Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame Cathedral (800-years Old)

I was not trying to be funny to say..
    looks like the 900 year old irish pub outlasted the church.
    but the little smily emojis emerge anyway
    like devils

Click image for larger version  Name:	churchfire.JPG Views:	1 Size:	126.4 KB ID:	1240308

I have shared the dna stuff.. my name seems to be dead for my immediate family.
    it was very big on irish catholic.. the tough guys.

we fight too much I guess.
    I saw ancestry dna linked some fabled irish love story by chance to my gene pool.
    that is how i know I am my name.

Rebuild again, with this world attention.. I bet the muslims donate too.\
    very sad near easter.
    I do not worship in a normal way, I am a veteran of bad things.
    not sure if I'd drop sooner to do so.

maybe the church is a result of us after all.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Pretty sad such a building is aflame..

Comment

A great tragedy on many levels.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Not the least of which is Quasimodo will be homeless now.

Comment

looking for sorcery and witch craft at the cause...

the B-52 first flew on this date in 1952.

My mom died on easter sunday.. but the date was april 19th.

I am glad to be whatever religion I am today...
          painful to learn history of Monseigneurs and priests and 100s of years with my name riddled all through it

I hope they build even bigger, it is a world heritage site
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Somebody important implied they should have responded faster and used forest fire air support. At least he didn't blame them for not raking their leaves. ;)
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
              Somebody important implied they should have responded faster and used forest fire air support. At least he didn't blame them for not raking their leaves. ;)
              who the hell works on a project of that historical significance without fire mitigation on site?

this makes me quite sad, I'll load my personal pictures of Notre Dame.... it made a huge impression on my life when I went there as a college student.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                Could have been reflexive defensive since he gets blamed for everything.
                ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Shitz. They put ladders up and went half way to the fire
                  There was a water tank for fire fighting but it was drained to be worked around..

Very hard to follow some captions... So my info is likely skewered

I'm most disapointed about the art work and stained glass work being destroyed
                  As well as it beibg 900 yrs old
                  The statues were removed to be cleaned..

Comment

let's frame something that most Americans don't know. Most of those cathedrals (Notre Dame included) are a stone structure with a wood roof and leaded sheet metal panels on top. While it did destroy the roof and such, the structure is still eminently rebuildable because the structure you see from the inside is all stone (mostly granite). I'll find and scan some pictures... but there is a huge attic space between what burned and the building.

In fact, the original movie of the Hunchback (which we got to watch in France as illustration of 1800s France) shows Quasimodo hiding in that attic area.

that said, this still makes me very sad because it's very structure invokes worship.... St Peters is gaudy (my opinion with NO offense intended) but Notre Dame was the working-class church. They built on it for 1200 years - Fmr. President Obama said to the French that it can be rebuilt, but that's such an American view (not politics), the structure is the soul - a new structure is not the same.... folks here on BS get it, a new car is nice but an old car has soul. Notre Dame has soul, they will repair the damage, but thankfully they don't have to replace it with new.
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 15, 2019, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Pictures inside, after the fire

Comment

More pictures here
                        The fire may be extinguished at the iconic Notre Dame cathedral, but the heartbreaking damage remains. Here's a look at the powerful imagery inside and outside during the massive blaze.

there is much good news in this:
                        first, the church struggled to raise 6 million to fix the roof - they're raised 300 million to rebuild.
                        second, because they were fixing the roof, the 9 meter (27 foot) statues on the roof were not there and thus are safe
                        third, there was a fire plan in place and so the irreplaceable items inside were largely removed and stored in a safe place
                        fourth, it appears the pipe organ is both intact and perhaps wasn't damaged - they don't know because wood pipes and water are not a good combo - but that said, one report has they were protected from water as part of the fire plan
                        and finally, it's a stone structure and outside of where the steeple fell through the lower ceiling, appears undamaged.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          More pictures here
                          The fire may be extinguished at the iconic Notre Dame cathedral, but the heartbreaking damage remains. Here's a look at the powerful imagery inside and outside during the massive blaze.

there is much good news in this:
                          first, the church struggled to raise 6 million to fix the roof - they're raised 300 million to rebuild.
                          second, because they were fixing the roof, the 9 meter (27 foot) statues on the roof were not there and thus are safe
                          third, there was a fire plan in place and so the irreplaceable items inside were largely removed and stored in a safe place
                          fourth, it appears the pipe organ is both intact and perhaps wasn't damaged - they don't know because wood pipes and water are not a good combo - but that said, one report has they were protected from water as part of the fire plan
                          and finally, it's a stone structure and outside of where the steeple fell through the lower ceiling, appears undamaged.

you know original build was a world wonder for its time.. remained there

I wonder what today can build. they got CAD and different materials.

I was rambling about zinc making its own volt, especially in big sun
                          hard telling, but I think the scaffolding iron was part of the catalyst.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post

you know original build was a world wonder for its time.. remained there

I wonder what today can build. they got CAD and different materials.

I was rambling about zinc making its own volt, especially in big sun
                            hard telling, but I think the scaffolding iron was part of the catalyst.
                            I think they were melting the lead off and forgot there was wood under the metal.... 1000 year old, dry wood. I remember being up in that space thinking how dry it was.

Comment

I imagine that cathedral fires are not uncommon and many have been rebuilt throughout the centuries.

Comment

Working...
                              X