No announcement yet.

Home Improvement III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not proud of this, this was not fun. This is the email I sent after the plumber finally sent me an email.

After some more thought, this is getting fishy. You are a subcontractor for *********, is that what is it? And you need 40% up front? And you can't even get the date/day of your arrival correct? I'll say, I'm not liking this. You're fired. Forget it. You're not doing this work for us. I haven't signed anything with you, forget it.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Sounds right to me. I'm surprised the bath remodel folks don't have a plumber thay can count on - this is holding them up, too.

Dan

Comment

The stud finder was delivered today. I'm feeling mobile and well enough to do this minor project. So I went up there and started finding studs. It's my urban legend understanding that when they started using 2x4's, they were supposed to be 12" on center,per code. The ones I found in the area where we want the grab bar were 15" and 14.5" apart from one another. So they didn't waste any wood building this house, no wonder it's falling down.

The grab bar is 24" on center, so it can't go in straight horizontal like I envisioned it. I used painter's tape to mark where the studs are. It's got to be at an abrupt angle. And I want this thing mounted on studs, not those drywall screw mounts, since we're going to be tugging on it. I took the grab bar downstairs and told Unit the story. So, you're sitting on the toilet, where do you need to pull from the help you get up? She said let's go up there and look. OMG, the stairs, that'll do her in for the rest of the day.

We got it ciphered out and I started drilling. I was being too conservative with the pilot hole size, I want these really long screws to really bite. Well, they bit alright. I ended up having to break two of them off in the wall after I'd dragged out half of the tools I have. But it's done, two screws on each end instead of three screws on each end. But Unit and I could both swing together like monkeys at the same time from overhead on that bar, it's on there. And I only left one errant hole in the wall that is visible...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grab Bar.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1240944
        Last edited by pdub; April 22, 2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Mom has a taller toilet. Easier to get offa..

I like to rub soap or wax on screws so they have help getting in..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            We got all three of our toilets replaced with the taller ones some years ago. It's unreal how much about an inch and a half of "tall" makes a difference, it sure does. We shopped and found the toilets at a local dealer (special order). So we had the toilets and now find somebody to put them in. Same problem we have now, a plumber. I can replace a toilet but three at one time....and I was hurt up at the time, that's why we needed them. So....here comes two young guys from somewhere.

I told them to make a pile out by the street, the city will take anything with their boom truck dump truck, they do it every Friday. It's part of the tax structure. As long as whatever it is isn't hazardous and won't explode, they'll take anything. If the dumpster divers don't get it first. The dumpster divers make laps around the neighborhood on Thursday evening to see if anything out there by the street is made of metal.

They did the work and they weren't hardly out of sight when we saw one of the toilets leaking. So we called them back. They came back and by then we were all like buddies so I offered them some beer. They gladly accepted it. And after they'd had about two beers, I imagined a photo op. You guys go out there by the street and squat on those toilets and I'll take your photo. FLASH, classic redneck photo. The neighbors had to be appalled but that pile went away on Friday. I just wish I could find that photo. My external hard drive is loaded with stuff I mis-named. I'm nearly sure I posted that photo here on BS but I can't find it.
            Last edited by pdub; April 23, 2019, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

I like to rub soap or wax on screws so they have help getting in..
              Sure makes a difference!
              I had to buy a thing to replace the seat that was 6" thick after my hip replacement. Too easy to get dirty.

Comment

Hey Matt (pumpkin), thanks so much for the call this morning and thanks as well for your offer. Between then and now we have a definitive answer about when the pipe-plumber is coming, and that was another negotiation of sorts on the phone. I called him and told him I got your text message about doing the work on a Wednesday instead of a Friday, so which Wednesday are you going to be here, are you talking about May 8? He said yeah, but he didn't sound too sure, the inflection.

I said, let me make sure I have this straight - I only want to know when to expect you. Today is Monday. You're saying that you will be here one week from the day after tomorrow, is that correct? Long pregnant pause....a long one....he said, oh no, I mean THIS week.

Okay, like the day after tomorrow, right? He said yeah, sorry about the confusion. Well, just bring it, we're looking forward to it. Dang.

Comment

The plumber brought a helper who's in training to be a plumber. The plumber fixed/rerouted the pipe and his helper patched the hole in the sheetrock garage roof they had to make to gain access to the problem. Let me say, that's weird to be standing in the upstairs bathroom looking through a hole down into the garage.

For half the price of the original bid. Win. We're gonna get a walk in shower. Tuesday, it's on the schedule. I believe it's ready for reconstruction. I believe it is, they showed it to me.
                  Last edited by pdub; May 1, 2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Ball's rolling...
                    Mine just got a flat spot ground into it...

Comment

Just a matter of getting a REAL craftsperson, not some hack after your $$. This really frosts my cookies as there's plenty of money to be made just by doing honest work so you don't NEED to scam to do well. Hope you got a business card for future reference.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        Hope you got a business card for future reference.

Dan
                        I've got their contact info. I hope I don't need them again. When we had our closeout "meeting," the plumber said what the fee was going to be. My jaw dropped. I said, "Are you SERIOUS?" Well, he thought I was mad maybe. No, I made him out a check for more than what he said.

Comment

There, dadgummit. THERE. It's about time.

Name:	P1010456.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1242253

Comment

Looks like THAT ought to work! Happy scrubbing.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                              There, dadgummit. THERE. It's about time.

Name:	P1010456.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1242253
                              I like the seat!
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post

I like the seat!
                                How do you not slide off with a soapy hiney?

Comment

Working...
                                X