Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

On C7, C8 headlights. These aren't TOO retro and QUITE aerodynamic I'd say. If you're going to cop styling cues from other makes might as well go for a GREAT one rather than cheap Japanese ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercedes-Benz_SLR_McLaren_(8615973055)_(cropped).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	552.7 KB
ID:	1240437
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Thinking of past comments, if I was wealthy and playful building up a ZL1 specifically to smoke stock ZR1s sounds VERY cost effective. Of course the wealthy just buy the ZR1. Chevy knows that and bills them accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
          On C7, C8 headlights. These aren't TOO retro and QUITE aerodynamic I'd say. If you're going to cop styling cues from other makes might as well go for a GREAT one rather than cheap Japanese ones.

Name:	Mercedes-Benz_SLR_McLaren_(8615973055)_(cropped).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	552.7 KB
ID:	1240437
          that's the first time I've heard someone referring to the Crossfire styling as great.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

What's up with the "C's?" Superman's Vette is a 1980. Which "C" would that be? I'm sure I've posted it here before, but we were running autocross in Chattanooga one day. Superman was staged, next up. The PA announcer, an SCCA autocross champion himself, said, "This is one of those off-year Corvettes, the ones nobody wants. But this is the prettiest one of those you'll ever see."

I'll bet Superman didn't hear that inside the car, but I heard it standing around outside.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The "C" stands for Corvette and the number refers to the generation (C1 is the first gen produced in 1953 through the 1962 model year).

The announcer probably mistook it for a C4, which was not very popular, due to the anemic power of the de-tuned engines of the day.

Comment

C3. And the announcer was right about the unwanted part EXCEPT as I just noted the '79 outsold all others. A LOT of somebodies wanted them at one time. I think the C4 outunwants the C3 lately. The pretty part you'll have to judge for yourself. Plus you're fine being concerned about all the "C" stuff. Far better to be driving a S-197 than a M5. M5 sounds like a tank or rifle although they both sound military.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

that's the first time I've heard someone referring to the Crossfire styling as great.
                  It was their opinion and they owned it.

They took a cool car and popped it in the oven like a Shrinky Dink.

Name:	Chrysler_Crossfire_3.2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	1240446
                  Last edited by RockJustRock; April 16, 2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

It was their opinion and they owned it.

They took a cool car and popped it in the oven like a Shrinky Dink.

Name:	Chrysler_Crossfire_3.2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	1240446
                    You mean the same people who thought they could bluff the EPA?

Comment

C3. And the announcer was right about the unwanted part EXCEPT as I just noted the '79 outsold all others.
                      So, Superman's ride is "shaped" like a C3. The interior is intact except for the shark bar he made himself to mount the 5-point harnesses on the driver's side. The running gear is anything but stock. He built a 383 and a transmission to go in it, that thing will fly. And then not even slow down enough in Turn 10A at Road Atlanta, proven. That was a fun day, I could actually keep him in the windshield lap after lap because he was running one cylinder down.

He's still got that smog (150 HP?) engine in the corner of his garage in case he ever wants to sell the car and somebody wants a "numbers matching" car. Well, whatever.
                      Last edited by pdub; April 16, 2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

You mean the same people who thought they could bluff the EPA?
                        After what VW pulled I don't recall.

Comment

After what VW pulled I don't recall.
                          That was a local scandal for us. The factory is right up the road from here, Can be there in about 20-25 minutes. I can nearly not believe the company survived that. They must have had PLENTY of money in the bank already to get past that one. That was bad business, considering the clientele, that was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                            The "C" stands for Corvette and the number refers to the generation (C1 is the first gen produced in 1953 through the 1962 model year).

The announcer probably mistook it for a C4, which was not very popular, due to the anemic power of the de-tuned engines of the day.
                            C2 is 63 thru 67
                            C3 is 68 thru 82
                            C4 is 84 thru 96
                            C5 is 97 thru ........I'd have to look the rest up .74 thru 82 were the off years because they lost their pretty chrome bumpers. And those were the detained ones .My personal opinion is they are pretty but more of a 8 instead of a 10 . From the second year of the C4 power started climbing and it has just continued. The C4 was a darling for a while . Till they kind of reverted back to the shark look with the C5 .
                            Edit -
                            And then a few years ago the under powered "off years " became more desirable than a C4 because you can now do pretty much anything you want to the engine because of the 25 year rule . Of which most C4s are benefiting from now performance wise. But the styling is still not there . Sorry about the derail but I just wanted to straighten out a few miss statements ........and throw in my opinion . Still , sorry about the derail of the C8 .
                            Last edited by Dan Barlow; April 16, 2019, 02:07 PM.
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

C5 is 1997-2004
                              C6 is 2004-2012
                              C7 is 2013-2019

With that said, many times the suspension transcends the generation.

C1 suspension went through 63 (so yes, the split window vette beside being the only year of the divider is also the last year of a solid rear axle)
                              C2 - 1964, the front suspension went to 1982,
                              C2 - rear suspension went from 1964 through 1977
                              C3 the rear suspension was transitioned - 1977 - 1989 or 1996 (depending on how you want to divide it). While GM did changes what attached to the frame in 1984, the center section started production in 1977.
                              C4 in 1989 changed several attachment points for the rear suspension so it looked the same as the earlier version but is very different.
                              C5 and C6 share the same front suspension - which even goes to the rear where the spindles/knuckles are the same front/rear

C6/C7 share much for the rear suspension and it is like the transition in the C4 of the rear suspension in 1989 where they changed a lot yet it still looks about the same.

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 16, 2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X