Prototype Camoflage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype Camoflage

I've never quite understood it. We saw a car dressed like like that in the mountains one time. If anything it MAKES everybody look at it and photograph it. It doesn't hide a thing, it only attracts even more attention. I'm sure there is some larger scientific reason I'm unaware of.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Camo.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	659.8 KB
ID:	1245260
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Shitz! Makes me motion sick and stagger into it!

Comment

Manufacturers often camo their new vehicles to keep the competition from seeing the details. Maybe that is one of those.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
        Manufacturers often camo their new vehicles to keep the competition from seeing the details. Maybe that is one of those.
        I believe that's where Ford is threatening to re-introduce the Bronco in a modern form, I think. The one we saw decked out like that, I can't remember for the life of me what that was, but it was parked at the tourist trap at one end of Tail of the Dragon. I went wandering over there with my camera because I'd never seen anything so bizarre. The driver showed up real quick. Like we're not supposed to photograph it, but he said that was okay, it's become public knowledge a few days ago.

Whatever it was. I can't tell one car from another these years.

Comment

it kinda looks like my mismatched pinstriping
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01369w.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	1245297
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The idea is to make it hide details of the body lines to obscure a lot of detail, even if people can get the overall shape.

Comment

I work at Ford, I've driven more of those franken-vehicles than I care to count. The cammo is just as Matt stated - cover styling details, badges, etc., they usually cover the dash and steering wheel center too in order to conceal the brand/model.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Sooner or later they have to put tons of miles on them in different conditions. Whether it was the Lincoln MKS that was roaming around my first apartment in Prescott as part of desert testing or the two Buick Rendezvous that were doing extreme brake testing on the Pikes Peak Highway back when I worked on the mountain, they have to go out in public well before their reveal date.
                Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by BangShift McT View Post
                  Sooner or later they have to put tons of miles on them in different conditions. Whether it was the Lincoln MKS that was roaming around my first apartment in Prescott as part of desert testing or the two Buick Rendezvous that were doing extreme brake testing on the Pikes Peak Highway back when I worked on the mountain, they have to go out in public well before their reveal date.
                  because people would get excited by a Buick Rendezvous? I think pdub is right, they use it to promote the 'mystery' of the product because without the wrap - no one would notice.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It's hype. And the C8 proves it. If the C8 wasn't camouflaged would Ford make changes to a 2020 GT to be similar? The camo on the C8 cleverly includes a sign saying it is the 2020 Corvette. People can't see it will be shorter, taller and dumpier looking than their dreams because of the camo. It will still be a very nice car but not as costly as an exotic and of course not as exotic. And the next Tesla Roadster, if it ever gets here, will eat it's lunch when it does. In the old days the manufacturers used to rush out major revisions as quickly as possible. It was called competition by progress. That spirit is dead now. I blame the C3 and the Gen II F body. If a vehicle isn't completely tanking in the marketplace it gets left alone in the name of profitability. The Japanese and the Europeans saw that happening and took advantage, but now they are willing to play the waiting game too. Why rush? Why camo? It's not like we are competing with Russia to get to the Moon or Mars..... But it WAS and it was GREAT.

The Auto Industry used to try to build the best car possible and were profitable because of it. Now they try to build the most profitable car possible and the cars for the most part are not the best. I like Chrysler. The Challenger and Charger have ONE compromise. To do as much as possible with the platform that won the market when it came out, the 300. Back when that happened if anyone predicted that 300 luxo sedan would become the Hellcat and Demon they would have got laughed at. Even after the amazing Challenger came out Chrysler engineers showed up at enthusiast events with a supercharged Challenger. No camo. No fanfare. The said it would make well over 500 HP and see production as codename Hellcat. Most of the media scoffed, but did their job generating publicity, so much that the name Hellcat stuck. Maybe Chevy should do a production camo C8?
                    Last edited by RockJustRock; June 13, 2019, 01:55 AM.
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Chrysler did the "public camo" thing with a widebody Charger. I think they felt foolish and the production car still hasn't been announced.

Comment

If I got a wrap like that and drove Red around town in that garb, would anyone think he was "new?"

Comment

You'd have to take off the bumper covers and do a few other mods. Let's try it and see!

Comment

Manufacturers have been trying to prevent industrial espionage for decades.
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Now I'm wondering if putting one of those prototype camo wraps on my daily drive would help hide all the body damage. How easy is it to apply, anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X