Nothing better than a road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing better than a road trip

Well , I've been hankering for a road trip since I bought the 6 in suspension lifted suburban on 35 x12.50s on the snowiest day we had late in the afternoon after the snow melted from the road and I felt that that I missed the reason for four wheel drive by a few hours . So anyway I give up on the snow wheeling and just want a road trip now . So , we're off and landed in Union Town Pennsylvania. Tomorrow we'll see a Frank Lloyd Wright designed house . His most famous . Fallingwater. We were going to hit another 4 miles from it called Kentuckknob /Hagan House but we also want to see the Flight 93 Memorial and that just isn't something I want to rush through.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Saw a doc on Frank's houses... Seems recently went thru a restoration..
    That would be a cool place to live!

Comment

Have a great trip! I've wanted to visit the Flight 93 Memorial and pay my respects but it hasn't worked out yet so I get what you mean about not rushing that. Hug your Sweetie for us and get one for yourself (as ME's Dad used to say). Sounds like fun.

Dan

Comment

35x12.5 .. getting into hefty sizes

enjoy the ride. I was just chatting of welded steel. I got an old pickup ready for lifted fun..
        but I still have a need for 85mph on the cruise

the flight 93 kept my imagination the longest.
        "What if" scenarios, that plane was defended by passengers.
        to this day, as a 3 stripe grunt crew chief on 707 airframe I would have landed it.
        it is just in my mind. it hurts.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 23, 2019, 07:25 AM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Here are a few pics of the flight 93 stuff . I really didn't get a pic of the building because at first it just seems like a big wall and then you go around a corner and find that it's a weird building and go inside . I didn't take any interesting pics inside because it just seemed strange to do it . Lots of great information that I never got before . Also alot of the calls that were recorded to their families before they attacked the terrorists . So much of the stuff will just make you cry . First the emotions of anger , then sadness in the loss of 40 named flight and crew and one unborn child . Then you cried over the pride of what they did . I think they thought as I do that the pilots were already dead or mortally wounded . That the likely good of saving the plane was maybe a 10% chance that a novice could put it down safely . They have up the last 20 minutes of their lives ( and when the end is within sight , those minutes talking to family and friends could not be more precious ) to save hundreds maybe thousands more than themselves. I never knew of the unborn child . Only one married couple aboard and one non citizen. He was from Germany. I also didn't know that when they were entering the cockpit that the terrorist pilot was rocking the wings to slow the attack. Also the plane hit the ground upside down so I think that was the last effort of the terrorists that once they finally knew they were not going to reach their intended target ( which was either the White House or the Capital Building ) they made sure that the plane could not be saved .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

The plane came in prom the left upside down in a field left from strip mining . It hit the ground and made a 15 foot deep 30 foot wide crater on impact and then a debris field of about 40 acres . So it went pretty steeply into the ground .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Here's pulling that shot in closer . You can see the white marble memorial wall . Each of the heros / victims name is on a separate slab of marble ( except there is mention of the unborn child on that one of its mother ). The wall also serves as the tombstones for the dead . While enough DNA was collected to verify who was on the plane ........this is their final resting place .
              Last edited by Dan Barlow; March 23, 2019, 08:28 PM.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

And here is the shot pulled in tighter . The big rock on the right side of this pic is the point of impact . About the biggest price of metal wouldn't have been big enough to make a vw out of .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Getting late I'll put up some pics of Falling water tomorrow .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Sounds like a great trip! Are you road tripping the Suburban?
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Russell - No , took the Acura TL . There wasn't supposed to be any snow so we took it for comfort and speed . Its little V6 has 285 hp .
                      Barry - I always wanted a lifted truck with at least 35s . Glad I got to experience it. But realistically it would be much better with a 3 inch lift and 33s .
                      Dan - We love you guys as well tell ME hi for us !
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

That makes more sense but you never know, road tripping the Suburban might be an adventure.
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

I'd be a adventure keeping gas in the tank ! Just got home and the phone with the pics on it is dead so ……...Falling water pics tomorrow .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Outside pics of falling water . While I really wanted pics inside , they were not allowed . But you can probably see some online .
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Fallingwater is the epitome of the building fitting the site. Truly amazing! Fun to see Mrs. Paula, too.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X