Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to me, but not "brand new"...brand used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And a Casey's Country Store slurry toast back at you ! Congrats
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• so ive been collecting parts to 454 swap the blazer, and of COURSE i
      found a "d@mmit- i HAVE to buy it" deal on a 4spd and t-case combo...

its a weird NP A-833 variant (think hemi 4 spd...) gm marketed as a np440
      transmission. no granny 1st, they flipped the 3rd gear drive/driven gears
      and reversed the 3-4 shift lever so it actually shifts 1-2-4-3, (though with the
      standard H pattern due to flipped 3/4 lever) with 4th (now 3rd)
      being 1-1 and 3rd (now 4th...) being overdriven.

lotsa guys say theyre weak, a quick look tells me taint so. cast iron housing,
      and it IS a variant on a hemi 4spd. yes 3rd (now 4th....stay with me...) is "weaker"
      due to its 1-1 ratio, but that shift comes when youre already moving
      at a decent clip. same with 4th (now 3rd...pay attention, people!) being overdriven,
      big gear on small gear, that shift also happens when youre rolling along.

im sure it will work out fine.
      and as for the "have to buy" part?

i got the trans, transfercase, xmember, either/or bellhousing (hydro or mech linkage)
      both dshafts, and the very application specific hurst factory shifter (like $600
      just by itself on fleabay) for $400.. and brother teddy DELIVERED it to my garage too.

man, i hate it when a deals too good to pass up.....

Comment

• I bought that setup (w/ 208) when doing my Blazer maybe 15 years ago, the trans needed rebuilt but it was easy. There's a whole story and sad ending to that project, I still have those parts in the barn.

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
          so ive been collecting parts to 454 swap the blazer, and of COURSE i
          found a "d@mmit- i HAVE to buy it" deal on a 4spd and t-case combo...

its a weird NP A-833 variant (think hemi 4 spd...) gm marketed as a np440
          transmission. no granny 1st, they flipped the 3rd gear drive/driven gears
          and reversed the 3-4 shift lever so it actually shifts 1-2-4-3, (though with the
          standard H pattern due to flipped 3/4 lever) with 4th (now 3rd)
          being 1-1 and 3rd (now 4th...) being overdriven.

lotsa guys say theyre weak, a quick look tells me taint so. cast iron housing,
          and it IS a variant on a hemi 4spd. yes 3rd (now 4th....stay with me...) is "weaker"
          due to its 1-1 ratio, but that shift comes when youre already moving
          at a decent clip. same with 4th (now 3rd...pay attention, people!) being overdriven,
          big gear on small gear, that shift also happens when youre rolling along.

im sure it will work out fine.
          and as for the "have to buy" part?

i got the trans, transfercase, xmember, either/or bellhousing (hydro or mech linkage)
          both dshafts, and the very application specific hurst factory shifter (like $600
          just by itself on fleabay) for $400.. and brother teddy DELIVERED it to my garage too.

man, i hate it when a deals too good to pass up.....
          people on a forum of people who like to dress up like semen swore the AW5 I used in my '40 would "blow up the first time I drove it".... lol.... yeah, there are also people who can break rocks in a sandbox - so what? that 2-4 shift, though....
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 15, 2022, 06:52 AM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Thought that was an AX-15?

I had the NV3500 predecessor in my Chevy dually, towing the Challenger, or a travel trailer, and never a problem despite a number of warnings. Then the SM465/Doug Nash OD I used next met everyone's approval but was a P.O.S. Use a manual trans properly and you can get by with what others say will break.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

that 2-4 shift, though....
              thus the 454 swap, with 500+ftlb from 2000rpm thru 6500+rpm.
              thats a torque curve that no LS can match without an adder, and
              sometimes even WITH an adder!

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post
                I bought that setup (w/ 208) when doing my Blazer maybe 15 years ago, the trans needed rebuilt but it was easy. There's a whole story and sad ending to that project, I still have those parts in the barn.
                got the application specific hydro pedal setup? thats the
                one thing im missing, and the conversion is over $350....

Comment

Thought that was an AX-15?

I had the NV3500 predecessor in my Chevy dually, towing the Challenger, or a travel trailer, and never a problem despite a number of warnings. Then the SM465/Doug Nash OD I used next met everyone's approval but was a P.O.S. Use a manual trans properly and you can get by with what others say will break.
                  nope, very similar transmission but not... biggest differences I know is the input shaft (borg warner spline count) and the rear bolt pattern (5 bolt like you find on 4L60e).

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

got the application specific hydro pedal setup? thats the
                    one thing im missing, and the conversion is over $350....
                    What I had for it was the old-school mechanical linkage which I think I wound up using on the SM465/205 I went with later. All this because of multiple failed 700R4s.

Comment

What I had for it was the old-school mechanical linkage which I think I wound up using on the SM465/205 I went with later. All this because of multiple failed 700R4s.

ah yes, this bellhousing will take either/or hydraulic (85-87 pedals with this trans only, yay....)
                      or the older style mechanical linkage like the 'granny gear' 465/420 transmissions.

just thought a juice clutch would be nice.......

and dont get me started on 700R4 trannys, LOL... theres a th350 in this truck right now
                      because of that very reason.

needed O/D to meet CAFE standards, but the 700R4 has a 260ft/lb max torque rating.
                      gee. i dont understand why they fail when installed in a 5000+lb truck that may or may not
                      see some abuse......

IMO that 700R4 and variants (4L60, 4L60E, 4L65E...) are THE worst gm transmissions
                      ever designed and implemented.
                      Last edited by fatguyzinc; May 16, 2022, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• I think "my" Blazer (it was the sister-in-law's originally) was an '82, or whatever was the first year for the 700R4, the trans worked OK until it was re-build time then nobody could do it to last more than a couple hundred miles. That got old fast. With that, I'm not familiar w/ the later hydraulic setup until the GMT400s but man I go a long way to avoid hydraulic clutches due to how they wear on throwout bearings or as on our Cherokee often seem to settle in making about 90% of the travel it should have...just my thing I-guess as most people like them.

Comment

I think "my" Blazer (it was the sister-in-law's originally) was an '82, or whatever was the first year for the 700R4, the trans worked OK until it was re-build time then nobody could do it to last more than a couple hundred miles. That got old fast. With that, I'm not familiar w/ the later hydraulic setup until the GMT400s but man I go a long way to avoid hydraulic clutches due to how they wear on throwout bearings or as on our Cherokee often seem to settle in making about 90% of the travel it should have...just my thing I-guess as most people like them.
                          oh but to hear the whine of those who use a hydraulic clutch when you put them in a car that is full-man.

I think the 700r4 was the absolute worst until the changes effected in 85 on the Corvettes then 86 on everything else... biggest problem was there was no lube to the overdrive and slower speeds - GM was dumb there, should have put a lockout on 4th below 40 mph and not locked the clutch up below 1800 rpm... but they did, and burned many bridges (and transmissions) in the process.... by the time they got the 4L60e, they were a reliable transmission - still not going to recommend one for any kind of high performance mod motor - but still, they worked okay... but that 82-84... ugh... your experience is really, really common.

Comment

• so it was safety check time again, the guy laughed and then told me in the year since the last safety check,
                            i put 3 miles on the blazer. i said after he did it last year i drove it home and havent moved it since,
                            just start it up every 2-3 weeks for 5 minutes. (i know, bad for oil. thats why i changed it before i drove it, lol...)
                            the current economy has made my $75 fill up for a 30 gallon tank become $165+ now.... and it lasts a week if
                            i daily her.

i could kinda sorta afford the $300/month gas bill 3 years ago, but i absolutely cannot afford $650+ a month
                            in gas, so she s just hibernating till things get better, i win the lottery, or someone offers me the jay leno
                            price to buy it. lame. oh well it is what it is! note ugly mudflaps and lack of kc daylighters in 2nd pic--thats
                            what it took to pass this year. even tho the daylighters werent wired, hadda remove them as "no DOT # on lenses"......

Click image for larger version  Name:	myk505.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.4 KB ID:	1351705

Click image for larger version  Name:	myk504.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.3 KB ID:	1351706
                            Last edited by fatguyzinc; March 25, 2024, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• I'd be most concerned that the gas would go bad in 3 years.... still, nice truck, even if it is a bit light in the lift department

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                                I'd be most concerned that the gas would go bad in 3 years.... still, nice truck, even if it is a bit light in the lift department
                                one year. 3 miles.
                                10" of lift is mild?
                                oh wait, i bet you tell women that "this is 10 inches"....

Comment

Working...
                                X