Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear End Oil

Get yer head outta the gutter!!!

Now seriously - I have the new rear end girdle on Mutt but that raises a question: The fill plug on the girdle is about 1 1/2" or so higher than the factory fill/level check hole. So which one do you use to determine the correct fill level? I have about 3 quarts in there and it's right according to the factory fill plug (the girdle has WAY more capacity than the stock rear end cover) but way low by the plug in the girdle. Maybe the one in the girdle is just supposed to be a FILL plug and not the one that shows the fill level. I could find no mention of this in the instructions. Anyone have any info on this?

Dan

according to the TA Performance instructions, On Dana 60 and 70, fill with 2-1/2 Quarts of fluid

not sure what brand you have
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Went back and looked..
      Do you have the gurdle on upside down..
      Looks like if you flipped it, both fill holes seem the same?
      Having it like this, you can fill one watching out the stocker..
      Don't wanna go blowing seals.

Comment

"on GM and ford products, fill withfluid until fluid rus out the factory fill location on the side of the housing"

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

to a point, having more fluid in the rear differential is a good thing - it provides cooling... of course, if it comes out the vent then it's too much, but by the same token I run about 2x more then 'stock' levels in my 4x4s to good effect
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You might want to run it a little low. In the old days Pro Stock guys would drain the rear axle for the finals of big races for less resistance. All fun and games until somebody had one lock up in the lights. It's a good thing I don't land speed. Tires pumped up hard, lubes low and brake pads backed out.
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Just to waste bandwidth I'll say all I know about rear end oil is that it stinks. Blower lube stinks, too. So bad it leaves a taste in your mouth. It might even be the same stuff, it sure stinks the same.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

If it's coming out the factory hole you are fine. Might could take a little out. With the c-clip eliminators the axle bearings don't need oil they are sealed (at least mine are)

I never pulled the factory pull on mine but I thought it looked lower than factory fill.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

I went back and looked the one on my car says trickflow. The fill pug is below the center line. I should probably pull the factory fill and check level.
                  Last edited by Russell; May 26, 2019, 04:35 AM.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    "on GM and ford products, fill withfluid until fluid rus out the factory fill location on the side of the housing"
                    Thanks Jim - that's the real answer. Somehow I missed that in my review on the instructions. I guess that answers the question of the fill plug in the girdle - it's exactly that, a FILL plug.

Bob - nope, it's right side up. The lettering reads properly and the drain plug is at the bottom.

Dan

Comment

If it wasn't a level checker hole, hasta be a fill hole..
                      I guess the rule of thumb is the factory holes are the level holes.

Seeing you never street drive this, would thinner gear oil be better? 50 weight?
                      I'd stick with 80...

Comment

"I run about 2x more then 'stock' levels in my 4x4s to good effect"

What good effect? This is one of the Youtube videos from Banks about aftermarket differential covers and overfilling your differential. If the aftermarket cover doesn't have a raised ridge behind the ring gear to keep it away from the ring gear (and so it can return quickly to the bottom of the pumpkin) the ring gear will cause the lube to foam and raise the lube level. Air isn't a good lubricate so it causes the lube to heat up from the friction. The same thing happens when you add too much lube, the ring gear will foam it up. If you don't believe it watch the Banks videos.

Do rear diff covers really work or are they just bling? Gale Banks aims to find out. And here's how he's going to do it.Buy Banks new patented Ram-Air Diff C...
                        Last edited by dieselhead; May 26, 2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I think I saw that one; the raised ridge was to help feed oil into the axle tubes during regular driving I thought. I've sometimes added little feeder chutes there on my Chev rear ends to keep the behind-a-seal axle bearings from wearing so much. Over-filling would get you more oil thrashing about and foaming up, except in a four-by where you're going slow and may be at odd angles for extended time it would help keep the full-float end bearings in oil.

Comment

I used to get running cars to derby. Added Power Punch to the rears "just because". 50/50 usually.
                            Had a wore out 429 Caddy I poured the whole gallon in the motor. After the qualifying heat, the PP just dripped off the dipstick like water..

Now we have dedicated rears and motors.

Comment

I would go to the factory fill level,,, found these videos

Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X