No announcement yet.

Notre Dame Cathedral (800-years Old)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the Notre Dame rebuild is fully funded. Great job. Now if you're still feeling generous there are some overlooked black churches in Louisiana that can use some help. Some were really old but didn't get the media coverage when a Sherriff's son set them on fire.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
      I imagine that cathedral fires are not uncommon and many have been rebuilt throughout the centuries.
      Unfortunately you're right - I can't even imagine the response that would happen if Notre Dame is arson. The French are (rightly) very proud of their land and history - but they also brought us the guillotine and its attendant Revolution. I pray it isn't, but their quick "oh it's an accidental fire investigation" while it's still burning is a real problem that they should know better then start....

Altars were vandalized, statues were defaced and human excrement was smeared onto a cross, sparking fears of a rise in anti-Catholic sentiment in the country.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
        So the Notre Dame rebuild is fully funded. Great job. Now if you're still feeling generous there are some overlooked black churches in Louisiana that can use some help. Some were really old but didn't get the media coverage when a Sherriff's son set them on fire.
        that's cute, you know pointing at me puts 4 fingers pointing back at you.... so what are YOU doing?
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 17, 2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I hate to see any heritage site get damaged - whether Notre Dame or a black church. All cultures have value.

SBG - I didn't think Rock was pointing at you, just pointing out that there's more work to do to get sites that are dear to people back in working order.

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; April 17, 2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I think that the count is now at 12 churches desecrated and burned in France within the last few days.....
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

On the logging site they were talking about how France does not have the species and size of timber to rebuild the church..
              I believe oak was mentioned.. Heavy stuff!

Comment

not saying I'm chortling, but I'm chortling....
                This just in, all damaged churches getting a bump in donations due to the Notre Dame fire....

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                  On the logging site they were talking about how France does not have the species and size of timber to rebuild the church..
                  I believe oak was mentioned.. Heavy stuff!
                  there is also major concern that some of the rock in the building is failing due to the intense heat. That said, 300 million will likely set it all to right - no oak, but maybe a fire system....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    This just in, all damaged churches getting a bump in donations due to the Notre Dame fire....

https://www.axios.com/notre-dame-fir...WWwRbYAncZEKQA
                    That's GREAT news! Sorry it took the burning of an icon to spur that but I'm happy that that is an outcome.

Dan

Comment

https://www.axios.com/notre-dame-fir...WWwRbYAncZEKQA
                      GMTA! Actually the thing I expressed had already been repeated over and over on the web. Yes I do spend the bulk of my time online, but not all here. Two French multi-billionaires said $300 million to fix this? No problem, we got it! People lose sight of the fact a billion is one THOUSAND million. But the world crumbles in many ways, people suffer in many ways, that can be fixed with a handful of millions but in most cases billionaires look at the sky and say "Why me?". And people at ALL levels of wealth are crowding around to fix Notre Dame. Sorry those two French billionaires beat you to it. Work on your salvation in other ways. Just look around. In most cases the four fingers don't point at wealth, at least not at the time the one points.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

GMTA! Actually the thing I expressed had already been repeated over and over on the web. Yes I do spend the bulk of my time online, but not all here. Two French multi-billionaires said $300 million to fix this? No problem, we got it! People lose sight of the fact a billion is one THOUSAND million. But the world crumbles in many ways, people suffer in many ways, that can be fixed with a handful of millions but in most cases billionaires look at the sky and say "Why me?". And people at ALL levels of wealth are crowding around to fix Notre Dame. Sorry those two French billionaires beat you to it. Work on your salvation in other ways. Just look around. In most cases the four fingers don't point at wealth, at least not at the time the one points.
                        my issue with what you said is this. Everyone criticizes other's good works. So what how they donated those funds?. It is money that otherwise would have gone to give themselves pleasure rather then restoring an amazing place that lifts the soul. Remember this: Notre Dame was fixing the roof after 10 years of pleading for 6.5 million to do the work - the fire opened up the taps AND helped other churches as well.... best of all, it will be better then what they dreamed - tragedy turned into goodness for a lot of people.

Yet here you are throwing rocks at other people doing good. Seriously, stop that - I say this as an internet friend, complaining about other people doing good only reflects poorly on you. Or don't. The choice of how you wish to be remembered is wholly on you.

Comment

This statement is true:

When you're having trouble, 80% of the world doesn't care, 20% are glad you're having them.

Yogi Berra

Comment

This statement is true:

When you're having trouble, 80% of the world doesn't care, 20% are glad you're having them.

Yogi Berra
                            And 2% COULD fix ANYTHING *IF* that was their whim that day.

Comment

Working...
                            X