BangPlane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BangPlane

Mike Patey is one of my heros. If you don't know who he is, "Flying Cowboys" - they do nuts things. This time around, he's build a plane from used parts (and wrecked parts).

Does it belong?

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Yep, BangShift approved !

Comment

The guy must be independently wealthy, or well sponsored. None of that is cheap.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
        The guy must be independently wealthy, or well sponsored. None of that is cheap.
        he developed a better way of treating wastewater from oil and gas drilling... he barely talks about it, there are some dollars there. So of the richest people I know do some of the most mundane things to make that wealth... e.g. wastewater treatment, highway barrier building, etc.
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 21, 2019, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Yes dollars after dollars there, but I like to say be inspired, not jealous. Guys that wealthy but who have such time for outside interests tend to be second- or third-gen in whatever business and carry the torch, good for them as they could choose to be drug-addict loser/brats instead as some rich kids do.

Many evenings in 9th grade building a pretty-nice Piper Cub balsa model (patterns printed, you had to razor-blade them out) almost made a plane builder out of me. Fantasy was, using biz-jet motors in something that looked more like a small fighter but was side-by-side just 'cause it's more fun to travel that way. However cars were more accessible and for some reason I was pretty good with going left-right but not so much with the up-down, first learned at age ten in a Mooney over Malibu with my bro-in-law who was an instructor. So I was looking at the wrong gauge, but he might not have ever let me fly again after that. At any rate all ties there were cut at his-her divorce shortly after and I didn't fly again until age 18 or so in a Cessna and I still sucked and never chose to pursue a license.

Love a good air show though, can spend hours at the displays.
          Last edited by Loren; March 21, 2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Yeah, not jealous here, just observant. People are still amazed that after 52 years of flying I still do not own an airplane.........LOL!! It's a matter of priorities, I guess.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I had been waiting for turbines to take over ever since learning APU on kc135.. the little jets.

the world record he got still limited the old appearance airframe to 438 mph on the props.
              all on turbine instead I assume

great pursuit.
              WW2 had been there as a myth for many decades, no time for documenting the speeds they broke. Just words spoken.
              I shared his latest video in another thread the other day...

looking forward to his sharing the build

in this video, the tower was stumped at his rate of climb for the given craft

a different version of the sr71 sharing speed stories
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 21, 2019, 11:46 AM.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Yeah, not jealous here, just observant. People are still amazed that after 52 years of flying I still do not own an airplane.........LOL!! It's a matter of priorities, I guess.
                Whoops my jealousy comment didn't come off right, I direct it to myself more than anyone.

I can't say it isn't a good idea to be making money from airplanes rather than spending a bunch on them...

Comment

I know many pilots who don't own airplanes.... heck, an acquaintance of mine is an Alaska Airlines pilot and doesn't own an airplane ;) of course the buddy that has the submarine also has a couple airplanes in his yard.... and a couple that actually fly. You know how we buy cars ostensibly for our spouse? he bought her a Bonanza (aka Doctor killer).

I'm working on doing a Reno Air Races trip this year (Sept. 11-15). The subject of this thread will be there.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 21, 2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

kinda like the guys i work with...they said that the 2 best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it... nobody owns one,,,

Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

and so it begins

Comment

Not to derail the thread, but this is a sexy flying beast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobalt-Co50-Valkyrie-Personal-Plane-2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1239155
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I kind of follow this build - it's a pre-production prototype, mostly though it's a wiring project inside a cool plane shape

Comment

not sure if plane savers went in this thread.

this was a big day
                            I felt rewarded just watching.

The kc135e plane I was assigned to was bad enough to contemplate junking it. 1993
                            My trainers had me in a meeting to witness the decision. I was for anything.. young airman.

it ended up a one for all, all for one type ending. the plane was only 40 something...14000 hours or so.
                            Unit decided to keep it.
                            been hit by lightning, atomic energy found in a strut.
                            engine went bad, cabin air system
                            my trainer and i was nearly killed when the apu decided to jump off it mounts and backfire inside the plane
                            it electrocuted me, zapped me, played poltergeist tricks on me..
                            the bad engine sent wobbles like its own reactor..
                            fuel leaks, hot brakes
                            I had been burned, chemical'd.. crammed into tiny fuel cells.
                            evidence of gulf 1 hushed away...
                            Eat breathed and slept that plane.
                            and every thing it had ever done was all over us.

we added a new floor, all screws in by hand. Plywood. Painting, cleaning..

and it flew for 15 more years.
                            its in the junk yard since 2008.
                            won't be coming back. I am quite sure.
                            57-1491.. even the tail number has a mystery to be told. the plane erased its original number.
                            1491 was a numnber stolen froma wrecked rc135
                            we wondered if it was junked and revived already before coming to maine

We had the hangar a long time. It was challenging the whole flightline.. planes had schedules. We were taking way too long.

anyway, these guys reviving this old bird. I like to see it.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

that is pretty cool considering where they started.... I love watching the mad skills they have.

Comment

Working...
                              X