Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to me, but not "brand new"...brand used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
    Looks like the added unsprung weight of the wheel/tire combo overcoming the shocks. A quad shock kit would fix that. The lighter overall weight of a Blazer exaggerates it. Anyway on ladder bar geometry calculations are done from the center of gravity, not the wheelbase.

Oh yeah, if it IS spring wrap the shocks could be stagger mounted.

if you go back and look at the first page pics, you would see there is
    already a 4 shock setup on the front (2 per tire) AND all k series trucks had stagger
    mounted rear shocks from the factory........

and the blazers are usually heavier than the shorty regular cab k-trucks, add the camper, backseat,
    step up floor, 250lb-vs-30lb tailgate with window, 31 gallon tank vs 18 gallon, etc etc.....

Last edited by fatguyzinc; May 13, 2019, 01:55 AM.

Comment

With shock tuning you will be wading into the water of ride vs. traction. Adding hardware affecting geometry you will be going off a diving board. Maybe, just maybe take it duning a few times FIRST before re-engineering it? It looks fine, no one will laugh at you. A ride like that should be off roaded a lot to justify how it is built. Just be sure to thoroughly clean all the running gear and other moving parts before going back to a lot of street miles. How are the shocks on it now anyway? Is it that much of a stretch to think many "off-road" guys spend too much time thinking lift, spring, tire and not enough thinking shock damp?
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

With shock tuning you will be wading into the water of ride vs. traction. Adding hardware affecting geometry you will be going off a diving board. Maybe, just maybe take it duning a few times FIRST before re-engineering it?

------or, fix whats a KNOWN problem first....------

It looks fine, no one will laugh at you.

------like i care if anyone laughs--i'll sit on them.-------

A ride like that should be off roaded a lot to justify how it is built.

-------really? who, exactly, do i have to justify the way i build MY vehicles to ?-------

Just be sure to thoroughly clean all the running gear and other moving parts before going back to a lot of street miles.

------just cant keep from being smarmy, can we? dont worry bout how/what i do with MY vehicles.
        how about you try posting some of your own builds.............------

How are the shocks on it now anyway? Is it that much of a stretch to think many "off-road" guys spend too much time
        thinking lift, spring, tire and not enough thinking shock damp?

------not as much of a stretch as guys with zero cred--since basically almost everything they tout is backwards and flat out wrong,
        who maybe dont even have a current ride, much less a highly modded one--
        trying to throw around their "expertise" over and over and over and OVER.............------
        just saying....................

Comment

Sorry if I hit a nerve or two. I did like the term the videos used, "bounce". Heaven forbid having bounce in an off road vehicle.

Comment

Sorry if I hit a nerve or two. I did like the term the videos used, "bounce". Heaven forbid having bounce in an off road vehicle.

no nerves hit. you know what the saying is, 'if you dont have anything helpfull to contribute'.....
            so far pretty much every comment youve made in this thread (well, not ONLY this thread--but
            lets concentrate on that one for now...) has been negative or just flat out wrong information.
            sensing a pattern here? i sure am.................

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

well, i cant say you dont have your bases covered.....
              yeah, start with the short one, if it doesn't solve it, use the longer one.... I presume you know about the link calculator on Pirate, use it.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My theory re: the sand video is that what's going on is the natural wave of the sand dune combined with the rocking-back-and-forth frequency of the truck, with the exaggerative effect of the tall c/g vs. wheelbase ratio. Ever gotten a Bobcat going like that over rough terrain? I have, to the point I had to just stop the thing and sit there until the rocking stopped. Looking from the side, make a triangle between the front and rear ground contact points and the vehicle center of gravity, the taller the triangle the worse it's going to get as the c/g gets tugging back and forth. I would think tuning between the tire pressure and shock absorbers would be the approach, and maybe if he's got two shocks per wheel he should only have one, or three for that particular terrain.

Just a thought, I ain't the expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                  My theory re: the sand video is that what's going on is the natural wave of the sand dune combined with the rocking-back-and-forth frequency of the truck, with the exaggerative effect of the tall c/g vs. wheelbase ratio. Ever gotten a Bobcat going like that over rough terrain? I have, to the point I had to just stop the thing and sit there until the rocking stopped. Looking from the side, make a triangle between the front and rear ground contact points and the vehicle center of gravity, the taller the triangle the worse it's going to get as the c/g gets tugging back and forth. I would think tuning between the tire pressure and shock absorbers would be the approach, and maybe if he's got two shocks per wheel he should only have one, or three for that particular terrain.

Just a thought, I ain't the expert.

yup, thinking the short wheelbase + tall CG just oscillates at the perfect wrong frequency
                  on these trucks--i had another one 30yrs ago and it did the same exact thing, and every
                  k5 blazer ive ever ridden in does it. 1 shock, 2 shocks, 4 shocks,etc.... still does it.

i have a trailer that towed perfect behind an astro van, but behind a crew longbed f350
                  4x4 it went " boi-oi-oi-oi-oi-oi-oing" non stop--guess the wheelbase just didnt work with
                  that partticular truck, or stiffer springs, or whatever.... it does it mildly behind the wifes
                  crew tacoma prerunner, not as bad as the ford but noticably worse than the astro.
                  weird how things work, or dont work--and i aint smokey yunick or grumpy jenkins, so
                  im not smart enough to figure it out. the previous traction lifts worked but they arent
                  made anymore, and they DID limit the articulation.

hoping i can at least minimalize it with this k5, its lame having to get out of it almost
                  everytime you start to climb a hill offroad and lay into the loud pedal. as i said, the blazers
                  seem to be plauged with it the worst, even the regular cab/short bed K-trucks are a bit
                  better--but the are also almost a foot longer wheelbase wise.

imma try the 48" ladders and see how she reacts. im thinking i need something for the
                  front too, guess ill burn that bridge when i get to it..............

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

yeah, start with the short one, if it doesn't solve it, use the longer one.... I presume you know about the link calculator on Pirate.....

no idea, but im going to go look now-thanks sister.

Comment

i have a trailer that towed perfect behind an astro van, but behind a crew longbed f350
                      4x4 it went " boi-oi-oi-oi-oi-oi-oing" non stop--guess the wheelbase just didnt work with
                      that partticular truck, or stiffer springs, or whatever.... .
                      I've got one too, towed behind an El Camino for years w/ no problem, if loaded and behind a pickup truck no problem, if empty behind a truck it did that thing horribly, especially at around 45mph. I'd be bucking like a bronco down the freeway in traffic for miles while the car beside me was just cruising along smooth, drove me absolute nuts. Finally it occurred to me to just try to be watching it when it was doing that, the best would have been to be in a different car beside it while someone else drove but instead I just tried to look with the truck mirrors fully extended. It seemed like there was some obvious flex/oscillation going on right where the tongue structure passed under the front of the platform, so I tried bolting on a relatively small 3' length of 3" x 1/4" wall angle on each side which was not really adding much strength but I was looking to increase the frequency of the flex through there just enough to solve or at-least have an affect on the problem. Worked. I just took it to Phoenix last weekend empty, six hours of driving at various speeds and not once did it start doing that bucking crap, what a relief. I did wonder as I was fastening on those angles if I might just be transferring the problem from 45mph up to 55, but no it just went away altogether so call the fix part observation and imagination, part skill, and part luck.

So yeah anyhow, the tuning thing; if something like the trailer lesson could be applied to the Blazer it might mean you being beside it in another vehicle while it was driven in a way that would get the porpoising happening, and watch what's going on from the outside...see how the wheels are moving, identify what's really bouncing and then wrap your head around that for awhile. Along with whatever other possibilities you might find that something like having 40 psi in the front tires and only 20 in the rear fixes it, I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        I presume you know about the link calculator on Pirate, use it.
                        no idea, but im going to go look now
                        Here you go ...

​​​​​​​http://www.patooyee.com/calculators/calculators.htm

Comment

Testing? Why test anything?

Comment

Testing? Why test anything?
                            because thats what real hotrodders do--try to fix known problems then go out and test it to make sure it worked.
                            rather than the posers who troll around shooting off their mouths and making snide comments that add nothing
                            to the solution. like USUAL.

Comment

I don't think I've ever made a negative comment about another member here.

Comment

no idea, but im going to go look now-thanks sister.
                                you just get those googly fingers a googling girlfriend
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X