Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW G30 going 150 mph on the Autobahn

We went close to 150 mph but couldn't keep up

Doesn't look like 150 to me by the passing speeds.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbowers View Post
      We went close to 150 mph but couldn't keep up.
      We ?

Comment

what in the 7 main bearings kinda post is this
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
          Ahhhhh .... the Audoban .... Germany .... Europe ....
          You made me click the video again. It says MPH. So just cruising past semis at 100 means they do 80.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
            JMIII
            So now he's from San Francisco. He sure does move around a lot.
            Last edited by pdub; June 15, 2019, 02:58 AM.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I think it's authentic. When stationed in Germany in the mid 70s, I owned a BMW 3.0S. 3-litre 6-cylinder aluminum engine, with a 4-speed. The faster that car went, the smoother and quieter it got. Loved it.
              Last edited by oletrux4evr; June 15, 2019, 03:46 PM.
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I Served in Germany in ‘83-84 in Offenbach. I owned a ‘76 Ford Capri GT II with a v6 4 spd that would hold easy at 210kph. That car was a blast to drive and race. Raced an Alfa Romeo in Frankfurt near the 5th Corp. PX once. I can still hear the sound of our cars echoing off the tall buildings as we went from stoplight to stoplight.
                '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
                '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
                79 Trans Am project
                ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

I think 120-130 MPH would look more frantic than those videos. If nothing else does it really look like they are dumping over 50 MPH when traffic gets in the way?

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    I think 120-130 MPH would look more frantic than those videos. If nothing else does it really look like they are dumping over 50 MPH when traffic gets in the way?
                    I've seen 150 mph through Red's windshield but that was on the airport runway and that thing is so huge with such huge long stripes, it's hard to judge speed. The best way to judge speed from a video standpoint is, how fast is the big stuff in the background/distance moving? And are the clouds passing overhead, like flying on an airplane?

It didn't look to me like that was 150 mph in that video. But I didn't go 150 on the highway, either.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

James, thank you very much for posting our video here. Appreciate it!

To answer the debate. The driver explains near the end of the video that the speedometer showed 250 kilometers per hour (kph) during this drive, but since speedometers tend to show a few percentages to much, we are going by GPS speed, which we have set to miles per hour (mph). So yes, this is what 150 mph looks like--at least in a YouTube video. If you are interested in seeing more, go check out the Autobahn Channel on YouTube.

It is not just the speeds we can legally do on the Autobahn that our channel is about--there are other videos on YouTube where people go 200 mph in super cars. That's not what the channel is about. The point of the Autobahn Channel is spotting and filming performance cars that more than 1% of the population can afford and reviewing those cars while you can watch them going 100-150 mph. Enjoy!

The Autobahn Channel

Comment

You said to look at other videos so I did. Part of the problem is your filming method. The telemetry for the gps obscures the surroundings of the car. It appears you are filming with the zoom lens set to it's narrowest angle, longest range. In this video when the camera zooms in and out the perception of speed changes dramatically. But even in light of that the speed function of a gps is highly unreliable. It was not designed to record dramatic high speeds.

I'm not saying your videos are fraudulent, just boring.
                        Last edited by RockJustRock; June 26, 2019, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbowers View Post
                          We went close to 150 mph but couldn't keep up
                          Golly! I need nearly half a mile from a standing start to go that fast!

Comment

Here is our latest video, filmed on the same road section as the one above, this time chasing a Mercedes CLS at up to 147 mph. If you want to "feel" the speed, look at the road markings above the hood or the railing on the left race by, or look at trucks we are passing in the rightmost lane, The cars we are passing in the middle lane tend to already go 100+ mph themselves, as this a section of the Autobahn where people generally go fast.

Comment

Sorry, I have to own up to a mistake in the BMW/149mph video above: I mistook for a 5 series what was really a 4 series gran coupe (specifically a 430i). A viewer pointed that out on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                              X