Speed Trap Trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Trap Trap

This was a news story online today. The cops in Florida set up a speed trap in a neighborhood at the request of the residents. They were puzzled. They sat there hiding, but nobody was going fast. When they went to leave the scene, they found this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Trap.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1240879

Which made me remember, there was a court case some years ago. I can't remember where, but a driver got charged and/or arrested for flashing their headlights at oncoming traffic to warn about a speed trap. That's illegal to do that in some states but I believe it was overruled by a higher court, in the belief that flashing the headlights is a form of freedom of speech.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

As long as people slow down justice is served. Protest it and you are just looking to fatten revenue. Local law enforcement is a public service funded by taxes, NOT fines.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
      As long as people slow down justice is served. Protest it and you are just looking to fatten revenue. Local law enforcement is a public service funded by taxes, NOT fines.
      I agree to disagree about NOT fines. But let's don't go there on a happy night. I don't want to at all. I just thought that plywood sign was pure genius.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The average patrol officer makes $1250 a week. Add in additional labor expenses for him and administration, operating expenses, vehicle expenses the real cost is several times that. The tickets that stick would be a drop in that bucket. The amount taken in actually goes DOWN with municipality size. So they don't NEED to write a lot of tickets to pay for things, just to punish.

City council members and chiefs of police in Washington, Chicago, Boston, New York and Cleveland ought to seriously consider prioritizing basic policing over revenue generation. It will require some difficult budgetary prioritization for a year or two, but the return on investment in improved public safety and community relations would be worth it.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
        X