• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops I did it again

and bought another dirt squirter.

nice and clean

Doing it all wrong since 1966

'tis fun.... it's a 2009 CRF 450r - so EFI, tune, has an aftermarket pipe, exhaust, piston, cams, bigger radiators... seems well put together and well maintained. It isn't new, but it's pretty nice. I need to rebuild the rear bearings and the rear brakes don't grab as hard as I'd like.... that said the 1st through 4th wheelie down my street suggests this has adequate power

Comment

You like them nutzo, huh? .
      Like the 530 KTM better than the CR250
      But the 78 XL350 is more my style.. If I can only start it!

Comment

Dirt bikes are hard to get out of your system, I find the bang for buck value is hard to beat.
        In a car or on a road bike to get that adrenaline rush your breaking the law, with the dirt bike your not.

I still manage a few thousand kilometers a year on my 13 Husqvarna TE449.

I still have in the shed a 90 KTM 540 EXC, sold as a DXC in the US. They are the big two stroke desert racers KTM only sold in AUS and the US.
        They are actually 548cc, in the later models the called them 550's.Very powerful but also manageable as they have a totally different power delivery than a CR500 or KX500, it's a grunt type of delivery.

Took it down the 1/4 many moons ago with a road tyre on the rear... 13.6 at 103 short shifting to keep the front down, it was all really over by the 1/8 really!

Looks to be a good one you got there SBG.
        Last edited by 65RHDEER; May 27, 2019, 11:14 PM.
        Tim
        Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

they stop, corner, and ride SO much better than either of my CR500's or the KX500...
          but ill still take the 2 stroke 500 everytime. its the only thing thats strong enough to
          move my fat @ss, rode every color 450"F" and went back to my dinosaur 30yr old smokers.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
            they stop, corner, and ride SO much better than either of my CR500's or the KX500...
            but ill still take the 2 stroke 500 everytime. its the only thing thats strong enough to
            move my fat @ss, rode every color 450"F" and went back to my dinosaur 30yr old smokers.
            the bike before was a CR500af, putting that motor in the CRF250 frame was the best thing I ever did - suddenly it handled and thumped. I got tired of numb hands and the tiny fuel tank. Never get tired of the power or the noise, though. This is just so much easier to ride but with the same power- according to the title, it's also 30 lbs lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
              Dirt bikes are hard to get out of your system, I find the bang for buck value is hard to beat.
              In a car or on a road bike to get that adrenaline rush your breaking the law, with the dirt bike your not.

I still manage a few thousand kilometers a year on my 13 Husqvarna TE449.

I still have in the shed a 90 KTM 540 EXC, sold as a DXC in the US. They are the big two stroke desert racers KTM only sold in AUS and the US.
              They are actually 548cc, in the later models the called them 550's.Very powerful but also manageable as they have a totally different power delivery than a CR500 or KX500, it's a grunt type of delivery.

Took it down the 1/4 many moons ago with a road tyre on the rear... 13.6 at 103 short shifting to keep the front down, it was all really over by the 1/8 really!

Looks to be a good one you got there SBG.
              13.6 on a dirt bike... that's scooting.

I looked at a TE449, I liked the bike but they're such an oddity here that getting a knowledgeable tech is a challenge. The guy I ride with is on a KTM 625, he bought a chest protector when I had my 500 because he wasn't faster. I've always had Hondas (and a KX250), so I go with them mostly out of habit... KTM makes a nice bike.

in any case, next up is a snow track....

Comment

at over 300lbs ive gone 12.84 on my 95 CR500R. ( its not stock)...
                seriously, it woulda been faster but i was fighting wheelies from
                1st-5th. no joke.

and this one is just RETAAAAHDED fast--

d@mmit now i wanna go ride........................

Comment

at over 300lbs ive gone 12.84 on my 95 CR500R. ( its not stock)...
                  seriously, it woulda been faster but i was fighting wheelies from
                  1st-5th. no joke.

and this one is just RETAAAAHDED fast--

d@mmit now i wanna go ride........................
                  My CR500af had a 91 motor and 2004 CRF 250 frame - and it was built.... and it was amazingly quick.... and I'm lighter.... yes, I know fast and this 450 is every bit as quick (it's not stock either, so there is that)....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

My CR500af had a 91 motor and 2004 CRF 250 frame - and it was built.... and it was amazingly quick.... and I'm lighter.... yes, I know fast and this 450 is every bit as quick (it's not stock either, so there is that)....
                    yes, any 60+hp 200lb bike is SCARY FAST. i just dont like winging the motor to
                    12,000+rpm to make that power (and the upkeep that comes with it)....
                    plus theres the 50rpm spread where a CR500 goes from 18hp to 57+hp.... fun fun FUN!
                    and eventually on a 450F the crazy rpm drops a valve or something and kaboom.
                    where do you think all those roller "F" bikes that end up as CR500AFs come from?
                    tommys 2yr old YZ450F poked a valve thru the keeper and dealer wanted $8k to fix it.
                    on the other hand *IF* that happens-- i do gots a spare 85 CR500 motor...
                    you know, just in case you wanna do another AF conversion or something.....

Last edited by fatguyzinc; May 28, 2019, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I looked at a TE449, I liked the bike but they're such an oddity here that getting a knowledgeable tech is a challenge.
                      Yes the Husky isn't a popular bike over there. About ten years ago they shipped a lot of a particular (TXC) models there that never sold, they then shipped them here and sold them at about 60% of a comparable bike here. Happy buyers, not happy other make dealers!

I have close a very good dealer that I've dealt with for 20years, gives a bit of confidence.
                      The 449 has been fine, like any of them you change stuff to what you like and there is the web also.

Tim
                      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
                        Yes the Husky isn't a popular bike over there. About ten years ago they shipped a lot of a particular (TXC) models there that never sold, they then shipped them here and sold them at about 60% of a comparable bike here. Happy buyers, not happy other make dealers!

I have close a very good dealer that I've dealt with for 20years, gives a bit of confidence.
                        The 449 has been fine, like any of them you change stuff to what you like and there is the web also.
                        I think it's a neat bike.... Husky has been around forever and I've actually owned one - it was my very first 2 stroke. I've even had a Bultaco (which was the fastest when it ran).

Comment

yes, any 60+hp 200lb bike is SCARY FAST. i just dont like winging the motor to
                          12,000+rpm to make that power (and the upkeep that comes with it)....
                          plus theres the 50rpm spread where a CR500 goes from 18hp to 57+hp.... fun fun FUN!
                          and eventually on a 450F the crazy rpm drops a valve or something and kaboom.
                          where do you think all those roller "F" bikes that end up as CR500AFs come from?
                          tommys 2yr old YZ450F poked a valve thru the keeper and dealer wanted $8k to fix it.
                          on the other hand *IF* that happens-- i do gots a spare 85 CR500 motor...
                          you know, just in case you wanna do another AF conversion or something.....

you describe a CR250 my brother had and why he bought the CR500..... that CR250 is the only bike that rode out from under me - it was sedate to 5k rpm, but it went light switch to 10k rpm.... "why is that bike in front of me without a rider?" "oh f***" tumble tumble tumble.
                          as for why without a motor, I used a 250 frame and those had issues keeping their 5th gear intact....or they were stolen in a state that doesn't title dirt bikes.... that said, you don't swap to the aluminum frame for lightness - they are maybe 10 lbs lighter - but for the better geometry of the later bike and the aid in vibration reduction... if you want the longer wheelbase, the CRF450 is just a hair shorter then the CR500.... if you want insanity, they make kits to put the 500 in a 125 frame.

Comment

..... CR250 is the only bike that rode out from under me - it was sedate to 5k rpm, but it went light switch to 10k rpm.... "why is that bike in front of me without a rider?" "oh f***" tumble tumble tumble.

thats hilarious.... been there done that but on an older
                            2 stroke 500 husky 3spd auto.....going up a decent hill,
                            bike started bogging so i layed into the throttle and it
                            downshifted to 2nd AND hit the pipe when it did-- instant
                            loop out even with my fat@ss on it.

as for insanity, did you see the kx80 with a kx500 motor
                            on the tube of youness? oh yeah. that guys straight up CRAZY.

Comment

as for insanity, did you see the kx80 with a kx500 motor
                              on the tube of youness? oh yeah. that guys straight up CRAZY.
                              I prefer suicide in a more unexpected manner.... that one is like playing russian roulette with a semi-auto.

Comment

Working...
                              X