Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    and like a phoenix

Leave a comment:

• Eric
    replied

Modified legend Mike Stefanik dies in plane crash
    Last edited by Eric; September 18, 2019, 02:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• prostreet34
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    I met Mike Patey at the Reno air races this year. This crushes me even more because he is a super-nice guy. He couldn't race (ironically, the insurance was too expensive), so he brought his plane and then met/greet everyone from Wednesday through Sunday at his plane on the tarmac. Those winds have a name - Washoe Zephyr.

I saw this last night. I've been following his stuff ever since you posted a link to his channel earlier this year.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    and it never occurred to me until after about the problem with long-travel suspensions on STOL planes

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I met Mike Patey at the Reno air races this year. This crushes me even more because he is a super-nice guy. He couldn't race (ironically, the insurance was too expensive), so he brought his plane and then met/greet everyone from Wednesday through Sunday at his plane on the tarmac. Those winds have a name - Washoe Zephyr.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    close the file on DCD, the saved Plane Saver's airplane

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    75 planes flying across the ocean to participate.... it's a big deal.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    that is pretty cool considering where they started.... I love watching the mad skills they have.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    not sure if plane savers went in this thread.

this was a big day
    I felt rewarded just watching.

The kc135e plane I was assigned to was bad enough to contemplate junking it. 1993
    My trainers had me in a meeting to witness the decision. I was for anything.. young airman.

it ended up a one for all, all for one type ending. the plane was only 40 something...14000 hours or so.
    Unit decided to keep it.
    been hit by lightning, atomic energy found in a strut.
    engine went bad, cabin air system
    my trainer and i was nearly killed when the apu decided to jump off it mounts and backfire inside the plane
    it electrocuted me, zapped me, played poltergeist tricks on me..
    the bad engine sent wobbles like its own reactor..
    fuel leaks, hot brakes
    I had been burned, chemical'd.. crammed into tiny fuel cells.
    evidence of gulf 1 hushed away...
    Eat breathed and slept that plane.
    and every thing it had ever done was all over us.

we added a new floor, all screws in by hand. Plywood. Painting, cleaning..

and it flew for 15 more years.
    its in the junk yard since 2008.
    won't be coming back. I am quite sure.
    57-1491.. even the tail number has a mystery to be told. the plane erased its original number.
    1491 was a numnber stolen froma wrecked rc135
    we wondered if it was junked and revived already before coming to maine

We had the hangar a long time. It was challenging the whole flightline.. planes had schedules. We were taking way too long.

anyway, these guys reviving this old bird. I like to see it.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I kind of follow this build - it's a pre-production prototype, mostly though it's a wiring project inside a cool plane shape

Leave a comment:

• RockJustRock
    replied
    Not to derail the thread, but this is a sexy flying beast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobalt-Co50-Valkyrie-Personal-Plane-2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1239155

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    and so it begins

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
    Yeah, not jealous here, just observant. People are still amazed that after 52 years of flying I still do not own an airplane.........LOL!! It's a matter of priorities, I guess.
    kinda like the guys i work with...they said that the 2 best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it... nobody owns one,,,

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Yeah, not jealous here, just observant. People are still amazed that after 52 years of flying I still do not own an airplane.........LOL!! It's a matter of priorities, I guess.
    I know many pilots who don't own airplanes.... heck, an acquaintance of mine is an Alaska Airlines pilot and doesn't own an airplane ;) of course the buddy that has the submarine also has a couple airplanes in his yard.... and a couple that actually fly. You know how we buy cars ostensibly for our spouse? he bought her a Bonanza (aka Doctor killer).

I'm working on doing a Reno Air Races trip this year (Sept. 11-15). The subject of this thread will be there.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 21, 2019, 02:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    Whoops my jealousy comment didn't come off right, I direct it to myself more than anyone.

I can't say it isn't a good idea to be making money from airplanes rather than spending a bunch on them...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X