Mexico Beach FL Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico Beach FL Recovery

Mexico Beach got taken off of the map last year in the hurricane, a direct hit by storm surge. Like, wiped clean, nothing left there.

The Weather Channel is doing a live feature from down there today and tomorrow to commemorate the official start of hurricane season. They're interviewing local officials discussing the ongoing recovery efforts. More than once, more than one of them noted that by now things are starting to come together slowly, and now they even have a liquor store. They have a liquor store, but no gas station. The question of a gas station was just sort of open-ended...no telling if or when, but we have a liquor store. That's just odd. But at least they have their priorities in order.
    Last edited by pdub; June 1, 2019, 09:20 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

You can sit on your tail and watch the ocean for days/weeks/years, and never once need a gas station.

On a serious note, the permits are probably easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
      You can sit on your tail and watch the ocean for days/weeks/years, and never once need a gas station.

On a serious note, the permits are probably easier.
      I just don't get it, though most of the folks down there are every bit as old and disabled as we are at Weeville. But sitting on the coast on purpose...it's like sitting on a hand grenade, just waiting for it.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I just don't get it, though most of the folks down there are every bit as old and disabled as we are at Weeville. But sitting on the coast on purpose...it's like sitting on a hand grenade, just waiting for it.
        Every place gets "weather". In MI we froze every winter, occasionally got tornadoes, and regularly lost power in the winter thanks to ice storms. This doesn't even count the rusted-out cars. In NC we've had 1 serious hurricane in 15 years. I call that a fair tradeoff for minimal winters. So EVERYPLACE is like sitting on a hand grenade - just depends on what kind of explosion you're willing to live with. No free rides in life.

Dan

Comment

Yesterday the Weather Channel was showing some guy coaxing bunnies out of the flowers. WTH does that have to do with weather? NOTHING. #### the Weather Channel.
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Yeah, I should have just stayed shut up, but I can't. It's a reflex. There's nothing else I can do other than to rouse rabble on the computer.

And I've ordered a new gas cooking rig after Sue Unit has sworn against eating. Brilliant idea. It'll take me a year to put it together. I've taken the measurements and I'll have to build it either in the garage or on the porch, it won't fit through the door going from inside the house to the porch. And it's hot out there already. It seems too soon to be so hot.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
              Yesterday the Weather Channel was showing some guy coaxing bunnies out of the flowers. WTH does that have to do with weather? NOTHING. #### the Weather Channel.
              The weather channel has worked hard to become reality TV..........more drama, less facts. Their often misleading speculation bothers me........
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Florida, it deserves the best
                I finally got to experience half a january there.
                A lot of stuff can really take a beating. I got a good look around.
                My sister beelined to tourist places, I wandered around the state trying to get away from it.

a most clever ghetto I saw was antique mobile homes, all packed together.. a fence around it was as tall as the heights of them.
                Saw it by chance in our travels through the state.
                I can't imagine how many times they stood ground.

poverty genius no doubt. I found that in maine.. a place called martels trailer park. too old to be open, city shut it down. places lasted 60 years near abandoned.. little tiny stick walls, spring steel siding of the 40s 50s etc.

I think of florida and what I would build. It is not difficult today.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                X