Buick Olds Pontiac 455

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pontiacpower View Post
    After living in Michigan my entire life I’m ready to head south and get into some boats beers and bikinis
    if you think jet boats are high maintenance, wait until you find out the maintenance cost of a good-looking-bikini
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Comment

Once I start running around with the red rocket this summer my chances will improve. But yes maintenance is high with anything that looks good in a bikini

Comment

And the oil changes are SO much more interesting!
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Post a diy video on that. I could use a brushing up on my oil changing

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
              Well, I'm starting to think my wagon will get a 454 instead.........slightly modified, of course.
              The 455 Rocket can be built to be reliable, but if you prefer, do a BBC with billet valve covers ball milled with the Oldsmobile Script DRCE logos that Warren Johnson made famous in his pro stock tenure.... (BBC has better parts support anyway( cheaper))
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Those oil drainback issues are interesting. Smokey Yunick got scoffed at for practically porting and polishing oil drainback. Other racers restricted top end oiling after switching from hydraulic lifters to solids or rollers, just because. Other builders swear by carefully limiting oil pressure as a power robber. Finally Big Chief was chewing up main bearings in his Poncho from a drainback or distribution issue. Making power is easy. Making the MOST power gets tricky.

Comment

Since the topic is Olds 455s I'm reminded of a story. A buddy with a built Olds 455 with a 6-71 blower would wing it up for a bit and then it would lope at idle then settle down. He proudly said it was his Rhoads lifters. Anybody play with those?

Comment

It’s taken me over 2 years maybe 3 now to get my block built up to where I just need pullies and an intake and fuel system..... couldn’t imagine tearing a block down after every race and replacing internals

Comment

Movement on that Nailhead.

Tim
                      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Well, I have a 455 sitting in the shop. Came out of a boat. Needs everything. Seems to be solid, price was right, time will tell. Next year.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

The cylinder heads going together, really shows how the valves are 45deg to the bore.

Last edited by 65RHDEER; July 23, 2019, 04:55 AM.
                          Tim
                          Melbourne Australia

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                            Well, I have a 455 sitting in the shop. Came out of a boat. Needs everything. Seems to be solid, price was right, time will tell. Next year.
                            Lots of good info in this episode Ed: https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...ng-an-olds-455
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I watched it Patrick. good info in there, it would be fun to take the week-long course. I think a novice could do more damage than enhancement using a die grinder without some training. One thing I noticed was there was no mention of chips entering the oil system when 'relieving' the drain back holes..........they probably should have mentioned flushing the system well afterwards.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

The Nailhead goes together

Last edited by 65RHDEER; July 25, 2019, 03:11 AM.
                                Tim
                                Melbourne Australia

Comment

Working...
                                X