X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanStokes
    started a topic Nice Surprise From Advance Auto

Nice Surprise From Advance Auto

Mutt's currently running 30 PSI boost and I suspect I may want to run more as the more boost I throw at him the better he seems to like it. The problem is that the cheapo boost gage I'm running goes from -30-0-30PSI so after 30 I'm guessing at the boost although 30 clicks on the controller seems to equal 5 psi pretty consistently. Still, I want a gage.

So I on-line ordered up an Eqqus 0-60 PSI boost pressure gage from Advance - they don't have them in-store. Took them FOREVER to send it - it was about 8 days before I got it. That was NOT the nice surprise. Then I opened the box yesterday and it was a -30-0-30 PSI gage which I already have 2 of. Also not the nice surprise. (stay with me here......) So I call Advance and got India though the guy had REALLY good English - sort of a win. So he gave the usual apologies but then dropped an interesting piece of info on me - you can take web-ordered stuff back to any Advance store along with the web order number (it's on the paperwork in the box) and they'll send it back (no shipping) and issue you a refund. Easy-peasy.

So I drive to my local Advance (I won't say I go there often but some of the guys know my phone number by heart) and lay the gage on the counter and tell them the deal. They handled the return just like the guy on the phone said they would so that was WIN #1. Then I asked the counter guy if they could order the right one and son-of-a-gun, there it is on the screen. So I ask "how much" and after some calculating of discount (I have discount coupons by the bunch) he says "$0.00" given the return of the wrong one - WIN #2. I figure I can afford that and it's on its way. It'll be at the store next Thursday as it comes from Eqqus and not Advance but I can live with that. The store is literally at the end of my street so picking it up there is no hardship at all. Pretty pleased about this.

Dan

• DanStokes
    replied

Cool beans Andy, you'll be good as new. What makes me smile is that you and Dan hooked up in Arkansas. I wasn't there, but I was "there" thanks to your coverage. I was there heart and soul the whole time. You just couldn't see me. I was there.
    We missed you, Buddy.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Hi Dan - thanks - it's coming along. It's been a week now, and getting a bit more motion back every day.
    Cool beans Andy, you'll be good as new. What makes me smile is that you and Dan hooked up in Arkansas. I wasn't there, but I was "there" thanks to your coverage. I was there heart and soul the whole time. You just couldn't see me. I was there.

Leave a comment:

• Red_Kitty
    replied
    Hi Dan - thanks - it's coming along. It's been a week now, and getting a bit more motion back every day.

And yes it was the ALDA - the vertical rod had separated from the disc, so it was inop.
    Last edited by Red_Kitty; May 17th, 2019, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

Fixed some vacuum leaks and replaced some sticky valves and a broken diaphragm in the fuel metering system on the fuel pump were the main items. Also replaced the radio antenna. Rest was decorative trim parts.
    The ALDA was probably the bad diaphragm. ALDA is a contraction or some such for a German term - it modifies fuel delivery vs boost pressure. They could have put in a Dieselmeken pump and doubled the HP! But that might not have been the goal.

Speaking of nice surprises - the 2:73 R&P arrived today from Richmond along with the installation kit. David Rackley will come to my shop with all his nifty set up tools and do the set-up so I'll pull the diff and clean everything up before he gets here. His ETA is sometime Tuesday so I'll try to have everything ready for him by then.

BTW - Andy - how's your arm coming along? Hope all is well.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Red_Kitty
    replied

They were talking about it on the Mercedes forum I'm on but I missed the episode. Hope to catch it on a re-broadcast. Wondering what they did to it but I'm guessing that, among other things, the fixed the sunroof drains and the broken-down driver's seat, both common problems.

Dan
    Fixed some vacuum leaks and replaced some sticky valves and a broken diaphragm in the fuel metering system on the fuel pump were the main items. Also replaced the radio antenna. Rest was decorative trim parts.
    Last edited by Red_Kitty; May 17th, 2019, 06:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Did you see the 1985 300TD wagon restored on Wheeler Dealers this week?
    They were talking about it on the Mercedes forum I'm on but I missed the episode. Hope to catch it on a re-broadcast. Wondering what they did to it but I'm guessing that, among other things, the fixed the sunroof drains and the broken-down driver's seat, both common problems.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Maybe not quite a derail, but y'all know I don't know jack about engines, and I'm not proud for not knowing, but.....I'm just curious. 30PSI boost and going for more? What does it take to blow the heads off of that thing?
    Watch tractor pulls.. Several engines, yes. But count turbos and blowers on each engine.. Compounding turbos being driven by blowers as well..

Leave a comment:

• Red_Kitty
    replied

I'm guessing I'll end up at 45ish. Remember, this IS a Diesel with a completely forged bottom end (the pistons, connecting rods, and crankshaft are all forged rather than simple machined casting and therefore much stronger) and there are lots of headbolts for each cylinder (6/cylinder IIRC ) so the head stays seated, and the whole deal is German overbuilt (I can relate). So it's tougher than the average bear. We'll find out!

Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	figure_1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	1243350 Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	1243352

Last edited by Red_Kitty; May 17th, 2019, 05:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Red_Kitty
    replied
    Did you see the 1985 300TD wagon restored on Wheeler Dealers this week?
    Last edited by Red_Kitty; May 17th, 2019, 05:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RockJustRock
    replied
    It took me a while to catch on. When hanging around tractor pull guys and Diesel guys for a long time I'd shriek "But, but, won't it detonate?". They'd always chuckle and say "Why yes, but it's supposed to.". Makes me wonder about direct injection and gasoline, but it only works in a radical level there to make up for the vaporization gasoline requires. Also the question is can Diesels gain from some "injection lead" the way gasoline gains from spark lead? Diesel guys only talk about two injection timings, right and wrong.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Maybe not quite a derail, but y'all know I don't know jack about engines, and I'm not proud for not knowing, but.....I'm just curious. 30PSI boost and going for more? What does it take to blow the heads off of that thing?
    The answer is - quite a bit. The guys in Europe are running 60 PSI (I know - weird that it's in American units.... maybe 3 atmospheres?) supposedly with no bad results. I'm guessing I'll end up at 45ish. Remember, this IS a Diesel with a completely forged bottom end (the pistons, connecting rods, and crankshaft are all forged rather than simple machined casting and therefore much stronger) and there are lots of headbolts for each cylinder (6/cylinder IIRC ) so the head stays seated, and the whole deal is German overbuilt (I can relate). So it's tougher than the average bear. We'll find out!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Admirall2
    replied
    30PSI boost and going for more?
    Because Diesel.

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Last edited by pdub; May 17th, 2019, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RockJustRock
    replied
    There is a reason and that is the courts have ruled you don't have to return any item sent in error to get a replacement. Some online retailers were filling out of stocks with alternates and hoping the hassle would impel to customer to compromise. If they ship it to you in error it is now YOURS at no charge.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X