The Whatzit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Whatzit Thread

With online shopping you get ad spammed with "Whatzits". A picture of an item you just gotta know what it is, what it's for and what it costs. If I had access to machine tools and stock I'd be trying to whip up a few of these.

Click image for larger version  Name:	jawgrip.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	1240324
    Last edited by RockJustRock; April 18, 2019, 09:05 PM.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

I use adblock instead
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I really don't mind it, find it amusing. Plus ad blockers crash things. An ad blocker was blocking some of my grocery specials so I had to go to a backup browser on that computer. But tell me you couldn't make one of these that would probably work better and you'd part with yours for, oh, a mere $200.

Comment

It's funny to hear someone say how they could do it so much cheaper on a part where thousandths matter. Invariably, when you talk about the work required to get one that works right (including, but not limited to, choice of material, manufacture method, and leverage points) they'll say "oh but I'll copy that one." Then you'll get sued, and I'll cheer because that's theft.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I could make you one of those for under two grand. If I wanted to work, that is. I don't.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

I just pity the guy who misses a day's work because his $350 hand tool broke. You think they carry spares?

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
              I just pity the guy who misses a day's work because his $350 hand tool broke. You think they carry spares?
              $350 for a tool, I guess I'm not feeling sympathetic today - you get the tools you need to do what you need to do get the job done.... all of that costs money to make money.

Comment

When you get into forgings and limited-market tools, prices get high although I think pricing on that is surely a what-the-market-will-bear deal...i.e., it is indeed just a little bit cheaper than what someone else starting in fresh could make it for and not reflective of what their own much lower mfg. costs are. If someone like Harbor Freight came along and sold them for half of that, then their price here would either follow or they wouldn't sell many.

.8 cable is some pretty thick stuff, that would have to be capable of handling some heavy load. I made a similar device long ago to pull much thinner ropes on sailboats where the cord was pulling into your hands too hard and used the heck out of it, but no one would have wanted to buy one for the $100 I would have needed to charge to make them.

I'll work 'til I can't, like grandpa and dad did, maybe making silly stuff like rope pullers if that's what there is to do. Sometimes I don't get much for it, sometimes I do.
                Last edited by Loren; April 15, 2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I do plenty of stuff, and have spent way too much time in the shop on stuff in the past few years. But it's always a money losing venture, so it's not work, at all.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    ... but it's always a money losing venture, so it's not work, at all.
                    WOW! So now my ego is crushed - all these years and at no time was any of it work!

Comment

Today's Whatzit. Came to me from a different retailer because I clicked on the other one. Yes, I know it won't handle heavy utility cable. But if we can string maybe 50 together the price is right? The narrow market here is the thing of note. In one job we were tossing product ideas around. A Cornell trained engineer got upset. He came up with the PERFECT anti-theft shifter and stereo lock for a 3 series BMW, prototyped it shopped it relentlessly and couldn't attract an investor. SO f***ing LA, so California! Doesn't everyone want to protect the 3 series BMW that EVERYONE owns? Ahhh the 90s!

Click image for larger version

Name:	wz.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1240565

Comment

all of this makes me think the perfect troll would be 'design' a product that no one will use but will be copied by the Chinese ....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          all of this makes me think the perfect troll would be 'design' a product that no one will use but will be copied by the Chinese ....
                          As if Above Ground Pool Cover Cable Winch isn't useless enough to most? It's important they spam it because I don't think it is very often someone rolls out of bed and thinks "I need a winch for my above ground pool cover cable!".

Comment

Accessorize your ride at Walmart for better unattentive driving!

Name:	zento.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1240692

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                              Accessorize your ride at Walmart for better unattentive driving!

Name:	zento.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1240692
                              I like cigars, but that is too much.

Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X