Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scariest or Stupidest Thing You've Ever Done

This might prove interesting, maybe.

My scariest thing no doubt was Turn 12 at Road Atlanta. Over and over and over again, lap after lap, and I PAID money to do this. Many times.

I'm pretty sure my stupidest thing, and I forget a lot these days, was to climb high line power towers in the middle of the night. All the way up to the tension wires and just enjoy the view from there. You can see Charlotte from Rock Hill on top of one of those. You can hear the power humming through those wires. The human brain is not fully developed until sometime around the age of 30, so you can't yet determine the difference between a risk and a thrill. So that was not scary at the time, it was only just stupid.
    Last edited by pdub; May 25, 2019, 02:39 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Stupidest? Dad had just passed 4 months before.. I was running my scrap hauls (45 appliances per load, 2 loads a day, 4 days a week, being dad, and keeping the farm going with 20 Black Angus... Just got done with 45 tons of hay.. Headed to the derby.. My bucket of door bolts was left home so I hooked my 20' chains to the door and duct taped them in.. First 2-3 hits, no problem.. Then the middle broke free from the seat bar.. My arm, shoulder and neck were black and blue and very sore... Start of the 2 weeks in bed to recover after derbys. Now? Mechanicals done before paint!

Comment

stupidest...
      an unknown motor output in an old g-body
      we slapped it together with giggles and beers.
      went well over 150mph.
      the stretchy automatic and needle buried at 110 in second. Who the heck knew.
      until the 7 mile curve was a bit too steep for comfort.

joining an air guard unit during tail end of a war time.
      advice:
      when the flightline is a ghost town with old planes and puddles.

run boy run.
      I am going to die with no real accreditation.Made people sick with gulf war 1 problems, including house pets.
      did more work than the 90 day white smiling teeth war tour for 6 tortured years.
      its like being a serial killer.

A hospital for neurology.. inpatient as death was imminent. Head pressure, physical inflammation.
      the stupid doctor went babbling on about psychology after doors were locked.
      it took ten years for said doctor to lose license. I have never recovered the defamation..because it is actually TBI with no defense.

and lastly..
      letting old steel go...dumbest things I have ever done. Had 23 vehicles as a result.
      mig welders FTW.
      I have never been so satisfied to take on someones steel drama.

Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Scariest.. I was wiring in a 24v control circuit in a huge 'live' 1200amp Siemens drive cabinet. I leaned into the 2 1/2" 3 phase busbars that were inches away. My boss grabbed me by the back of my shirt and pulled me out of the cabinet with 1 hand (I'm fat, he's strong).

Stupidest.. Torching a gas tank out of a van (done it a million times) hit the hose, got a flare up, flash burned my eyes for a week, turned them beet red. I can't torch or weld anymore because of that..

**Deadliest.. When a Warner & Swasey 1AB running a tubing job pulled me in and nearly tore my right arm off at the shoulder. That took years to recover from, still recovering to this day actually.

Comment

All you're going to get from me is -crickets- on this one. Why should I give away what might make a good 125-chapter book someday?

OK, there was one involving a train.

You can't really have a "thing" occur with a train that wouldn't be scary, and also stupid because anything bad that happens between you and a train ain't gonna be the train's fault.

Yeah... Next?

Comment

Easy - first marriage. (Both scary AND stupid). Though I DID get two wonderful daughters out of that......

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; May 25, 2019, 09:36 PM.

Comment

stupid, but not the stupidest. It was one of the more fun ones.

[ATTACH] For the past few years, I've participated in Hot Rod Magazine's Drag Week. This is where we race at a drag strip, then drive the race car to...

another stupid, again not the stupidest, but also fun

It's time....my brother David and I are heading out today for the LeMons Rally, down the Mother Road. We drive to Joliet, IL hoping to get there before...

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                You can't really have a "thing" occur with a train that wouldn't be scary, and also stupid because anything bad that happens between you and a train ain't gonna be the train's fault.
                That reminds me of a thing, let's add "lucky" to the equation. I went out way into the woods in SC to visit some friends. It was the first and only time I went out there. I wasn't even familiar with the roads in that sector of the county. We ate and visited, I had maybe two beers maximum because I knew I had to drive back home from back in there. It was way past dark, time to go home. I got back onto the main road, which was actually just a little side road.

Driving along, I came upon a car that appeared to be stopped in the road, headlights flashing - left, right, left, right, like a cop car or something. I slowed way down as I got closer, puzzled. Well, that was an unlit railroad grade crossing and that car was on the other side of the tracks waiting for the train to go by and it was hauling ass. It was the train's wheels that made it look like the headlights were flashing.

If that car hadn't been waiting there on the other side of the tracks I would have definitely absolutely driven underneath that train.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Jumped out of a perfectly functional airplane 'for fun'!

Comment

i once looked my mother in the eye and told her she
                    didnt scare me anymore.....

that was scary AND stupid. and yes even at 28
                    years old at the time, i got a beating for it.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                      i once looked my mother in the eye and told her she
                      didnt scare me anymore.....

that was scary AND stupid. and yes even at 28
                      years old at the time, i got a beating for it.
                      You EARNED it!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

You EARNED it!

Dan
                        absolutely. like i said- that was scary AND stupid, hah hah....

Comment

Drift Busting

Up in Wisconsin if the conditions were just right after the roads were plowed the wind would come up and blow huge scallop shaped piles of snow across the road 3 to 5 feet high. You'd judge by what was left of the road and drive into them as fast as you dared. You'd have to countersteer because the resistance would steer you into them. Good ones would totally white out the windshield at the moment of impact.

Because it was so rare to have the conditions just right, you just HAD to do it when they were!

Actually all kinds of winter driving hijinks because you'd get so comfy warm and dry after a few miles you just felt invincible. Getting where you were going without getting stuck was such a feeling of accomplishment.
                          Last edited by RockJustRock; May 27, 2019, 12:01 AM.
                          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

And let's not forget motorcycle shit.
                            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Well, there are a lot of things that could fit the bill, but the first thing that came to mind was an episode with the Austin-Healey Sprite I drove during college. Back then I belonged to a local sports car club and did a lot of time-speed-distance rallying. On one particular rally my navigator and I missed a turn somewhere and ended up on a narrow one lane dirt road. Knowing that we were behind in time, I pushed it much faster than I should have. We hit a dip in the road, a sort of natural drain or little creek when the water was high enough. With the jolt we went airborne high enough that we somehow veered to the right over a ditch into a field of small pine trees. Incredibly we missed the ditch ( I guess we literally flew over it.) and the trees. The only real damage was that my oil pressure gauge stopped working. (I never fixed it)

Comment

Working...
                              X