Overused Cliche Terms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overused Cliche Terms

I was somewhere over 30 years old. I had moved out of my parents' house for the third and final time. I was housed in a 4-apartment strip complex next door to a 23-year old female. She's the first person I ever heard say, "Whatever," as a complete statement. I'd never heard that before, but I sort of liked that. Whatever. I'll use that later. That must be a part of the new young vocabulary. It was nearly a vivid moment, I remember where we were standing when she said that. On our shared front porch, actually. Whatever.

At some point my brother who is 9 years older than me, he retired on his own terms. His retirement goal, as stated beforehand, was to see if it's actually possible to play too much golf. He was on a driving range, hitting golf balls and destroyed a major tendon in his left foot. He was down for the count. He was in a walking cast for nearly a year. He and I don't talk a whole lot, but we were on the the phone and he was telling me about it. He said, "It is what it IS." That's the first time I'd ever heard that one, another vivid moment.

There's got to be more overused statements than those two.
    Last edited by pdub; April 22, 2019, 05:29 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

sort of
    kinda (kind of)

I was the journalist sounding voice over the cockpit radio talking to pilots and towers ops and wherever else.

there is no sorta or kinda...
    drives me nuts in journalism to this day.

I'd like to punch the insecure dweeb who coined the terms.

edit:

there is some good ones...

"all good" right to the point.. many others. just can't think of them.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 22, 2019, 05:49 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Broke the internet...

Comment

I said it earlier. "No Brainer" tops my list lately.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

MY BAD. When I hear that I want to force blood from the clown and repeat the phrase, "Oh, my bad."
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

And oh yes, not a cliché, but WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Stupidest noise on earth!

Comment

See somebody say "whoo" on tv closed captions say "wow"
              Or they say "whoah". And captionsome other word..

Comment

Game changer
                I got this
                Let's do this
                I got your back

And last but not least "You 'da man!"

Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Bro

Comment

My brother said "whatever to a guy" the guy said why don't you just tell me to fork off cause that's what whatever means. So my brother tells the guy to fork off and proceeded to pound his face. The guy was asking for it and got it.
                    Last edited by ratpatrol66; April 23, 2019, 01:09 AM.

Comment

I like watching sailing videos . And this one lady , as her best compliment of a place or thing is chill. As in " .....we wanted to go to this island because it is super chill ." Yet I can't stop watching because the the scenery is just beautiful. MJ Sailing of you want to know .
                      Last edited by Dan Barlow; April 23, 2019, 01:03 PM.
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Thanks for reaching out to me..........
                        No problem......
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Overuse is kind of the definition of cliche, isn't it? That's HOW it got to be a cliche.
                          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

"Original miles".
                            1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                            1997 Mustang GT
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm with Teddy - are there "unoriginal miles"? I should put that in my next car ad.

We get TV newscasters and weather folks who are fresh out of college - sort of a first job. Most last a year (I'm guessing they sign a 1 year contract) and either move on to a bigger market or leave the profession. Lately the weather kids have taken to saying "as well" about every other phrase they mutter - drives me nuts. So we get reports such as, "It'll be warm today and cool tonight as well." Notice that the "as well" makes no sense and simply isn't needed. I'm wondering if journalism schools are teaching them to say that instead of "Um...."?

And "no problem" remains a problem.......

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X