The California Compliant Gas Can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The California Compliant Gas Can

Today I surprised myself and got to feeling well enough to at least drive Junior the Riding Lawnmower. It's sort of like a road course in the yard. I can't walk very far without buckling and going OW, but I can at least sit down and drive.

But Junior needed some gas. I've got some, in that dadgum sorry who-invented-that California compliant plastic 2-gallon jug. With the fancy supposed-to-be spill-proof snout. which actually spills and leaks more than any other method. By now I've defeated all of that, I've torn the little ratchets off of it so I can at least take the snout off of it with bad hands at the gas station to fill it up. Today I didn't have enough good walking steps left in me to go all the way into the garage and get the really huge funnel, that wasn't worth it.

So I removed the snout and just commenced to pouring and aiming, poorly. I poured gas on the mower, the engine, the ground, all over the place, splashing. But I got some in the tank-hole. Some. So much for the environment.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I know what I'd like to do with that gas can and the inventor
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I know someone that also removes that finger-cutting triangle-pyramid thing that the ratchet teeth ride against. Names left out to protect the smart-enough to use the old-style gas can without spilling fuel everywhere and also smart enough to modify the new-style can so that it doesn't spill everywhere either or cut fingers while trying to use the darned thing.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

They sell kits on amazon to make them old school.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep48COE View Post
          They sell kits on amazon to make them old school.
          Good info - I'll check that out. My Diesel can is horrible to use and, of course, I have to use it frequently.

Dan

Comment

Psst........buy “utility jugs”.

They come in appropriate colors, are fuel compatible - though not approved by some overreaching government agency - and are reasonably priced at Summit or Jets.

(I have 3 old style gas cans that I treasure.....and one yellow utility jug for the diesel.)
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Comment

i have an old plastic jug. are all the new ones this california style you guys are talking about? can someone post a pic of what they look like? just curious. never heard of them before. i'm living in the woods here in florida.
                Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                  i have an old plastic jug. are all the new ones this california style you guys are talking about? can someone post a pic of what they look like? just curious. never heard of them before. i'm living in the woods here in florida.
                  Next time at the store, look at the gas cans. That's all you can get now. A photo doesn't describe how screwed up it is. And even in your hand at the store you don't know how screwed up it is until you try to actually use it.

Comment

Standon your head, patting your belly whilst pouring...

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                      can someone post a pic of what they look like? just curious. never heard of them before. i'm living in the woods here in florida.

Click image for larger version

Name:	02479cd1-04f9-4eaa-9140-2d52815180cb_1.08e2523505a123eae7f7725e5a4ebece.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1242447

Comment

this is the next one I will buy if I ever feel the need to stupidly spend money

You literally fold the spout down to the gas tank and put you thumb on the trigger to allow fuel flow....
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Am I the only one that gets tired of being forced to be 'California compliant'?
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                            No.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                              No we get tired of it also. Things that help reduce smog, such as attempting to trade VOC's around between gas station tanks, car fuel tanks, and gas cans rather than just push them out into the air each time are OK with me, but the California Compliant Politics and financial tricks get to be a drag.

Comment

Working...
                              X