The Driver's Reponsibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Driver's Reponsibility

I've got to tell the truth, if anyone's interested. The first reason is, the race car driver has to be able to get out of the car quickly if it's on fire. You'd better get out. Right now I'm not able to do it in any kind of a hurry.

The inspector in tech would not let me drive the race car when he saw me try to get out of the car right now. And that's as it should be.

The second reason I'm not in Arkansas is Sue Unit. She's not all that well either. I need to be here at home, and I'm glad I am. It's all too easy to take it all for granted. That simple thing called mobility. Enjoy it while you can. And gravity sucks. More than once.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Man I'm really sorry you guys are messed up . Any idea how long on the outside it will be till you all can at least get around town normally ?
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Well, optimistically, never say never. Sue Unit fell again this morning while I was on the phone with Patrick who called from Arkansas. I had to hang up on him quick. She fell straight down on her face that time, she's hurt up all brand new again.

Her major most thing is stenosis. She can turn her head up or down or sideways and she blacks out and goes down. I believe the clock has run out on us. Even If I could do jumping jacks myself I will not leave her alone. I can't, I won't. It's been a great run. I have no regrets at all.

Comment

Hate to hear that. Hope you guys heal quickly.

I refuse to go peacefully or quietly. It's painful on a new level almost daily but am not going to lay down to wait for death. I've watched two give up on life, I still have dreams and desires to follow that path.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I'm just glad I lived long enough to know Dan Stokes went 178 mph!!!! That is way too cool. Dang and I wasn't there.

Comment

Of course you know this but just let me back it up by saying you are doing the right thing. There are people out there who don't. Hang in there and know there are a lot of folks in your corner.

Comment

Thank you John. Sue and I know that we've been far more fortunate and luckier than most folks in the long run. And it's been a long happy run. It's not all been fun but a whole lot of it was. A grand great whole lot of it was super fun. I only wish I didn't get addicted to road courses for so long. That's expensive, getting passed all the time, but it's fun trying.

Comment

We're praying for you guys.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

We too are praying for you guys... We are afraid that we will be cutting this trip short as well.... Rain is predicted today, and with things going on at home that we have no control over, we will be headed north.... Dan, Andy, Scott, and Ron, it was a very entertaining day to say the least yesterday... Be safe and we wish all of you a pleasant trip back home!
                  Last edited by silver_bullet; April 27, 2019, 06:18 AM.
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                    We too are praying for you guys... We are afraid that we will be cutting this trip short as well.... Rain is predicted today, and with things going on at home that we have no control over, we will be headed north.... Dan, Andy, Scott, and Ron, it was a very entertaining day to say the least yesterday... Be safe and we wish all of you a pleasant trip back home!
                    Travel well, Brother. It's great that you saw where insane folks do insane things in the middle of nowhere. Yep, you saw it. Well worth the drive. Give Tammy a hug for us.

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                      Hate to hear that. Hope you guys heal quickly.

I refuse to go peacefully or quietly. It's painful on a new level almost daily but am not going to lay down to wait for death. I've watched two give up on life, I still have dreams and desires to follow that path.
                      Today I'm paying dearly for trying to live that comment. Sometimes it's better to understand your limitations than to try to push them.

There's still tomorrow and its dreams / plans.

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post

There's still tomorrow and its dreams / plans.
                        Stop here overnight if you'd like to on the way back. A rest stop where you don't get much rest from the hurting.

Comment

You are right, Pdub...
                          My last driven derby, I walked up to the car with a cane, used a foot stool and held onto my kid's hand getting across the hood..
                          Had I needed to bail, would NOT BE ABLE TO!
                          Getting out, I rolled off the hood into the mud..
                          Hammer on the head...first hip replacement.
                          Have tried to do some hits on the farm against a dead car.. NOPE, cannot.. Would LOVE to run ONE MORE.. With both kids..never had the honor of running with my daughter, a big big regret.. Have heard 2nd hand she also regrets we never got to run together.
                          Got a knee replacement soon... So likely never see me in a derby car. It is such a rush.

Comment

Sue's got stand-alone medical issues, but mine is bound to be nature's payback. Here's what you get. I rode a bicycle 30 thousand miles, I logged that many miles while I was keeping written notes on it all, and I did it without getting run over. All over America. And I only crashed once, right in front of my house. That was Joe Namath knee surgery back then.

So what comes after that so many years later? Feet, hands, knees, back, shoulders, hips, neck...… I did it all to myself, I'm sure I did. And I would do it again if I was that young again. But I wouldn't do it now because there's about 3 times more traffic no matter where you go. Any form of racing is safer than that now.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Stop here overnight if you'd like to on the way back. A rest stop where you don't get much rest from the hurting.
                              That's past my destination so it'll have to be separate trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X