Chrysler 426 Hemi vs. Chevrolet 427 Big Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrysler 426 Hemi vs. Chevrolet 427 Big Block

For some reason that I can't recall, I was comparing the two dominant engines from the Muscle car years and thought it was interesting how closely matched they were.

Chrysler 426 Hemi (1964-1971)
    Bore 4.25"
    Stroke 3.75"
    The street version in purely stock form, equipped with a pair of four-barrel Carter AFB carburetors, produced 433.5 hp and 472 lb⋅ft of torque in actual dynamometer testing.

Chevrolet 427 (1966-1970)
    Bore 4.25"
    Stroke 3.76"
    The street L71 "Tri-Power" version fitted with 3x2-barrel Holley carburetors, was rated at 435 bhp at 5800 rpm and 460 lb⋅ft at 4000 rpm.

Comments anyone ?

Public Service Announcement
    Ford 429 Cobra Jet
    Bore 4.362"
    Stroke 3.59"
    The Super Cobra Jet, rated at 375 bhp at 5200 rpm and 450 lb⋅ft at 3400 rpm of torque, had a single Holley 735 cu ft/min 4-barrel carburetor, but actually produced power in the 440– to 460 hp range.

they're both fun...although my 426 is actually a 484, and my 427 is a 435.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

fuel economy
      weight

they weren't called elephants for nothing.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 5, 2019, 01:42 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It was very disappointing in the early 70s when the Chevy guys in Funny Car and Top Fuel blew surrender. The rats were very competitive until the aftermarket blocks came into play. It would be interesting to see a Brodix or other billet BBC on fuel.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

How about LS vs. Gen III vs. Coyote in top factory tune? Oh yeah, need to include that weird V6 thing Ford puts in the GT.

Last edited by RockJustRock; June 5, 2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
            It was very disappointing in the early 70s when the Chevy guys in Funny Car and Top Fuel blew surrender. The rats were very competitive until the aftermarket blocks came into play. It would be interesting to see a Brodix or other billet BBC on fuel.
            You would think will all the parts available, someone would have done it by now. I wonder why it hasn’t happened....
            who, exactly was competitive, with rat motor in top fuel?
            58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

The main guy was Jim Bucher.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bucher.jpg
Views:	4539
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1245168

Comment

Look under the bottom of a Rat-motor head with the valves pushed open a bit then do the same with a Hemi, and know why the Rat's were always a couple tenths behind. Remember that with a nitro engine it's not just a light 14.7 air/fuel mix slipping by those valves, it's a much heavier mix having to make the corners and angles. Fancy blocks were developed for the motor that had better breathing potential in the heads for handling it, that's all.

That doesn't make the Chryslers always better, just more suited for that particular job. Also I never figured out why after all that design work (wedge block converted into Hemi) Chrysler went and used 1.5 rocker arms when Chevy had the 1.7s.

Comment

As you implied, the valves are not shrouded at all on a Hemi, so there's no need to open them as far as a Chevy, eh?
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Still, lift is lift? Might have been to relieve some of the stress on the cam from the heavier valve train.

Comment

well, yeah....that valvetrain is a mess!
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

I was drag racing in the 60's and was told by somebody that the stock blueprinted Hemi 426 made 600hp and the stock Ford/Chevy 427's made 550hp. I think the all aluminum ZL1 Chevy 427" made as much or more hp as the hemi but they were very rare. The only advantage the Ford and Chevy drivers had was that their 427's were quite a bit lighter than the hemi. I saw Dyno Don Nicholson's Mercury Comet race one of the top hemi drivers at San Antonio Dragway in 1964 or 1965. It was a 2 out 3 match race and Dyno Don won the first race. The hemi won the 2nd race and Dyno Don blew his engine on the 3rd race.

Comment

Many people claimed the Ford Cammer was the ultimate iron block fuel engine. This car went a long way proving that point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cammer.jpg
Views:	4708
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1245187

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post

You would think will all the parts available, someone would have done it by now. I wonder why it hasn’t happened....
                            who, exactly was competitive, with rat motor in top fuel?
                            let's have "find the Mopar part for $1000"

anyone?

okay, in the interest of gender fairness, "find the Chevrolet part for $1,000"

as I expected

*crickets*

yeah, how about this - the only "difference" between the two motors as raced from those days is they cost a lot of money to have built.... but nothing on either of those motors came from the minds of a car manufacturer.....heck, not even hemi heads.

the general point that is not pointed at Spiff

The idea that anyone would proclaim brand loyalty based upon results of those motors proves dampness behind ears and is a sure sign of Newb
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 6, 2019, 12:22 PM.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

back when the engines were introduced, they were factory pieces. But the versions used in fuelers have no original type parts on them.

Mine are both full of Chevy and Mopar parts, although my 427 is a lot more Chevy than the 426 is Mopar.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X