Home Improvement III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Improvement III

Convert the tub to a walk-in shower. Buy it, watch it happen, have a professional do it,and then we can step into it instead of that dadgum tub. Here's the "before." Piece de resiste as they say, this thing has got to go. Tub no more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010447.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1239856

Dude showed up today and made a lot of noise upstairs, cutting and beating and carrying on. Kenny disappeared, under the couch probably. Demo complete.

Name:	P1010448.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1239857

Show stopper. Here's the problem. That vent pipe that goes up to the roof is in the wrong place. It was okay cleverly hidden behind the tub, but that won't do at all for a solid wall shower installation. Load the shower store van back up, reschedule after a plumber has re-routed that vent pipe.

Name:	P1010449.JPG
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1239858

What a snake nest. Plumber on the way tomorrow. I can't even get down low enough to see what the shower guy is talking about. Like a plate of spaghetti and there's no doubt the plumber is going to have to cut into the house to re-route that pipe. I love it. I only want that shower, we NEED it, it's worth it.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

There's no such thing as an easy remodel!!
    Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
    Gregg and Deb Miller
    Verona, Wi.

Comment

Originally posted by convss View Post
      I just wonder if part of the plumber's job description is to get way up onto a roof, a really high one. The weather seal around that vent pipe up there on the shingles is probably age-rotted, allowing rainwater to run down that vent pipe onto the plywood under that tub/shower structure. Not a lot, but some.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I just wonder if part of the plumber's job description is to get way up onto a roof, a really high one. The weather seal around that vent pipe up there on the shingles is probably age-rotted, allowing rainwater to run down that vent pipe onto the plywood under that tub/shower structure. Not a lot, but some.
        If you have a leak from around the vent pipe you do need to fix it no matter how small the leak is. Some plumbers do that and others refer that fix to somebody that does roofs since often shingles are involved. Every once in a while I consider doing exactly what you are doing. Luckily we don't have a second story. We're all on one floor.

Comment

Originally posted by convss View Post
          So far, the bathroom store, plumbers, carpenters, roofers... I can't imagine why we'd need an electrician for this, we've used everybody else, but we're not done yet, either. Unit's a bit stressed over the magnitude of it and I'm trying to reassure her. We're IN it now. And we need that shower worse than anything we've never had. It's past time for us to do it. It'll just take some steps and hoops. And time and money well spent. And phone calls and waiting.

Comment

It would only have taken 30-seconds and a saw to cut out a doorway in the bathtub ... maybe not too pretty though.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
              It would only have taken 30-seconds and a saw to cut out a doorway in the bathtub ... maybe not too pretty though.
              I told the bathroom salesman guy that very thing while we were meeting to sign the deal and he reminded me that whatever water escaped through the tub walls would be right there on the subfloor where the tub sides used to be.

This house is turning out to be like Christine the Car, except it won't heal itself.
              Last edited by pdub; April 10, 2019, 05:31 PM.

Comment

It would only have taken 30-seconds and a tube of RTV to seal the sidewall cuts in the bathtub ... maybe not too pretty though.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                  It would only have taken 30-seconds and a tube of RTV to seal the sidewall cuts in the bathtub ... maybe not too pretty though.
                  Don't rub it in too deep Steve. I'm just waiting to take a photo of the finished project, it's gonna be like Hollywood. It's gonna be a great improvement, one we physically need.

And then the whole house might fall into a sinkhole with us in it, we're sure not going anywhere, and it's sinking. By the month.

Comment

Patience and Faith.... Hoping it all works out soon for you two!
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

This it?

Name:	18ABA582-09E4-4959-95B9-334131C464BD.png
Size:	478.9 KB
ID:	1239929

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                        Patience and Faith.... Hoping it all works out soon for you two!
                        Thank you Patrick, it's an ongoing thing. Unit and I rented a place and then we bought one and then my job required us to relocate and buy this one. "Home improvement" is one thing, that can involve paint or even replacing the kitchen faucet. In nearly 20 years together, we've done those things.

But this is our first experience with actual "remodeling." We're rookies. She's stressed and I'm grinning. Relax Honey, this will all be okay. Eventually. It's all about the end result.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                          So far, the bathroom store, plumbers, carpenters, roofers... I can't imagine why we'd need an electrician for this, we've used everybody else, but we're not done yet, either. .
                          Electrician is for the outlet behind the toilet.

Thats is where the Toto Washlet plugs into.

And that’s for the arthritic hands, heaven forbid they get that bad.

Might as well go for broke, while you are at it.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Might as well go for broke, while you are at it.
                            I'm just glad I've managed to regain my sense of humor about it, the whole thing, our overall condition. And I HAVE regained it. Hell, I was about 50 years old and in a similar shape and more than one person told me, "You're too YOUNG to be like that!"

Ohhhhhhh you're so right. Yep, what was I thinking?!?!??!? Yep, you're right, I'm wrong. I should just stop being that way. I didn't know whether to slap them (I couldn't reach them 5 feet away) or to face palm myself - "WHAT are you THINKING?" We can't all choose the hand that we are dealt.

It's been a great run. Just trying to get the house better suited for us. "Estimator" and one other guy coming tomorrow morning to figure how to cut the house to make it work. Yeah, this is the next great adventure that comes at a monetary cost for sure.

Comment

We have been doing a little bit on our place for awhile. Since 1998 in fact. Turned a small house with a crawl space into a split level with an addition, full basement and an attached 40'x40' garage. Working on remodeling the kitchen right now. Still need to do the main bathroom. Then replace the temporary steps. They are old enough to vote & next September will be old enough to drink.
                              ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Working...
                              X