Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to me, but not "brand new"...brand used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• swapped the solid rear side glass (the ones in the 'camper shell')
      for a set of brand used sliders. what a P.I.T.A. that was! hands and
      fingers gonna be sore for days... I will put up a pic soon. getting
      closer to legal/driver status everyday!

Comment

• i may have found a giant loophole.... all the safety check/recon/etc places are closed
        due to coronavirus concerns. even the dmv offices.

yesterday i called the dmv hotline, and talked to the lady there, explained that my one legal
        registered car (the white vette) got stolen, and i have a driveable truck but the plates
        are in storage so i need recon and safety to register...what do i do? i cant afford to
        "just go buy another car", as the recon office suggested. (what a bunch of A-holes...)

she said gimme the V.I.N.#.... in 2 minutes she came back with "mail us a cashier
        check for $473.50 and we will mail you plates, you will be legal till everything goes
        back to normal then you will have to go get recon/safety".

SOLD!!! sent the check this morning. heres hoping it works...... as a plus, since it will
        be registered/plated, i can drive it to alignment/recon/safety when the beer aids scare
        is over, avoiding the $200+ per tow i would have to do otherwise.

i need to send her flowers or chocolates or pizza or something if this works!

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
          i
          i need to send her flowers or chocolates or pizza or something if this works!
          here's to hoping she wasn't just pulling your chain....

I also thought Spam was the demonstration of love in Hawaii....
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• YAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            plates came in today, driving her tomorrow. whoooohoooooooooo!

thank you j@sus!

Click image for larger version

Name:	myk503.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1270563
            Last edited by fatguyzinc; May 19, 2020, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• Comment

YAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                plates came in today, driving her tomorrow. whoooohoooooooooo!

thank you j@sus!

Click image for larger version

Name:	myk503.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1270563
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• ok, finally drove it to the gas station, $60 gave me
                  a little over 1/2 tank... booo....

and its hard to climb in/out, stiff & bouncy, the
                  swampers go "WUBBA WUBBA WUBBA" so
                  loud and make the steering kinda darty, the
                  brakes suck, the 350 is underpowered....

perfect. i love it.
                  Last edited by fatguyzinc; June 4, 2020, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Step stool on a rope so you can pull it in.. Torquey cam will solve your underpowered problem...

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      .. Torquey cam will solve your underpowered problem...

350/300hp+6000lb truck=doggy...
                      the fix is a 454 swap, heh heh... soon, soon.....
                      Last edited by fatguyzinc; June 9, 2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

the fix is a 454 swap, heh heh... soon, soon.....

Comment

• took some finnagalling to make em fit on the 8-lug axles, but these are 15x10 fronts and 15x12 rear bart supertruckers with 35x12.50x15 milestar patagonias. me and paz tag teamed the 4-1/2" angle grinder for a few hours today, and got em on.

why the 10"wide fronts and 12" rears? to try and bring the overall rear track width inline with the front, like most straight axle trucks the front stuck out a few inches more than the rear. not sure if its for ackerman angle when steering or just a styling gaff (forgot to subtract steering knuckle width?) but now its about spot-on.

the 36"swampers were the biggest 36's ive ever seen, coming in at a whopping 37.5" height unloaded. so these 35's are 34.25" unloaded, that finally got my bumper height on the money at 33". (thats the legal limit here for under 10k gvw)

the real reason for the 15" conversion though was because the 16.5" rim size was really hard to find tires for here in hawaii-- we ended up shipping them in, took 3 months and was $450+ per tire! ouch.

the barts were $79 each for the fronts and $83 each for the rears from summitracing (paz got em shipped free to stockton then got em in the weekly container to hawaii free) and the milestar tires were $139 each with free amazon prime shipping... plus next time I need tires, the common 15" rim size means easier to find and way cheaper than the 16.5's.

i miss the 'centerline' rims, but the barts kinda look like welds and the white paint gives the truck that sick 80's ghetto fabulous vibe--plus, no more WUBBA WUBBA WUBBA going down the road, these are almost silent AND drive better. (radials, the swampers were bias.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	k5newtire2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.1 KB ID:	1272379
                          Last edited by fatguyzinc; June 17, 2020, 01:54 AM.

Comment

• Looks good . I'd have probably gone with spacers on the rear with longer studs . But , you'd probably break them .
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                              Looks good . I'd have probably gone with spacers on the rear with longer studs . But , you'd probably break them .
                              yes, the rear came out 2" per side--id never run 2" spacers on ANYTHING, much less a 6000lb truck.
                              i am sure you are right, id have broken something shortly if i tried that route.

Comment

• finally, finally, FINALLY-- all 100 % legal. got recon, safety check, and registration.
                                man was that an almost 2yr exercise in frustration! compounded by the dang pandemic
                                closing everything. but seriously, the DMV here is even more archaic and @ssbackwards
                                than most. ridiculous trying to deal with them.

however like most cr@ppy deals in life--perseverance was the key, in the end i got
                                EXACTLY what i needed and wanted, done. just had to jump through a LOT of bullsh@t
                                hoops first. now, if you'll excuse me, i need an excuse to go drive the blazer, and a 7-11
                                slurpee sounds like a good reason!

Comment

Working...
                                X