Your thoughts about the gas mileage laws......post em here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts about the gas mileage laws......post em here

I see alot of bitching about these laws. Why? Its about time they force american car companies to get their gas mileage shit together. This is one of the reasons the General is about to be #2 and Ford is already #3. They get crap mileage. I for one think with todays technology a strong V-8 could probably see 35-40 MPG with the right stuff. I read up that the new Camaro is supposed to be a 400hp car and get 32MPG on the interstate with the 4 cyl shutoff tech. Maybe people will have to learn to drive a stickshift car again? Maybe your SUV will have to weigh 5000 lbs instead of 6000 lbs. I dont know. I dont see this as a bad thing. I for one am tired of gas prices and if everyoner gets better mileage, demand goes down, supply goes up and prices at least stay level if not go down....discuss......

Re: Your thoughts about the gas mileage laws......post em here

It sounds like you think we can get a handle on this and we can't .Your not in control .If you lessen your thirst for petrol they will just slow down the supply and raise the price. The sooner we run the aribs out of oil the better then we can go to the next big thing. Bio-diesels with twin turbos !

Comment

see my sig :

Comment

It's beginning to look more & more like 1973,

in more than one way, f'shizzle! --

Comment

I try not to be a pessimist, but Murphy's law sez that something has to stop the incredible leaps the OE's have made in the last decade. I hope this is not it. Any chance on them making laws retroactive?
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I'm always for less government in our lives, Let us decide for our own.
            HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

The 07 Suburbans we have at work have the 5.3 engine with fuel saver 8-4 option. Compared to our 06's without the fuel saver option; they don't get 2 mpg better mileage. That could be that the 07's are one helluva lot bigger and heavier than the old models. These cars could be getting better mileage right now if they stop building them so damned heavy. A new Mustang weighs more than 2 tons, that's more than my 65 Impala weighs and it's made of plastic and aluminum.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I have a friend with a 68 Camaro thats got a 327 with a rock crusher and Gear vendors overdrive and 4.11 gears. That car gets 22 MPG with that overdrive and he built the motor in 1976 and the holley thats on it got rebuilt the first time last year. Obviously this is all stuff just about anybody on here can do with the simplest tools and equipment. The big 3 should with all those resources do a hell of a lot better. But like was mentioned the oil co. know it too and arent going to let it happen that easy.

Comment

After installing the EMS Pro/Megasquirt on Rusty, which picked up around 40hp and 60lbft, it still gets the exact same mileage. And we didn't do a mileage tune on it all yet. I'm going to work on an 87 octane tune in the next couple months and go for max mileage, which should pick it up a couple, but considering it's a giant brick I'm damn happy with a horsepower gain that resulted in a full second on it's ET and still the same mileage. It can be done. Stick cars or lockup converters are key as well, and if someone could just give us a lockup converter that would live under big power we'd all be better off. I agree with the fact that OPEC owns us though, and in order to change that we need to start using alternative fuels more regularly. The problem with all the flex fuel cars and trucks is that nobody uses the E85 even when it's available. Educating the public is key.
                  "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

In less than 20 years we have gained the technology to take an entire shelf unit from the library and store it on a microchip 1/4 the size of a postage stamp but gas mileage in our cars has not changed in over 40 years. Our current cars get nearly the same mileage as a 72 Olds 98, and they are double the weight and have double the engine. So who do you think is in control?...

Comment

Oil prices are also due to inflation from this war. The dollar is going to get weaker, too. Gold will reach $1000 per ounce. If there was a profit to be gained from high millage, car companies would have invested into it. All regulation does is to strengthen the auto cartels. I guarantee the automakers pushed for the regulations to prevent barriers to competition and hurt consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Nova
                        I see alot of bitching about these laws. Why? Its about time they force american car companies to get their gas mileage shit together. This is one of the reasons the General is about to be #2 and Ford is already #3. They get crap mileage.
                        American car companies are most likely holding back because they're expecting an increase in the mandated milage. It wouldn't be wise to use all of their fuel milage tech, only to have the government tighten the belt even more. Of course, it's bad for us because they have the ablilty to meet the standards, but won't because they're waiting for the government to make a move.
                        Even if the government does tighten the belt. Should the companies go all out? Or just meet the bare minimum in case the government does it again? Strategically, they would meet the minimum. And that doesn't really help their standing against other car companies.

I for one think with todays technology a strong V-8 could probably see 35-40 MPG with the right stuff. I read up that the new Camaro is supposed to be a 400hp car and get 32MPG on the interstate with the 4 cyl shutoff tech. Maybe people will have to learn to drive a stickshift car again? Maybe your SUV will have to weigh 5000 lbs instead of 6000 lbs. I dont know. I dont see this as a bad thing. I for one am tired of gas prices and if everyoner gets better mileage, demand goes down, supply goes up and prices at least stay level if not go down....discuss......
                        People won't learn to drive a stick shift unless they want to. They're not forced to when they can just get a CVT Toyota or something.
                        SUV's will probably weigh even more so they can get around the new milage standards.
                        Imagine driving a government mandated econo-box around 10,000lb SUV's instead of driving current new cars around 6000lb ones.

Comment

i had a 1974 torino with a 351w 2 barrel engine a few years back.. it had 270 rear end gears, i installed a tachometer, it wouldnt get over 3500 revs on the way to work (interstate) even with me doing 85mph. it weighed 4510 lbs after i took the carpet, spare, jack, and cast iron exhaust manifolds that weighed ALOT out of it. in fact i still own its front bumper, it weighs at least 150lbs.. it accelerated in a fair manner, not quick.. it got 19mpg. i kept logs of its fuel use for several months. with 1974 tech under the hood, i was getting 19mpg in two and a quarter tons with no overdrive.. i never tuned it! i beat it mercilessly. it had a frame that seemed designed for demolition derbys, everything made out of fricken iron..surely, with aluminum engines, fuel injection, overdrive transmissions, improved tire technology, unibody cars.. the manufacturers can do better that number..

Comment

DieselGeek can tell you, I'm trying to go for 30+mpg out of my 455'd Skylark. I have a TKO-600 with the .64 overdrive and currently 3.23 gears but that may change. My plans are to MegaSquirt multiport fuel inject the 455 and have it control the timing too. The final icing on the cake is I'm looking at with the stage injection shutting off two pairs of cylinders while at cruising engine load. It won't be as effecient as cylinder deactivation with keeping the valves shut but I'll experiment with it to see how it goes. I'm 250 miles from anywhere, once I get the MPG tune down I'll go for the power tune.

I'll be interested in hearing about Trusty Rusty's different performance tunes.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I have a 06 Merc Garns Marquis with the 4.6...I get 18 around town and IF i run 65MPH on the highway I can get 28.8 MPG IF I run 75 I get 24 MPG....With a car as "big" as the Merc and with a strong V8 you would think the MPG would suck...the potential is there for domestic cars to get goo MPG....The Fury gets about 10...on a good day with a tail wind

I say "big" cuz its 3 ft shorter than the Fury and about 1ft narrower....

Comment

Working...
                              X