Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I've Been Doing (Home Improvement Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I've Been Doing (Home Improvement Content)

Sadly, I haven't touched the Volvo since Hurricane Florence 'cause I've been redoing stuff in the house. The music studio (the scene of most of the storm carnage) has been done for a while but the laundry area (also part of the old attached garage) had some damage as well. While this will come as a total shock to you folks, some project creep did wind it's ugly way into the laundry room project and here's the result.

The project overview is that I moved the washer/dryer combo down the wall to the point that there's a bump-out so the washer sits further out of our way. ME also wanted a utility sink (what was called a "laundry tray" in my ancient plumbing days). Lowe's had one in a cabinet and it looked zooty so we went with it. Then there was adding a place for ME to do bills (I'll build her ANYTHING to keep me from having to do them) along with a laundry folding counter and a hanging clothes bar (not for me - I don't own anything that needs hanging). Sorry - no "before" pics that I can turn up but here's what got done:

1) Remove the drywall between the kitchen and the laundry. Given that this used to be the back wall of the garage it was insulated but there's no sense putting that back as that's now heated on both sides. Here the drain has been extended to allow the sink and the washer to drain. The washer supply lines have not yet been moved in this pic. Also note that there are steel plates to reinforce the weakened studs after I drilled the holes for the drain extension - it was that or run the drain outside the wall which I did not want to do. A little time on the drill press yielded the plates.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1948.jpg Views:	1 Size:	289.5 KB ID:	1238101

Here the PEX lines have been rerouted. Note that I cheated and used Sharkbite fittings so I didn't have to buy the tool (this may be false economy but I don't do a lot of plumbing these days). BTW - Sharkbite fittings allow for the tube to swivel within the joint which is very useful when fitting 10 LBS of stuff in a 5 LB bag. Also note that the 240 VAC power has been rerouted to the rear of the new washer/dryer location. Now that the PEX is moved I screwed in the last reinforcing plate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1953.jpg Views:	1 Size:	298.5 KB ID:	1238102
    The junction of the plumbing inside the cabinet. This represents several re-inventions of the layout and a significant chasing of leaks. I originally plumbed all the brass using teflon tape and had several leaks so I took everything apart and reverted to good ol' Rectorseal which, of course, solved the issues permanently. Rectorseal GOOD!!! The drain exiting the cabinet goes to a trap and stand pipe for the washer to drain into. We've run the washer several times and the drain work well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1955.jpg Views:	1 Size:	212.6 KB ID:	1238103
    Here's the sink and the washer in its new spot. Note the shelf over the sink - on the left side is one of several brackets I welded up to make shelves, etc. The shelf itself is made from material I had left from the tear-out of the studio (there's more in the following pics). It's white melamine board w/red oak edging. Here you can see the stand pipe for the washer drain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1957.jpg Views:	1 Size:	233.6 KB ID:	1238104
    Here's the laundry combo blending into the folding area. We may reposition the paper shreader (in corner) if it proves to be taking up too much folding space.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1958.jpg Views:	1 Size:	201.4 KB ID:	1238105

And ME's bill paying spot. The counter top was a straight length that topped cabinets in the studio - she has decided to forego the cabinets now that she's retired from teaching so I had 11 feet of 1 1/2" thick (2 layers) oak veneer plywood, pre-finished from when I built it the first time. It worked out to be the perfect length once I cut it and made an "L" out of it. Also note the Plugmold and stolen power from an outlet that was on the other side of the wall.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1960.jpg Views:	1 Size:	224.9 KB ID:	1238106
    This is pretty much what that area looked like before starting the remodel. Also shown here is the (as usual) overbuilt clothes hanging bar. Well continue to organize this space as we go along.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1961.jpg Views:	1 Size:	322.8 KB ID:	1238107
    So I haven't been building cars but I have been building SOMETHING!

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; March 21, 2019, 03:50 PM.

Very nice! I too have too many irons in the fire right now.... Sean just put new U Joints in my ZR 2 last night, I have to rework plumbing in the basement for relocation of the water heater, a wash basin in the shop, and a kitchenette in to main basement, so we will have somewhere to cook/live when i remodel the main kitchen... I feel your pain!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
      Very nice! I too have too many irons in the fire right now.... Sean just put new U Joints in my ZR 2 last night, I have to rework plumbing in the basement for relocation of the water heater, a wash basin in the shop, and a kitchenette in to main basement, so we will have somewhere to cook/live when i remodel the main kitchen... I feel your pain!
      Best of luck! I have a few more gizmos to make then get back on the Volvo and see if the oil leaks are FINALLY plugged up. Both the old engine and the new one leaked at the dampner seal which is not rumored to be common for a SBF. I changed the front timing cover (I THINK I was careful enough) and the front seal so we'll see if that does it - I just need to finish the reassembly.

Dan

Comment

Dan, why did you have that giant heavy amp on the top shelf? C'mon! Heavy on the bottom, light on the top!

Looks like....er.... no fun at all, honestly, but i'll bet you're super pleased to have things improved and fixed at the same time! Project creep is lovely once it's done... if it's ever done! Good job!

Comment

I’ve been re building my knee since it was scoped last December... 2 hours of gym every morning (1 hour in pool)
          So far so good

Sharkbite fittings for the win .... changed out a water heater Sunday in easy fashion

Looks like a great project with good results Dan
          Last edited by Monk; March 21, 2019, 07:53 PM.
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Just a suggestion, perhaps it's already in your plan. either buy, or make some metal protector strips to nail on the studs where wires or pipes are within sheetrock screw range........1.5" X 3" is about right. Looking good!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1953.jpg Views:	1 Size:	298.5 KB ID:	1238102
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I like doing remodels like that, and I love finishing up, stepping back, and taking it in when all is done, cleaned up, and put back together. Did painting and mud work for awhile, so I tend to take my time and make the walls smooth as glass and a nice mild orange peel finish on the paint. It's just incredibly satisfying to see it done.

Looks like you've done it right and done it well, no surprise there.
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Thanks all for the positive comments! Just an old man doing his best (I'll do pretty much anything for ME).

Monk - Best of luck on that knee. So far my skeleton is holding up well though the rest of me has fallen apart.

Andy - The PA amp ended up on the top shelf because it was empty when I had it in my hands. No planning was involved at all.

Ed - I'm planning to use the protective plates before I do the drywall, probably this weekend. I can do drywall OK but I'm slow as molasses at it. I try to make it auto body smooth and that's simply not necessary. Slow learner.

Tedly - feel free to stop by and sling mud any time you like! And yes, it DOES feel good to have a nice outcome.

Dan

Comment

How do you and the wife like the stackers? Being lazy I tend to do laundry in big loads. That and the fact washing machines I encounter, most eat quarters. How do the smaller loads impact utility bills? If you had it to do over again would you go that way?

Drywall..... out here as long as they can't see nail heads it's time to paint. You can literally SEE the history of any remodel.
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

This is our second set of nearly identical stacked washer/dryers. The one in MI had a gas dryer and there's no natural gas in our sub so we sold that one with the house and replaced it with more or less the same unit but with an electric dryer. They work well for the two of us - load size has rarely been an issue. On the rare occasion that we have something big to wash I'll haul it down to the coin laundry but that's been maybe twice in the almost 16 years we've been here (one was an ATF-soaked transmission blanket). We never even looked at the utility bill issue - it's just part of the price we pay for living. I'm pretty sure the gas dryer was cheaper to run but we really had no option on that front.

Dan

Comment

In CA electric anything is death. I'm told it goes back to all the Enron issues.
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                      X