Home Improvement III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

How do you not slide off with a soapy hiney?
    I dunno, the seat is for Sue and we haven't used it yet- the glue and the caulk is still drying per the manufacturer's instructions. Those doors are just a mighty classy shower curtain, hung only from the top. You can move them with one finger but if you tried to lean on them you'd fall straight through the door and you and the glass would land crashing on the bathroom floor needing a whole lot of stitches at best.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

First, I fell victim to a TV commercial late at night. A gas-powered griddle late at night. With not one, but TWO gas burners for pots on the side of it. To add to the fleet. I love cooking, much more than I enjoy eating, which those of you can attest to from seeing my body frame.

I love my Weber grill, I'll drop a name if that's okay. I PAID a sticker company to make me a few of these, this one's on Red.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Weber Sticker.JPG Views:	1 Size:	43.7 KB ID:	1243742

I have no financial interest in the company at all, other than I've got a lot tied up in parts over the past 20+ years. It keeps on going and going. But they couldn't help me with the side (pot) burner, it was so old they didn't make the gas header for that outdated particular model any more. And I nearly burned the house down with it, trying to rig it up some other way.

Anyhow, while I'm awaiting delivery of the new thing which is not a Weber, I've got a great idea, I'll make the space on the side of the Weber to be another workspace.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Side Burner.JPG Views:	1 Size:	78.1 KB ID:	1243743

The hardest part of it was to go under the house and hunch down under there and drag a piece of 3/4- inch plywood out from under there. That used me up, no more good movement left in me today but I can "see" it, I have it designed. Probably 3 days of work to make a little shelf to go onto the side of that grill where the side burner used to be, Cutting, sawing, measuring, drilling gluing.....I can do this. On a good day. Or a few long good days.
      Last edited by pdub; May 22, 2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

After another long nap, what the heck was I thinking? Well, I still KNOW what I was thinking. Instead of ordering the new gas-powered griddle rig online, I could have gone right up the street and bought it over the counter at WalMart. And saved about $50 shipping, But then somebody (as in, I) would have to load the thing onto a cart and then onto the back of the truck. That's prohibitive, no.

So for the extra expense, one of these soon days I'll hear a big WHUMP on the front porch while I'm asleep on the couch, and suddenly there's a big box full gas-powered griddle on the front porch. Delivered. From there I can cut the box open and carry all of the individual parts into the house and deal with the assembly over time. Any amount of time. Maybe the box it came in will degrade over time and disappear from the front porch by itself. Just sayin.

Comment

Back to the upstairs, the brand-new shower, which was a most excellent investment. I took the towel racks down ahead of the upcoming renovation. They were in the way of it. Just department store junk, nothing fancy.

So after the shower installation job, the mounting points for the towel racks moved. New holes in the wall required. Remember me, three days per hour of honest work? That applies to cars and everything else. I got totally shut down for over a week. That stupid 3-peg towel rack, the left mounting hole gave me a fit. The stud finder said there was a stud there but the drill said there was not. But the drywall mounts said there was.

I left it alone. Tools and drill and parts all over the place, a construction zone. I walked away from it rather than to get mad about it. I slept on it about 25 more times. I couldn't decide, do I need one of those metal sheet rock mounts that expand like wings when you tighten it up? How?

Well yesterday when I woke up again I finally realized, I have a decking screw that's about as long as my you-know-what. Might as well try it. And sure enough it chewed into something solid. This house makes no sense. But I haven't been outside yet to see if the end of that screw is sticking out of the siding over the garage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010464.JPG Views:	1 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	1243776
          Last edited by pdub; May 23, 2019, 12:38 AM.

Comment

unrelated, yet related
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              unrelated, yet related
              I can grasp the connection. Well played.

Putting that blower on Red was just about like attaching a bottle rocket onto the back of an Army tank. I get it. It took a long time to realize it.

Comment

Done deal, it's ugly as sin. It looks just like I made it. So many procedural steps. But a place to throw stuff when I go out there to cook, if ever. Now I can rest for a week at least.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010465.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1243921

Comment

Somehow a bathroom just turns into a nexus of a-holery. One fastener on the toilet seat broke because it came loose and shifted. I popped for a new one from WalMart $6. Had the handyman install it. When he installs it he insists on re-over-torqueing all the other bolts. Slams the seat down and CHINK, a crack opens on the front exterior only. Well THAT will never do. It's the owner's money so the guy gets a $300 Kohler one piece ultra modern one to replace it. Should be a 2 hour job, but not for this guy. He is grinding, scraping, pulls up the floor tile over a foot in every direction, has to go out for new carefully matched stick on tiles, forgot his caulk gun has to go out AGAIN, 12 hours total. As he leaves he says "I want you to scrub the rest of the floor EXTRA well to match the new tile!".
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    As he leaves he says "I want you to scrub the rest of the floor EXTRA well to match the new tile!".
                    Stuck in front of the TV, I've gotten hooked on The Bar Rescue show on the new Paramount Channel. They've got a hardass guy who's "saved" over 200 bars over the years with some hard facts and hard love and facts. "...I want you to scrub the floor....." That's what made me think of it.

He goes in there and generally chews out the owner and the manager for not managing the staff most times. A few jerks get fired. Sometimes they all agree to pull together once and for all to make the business go.

But in the end, he commits to help the business as long as the whole staff commits. He runs everybody out of the building and tells them to come back in 36 hours for the the unveil. Here's where I have a problem. There's no way in 36 hours any number of construction workers could accomplish all of that. Not in 36 hours, I think that part is a theatrical lie. Totally different environment inside and new signs on the outside and sometimes he even re-names the business to make it more attractive to the local clientele. Totally new furniture, shiny new equipment, maybe a whole different layout with theme art on the walls and all new amenities.

In 36 hours, I simply don't believe it, that's not possible, time-wise. If it takes weeks to get a new shower installed after the work initially starts, no. Especially the new signs on the outside and maybe even changing the name of the bar. That's just a "show," and I've watched about a dozen episodes of it. It almost always comes down to human character conflict and change in behavior. Maybe that's what makes it so fascinating to me. Lots of training involved, but in the compressed show-time of an hour, the training goes far too quickly.

I'm only thinking they are lying about the time involved.

Last edited by pdub; June 10, 2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

And if you look on the internet most of the bars fail yet again. Time will tell on the auto shop version.
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                        And if you look on the internet most of the bars fail yet again. Time will tell on the auto shop version.
                        The Bar Rescue show, if you watch enough episodes it becomes a form letter format. Like the old John McDonald Travis McGee novels but even more predictable. Same thing, same flow, different location. Nice camera work and drama on the inside though. Next?

Comment

Working...
                        X