22, 2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X