King of the Drag Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King of the Drag Strip

Took Mutt to Coastal Plains Dragway last night for test and tune. We ran a best of 11.03xxx. Is that slow? I know for sure that I had the fastest LSR Diesel pickup at the track.

I also got the data that showed a pressure ratio of 1:1 (intake manifold (boost) vs exhaust manifold pressure). Tim Scott at Tim's Turbos is working out the next steps to take for more boost - I'll keep y'all informed.

Dan

It's a LSR truck we don't care about the time. What was the MPH.

Was that in the 1/8 or 1/4? If it was the 1/4 it's faster than I expected. If it was the 1/8 I would say what is your 60' I bet we can get it in the 10's
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Hi Dan

It's fast for a 1/4 mile, slow for an 1/8th mile relatively. My best in the Challenger is 7.2s in the 1/8th mile, 11.1 in the 1/4.

I think your track is 1/8 mile, so for a 1/4 mile that would put you in the low-mid 17 seconds region. I ran the Challenger in Valet mode once (about 170hp I estimate) and got 11.77 in the 1/8 mile and 17.98 in the 1/4 mile.

A 90's 3.8 (145hp) V6 Mustang auto will run about 11.0s in the 1/8th mile and 17s in the 1/4 mile, so that's about where you are.

Do you need turbo mods for more power, or an upgrade?

Comment

what is the MPH number that goes with that 11.03?

it's good etiquette to post a picture of the time slip, so we don't have to keep asking you dumb questions
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Here's an attempt at a pic of the timeslips. Their printer needs work.

Click image for larger version  Name:	timeslips.jpg Views:	1 Size:	352.0 KB ID:	1245808 Hope y'all can read that. Bottom line - this is NOT a drag car. 2.73 gears don't help. Also, I didn't bother to air down the drag radials, set at 60PSI. The second run I tried to launch more aggressively and just burned up the tires. I didn't even bring ice for the intercooler. As stated, I was really just after the pressure ratio readings so the numbers are just for fun. I made zero effort to cut a good light - more or less LSR starts.

BTW - Tim says the pressure ratio numbers I got show a perfect match of the hot side (turbine) to the cold side (compressor) of the turbo. In a perfect world the exhaust manifold pressure SHOULD match the intake manifold pressure. He's braggin' a tad as he built the system but as far as I can gather he's also right.

Andy - Tim's working on what to do next. If we can tweak the system that's in place we'll do that or if I need something new we'll do that. There are alternate wastegate actuators available and that may be a possibility. The new actuator would hold the wastegate closed longer and therefore build more boost but that comes at the expense of declining pressure ratio values which carry their own bad JuJu (though I can't remember exactly what badness that entails - I'll search my memory banks - maybe increased temps?).

EDIT: Went to the Wallace Racing calculator and came up with this conversion to 1/4 mile results, probably reasonable - 17.42 @ 85.29 MPH.

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; June 15, 2019, 12:35 PM.

Comment

3 second 60 ft time...hmmm....

Keep working on it, you'll catch up with me eventuallly! (I'm in the right lane on this one)

My fabulous web page

Comment

Not likely - not my sport!

Dan

Comment

How much does Mutt weigh?

My fabulous web page

Comment

3040 (lbs not kilos) with a full tank of fuel (2 1/2 gallons) and me in him.

Dan

Comment

You have not run this set on the mile correct? Either way. It must like the big end. 136-68=68.

My 89 mustang would run 80 on the 1/8 and 140 in the mile. I am only picking up 60 mph! Aren't turbos grand.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

I now have a valid excuse, being all hurt up, to have canceled my grudge race with Perry earlier this year. His newish Camaro would have eaten my lunch on the track and I would have had to wonder again why I bothered to put so many performance parts on that car. It's sort of the analogy, I love beating my head against the wall because it feels so good to stop.
                      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

the key is he was the fastest in his class... he could have a 2 minute 1/8th mile and it doesn't matter - first is first.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

you're making somewhere around 150-175 hp at the crankshaft, eh?

How much boost is it getting?
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

I believe he mentioned in another thread that his boost is around 25 psi.

Comment

25 it is.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X