How Do You Use Nitrous ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Use Nitrous ?

I know how it works, but how do you use it? I've been all over the interwebs and seen how to rig it up, etc. Probably more than I'm capable of assembling with a blower going already.

What I haven't been able to find out is, how do you drive the car on the highway on 93 octane for two days to get to the race track and THEN give it a shot of nitrous to do the speed run? Do you not have to re-tune it to run nitrous or do you not? Nobody talks about that, how you do that. That's the only way Red will ever go faster on the track, and right now we can't even leave the house. Only pretending to be looking forward. I need something to look forward to.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

N2O is a temporary power adder ... when you flip the switch (or push the button), the liquid is delivered to the engine and only lasts as long as there is pressure in the storage tank.

Watch the 2001 movie "The Fast and the Furious" to see the use of NOS.

Comment

I have never used N2O my understanding is a little (wet) shot does not need a tune. As you add power you need to retune, of the time they pull timing. You can ride around on the n2o turn it will just make less power off the button. Some people have tuners than can change on the fly between na and n20.

I would call vortech and ask about more boost before I added n2o. More boost will need a new tune, etc.
      Last edited by Russell; June 18, 2019, 05:48 AM.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Here's an instructional video

and my opinion - this is better then roadkill running over a Prius with a tank.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

in the old days of carburetors, you would install the nitrous system with the bottle, lines, solenoid, and discharge nozzle(s). Along with the nitrous, there is also a line and solenoid and nozzle(s) for fuel. If it's a big shot of nitrous, you also install another fuel pump to supply the added fuel. With EFI, you can either use the dedicated separate fuel system to provide the extra fuel, or program the computer to deliver a richer mixture when the nitrous is "on". Usually a smaller nitrous shot can use the "dry" system (no extra fuel plumbing), but a bigger shot will need the "wet" system (with the extra fuel plumbing).

The nitrous does not make any more power, but the oxygen it carries will let you use a lot more fuel, which is where the added power comes from. So...if your fuel system can handle up to XXX HP number, and you add YYY hp of nitrous, you also need to add YYY more HP fuel capability.

Not many folks mess with nitrous on blown engines, but it can be done, and with the computers running things these days, it can work very well....but requires very careful system design and execution.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm cynical about tunes, dynos and dyno tunes. I see them as something you do to get the last ounces of performance out of changes. Unless a closed loop EFI runs completely out of capacity there is very little one can do that will blow stuff up. You're not out to do that like a you tube stunt. The Chrysler ECMs are notoriously un-tunable, yet now we are seeing more and more Gen 3 and Hellcat swaps. With that kind of power on tap people aren't so concerned about that last tenth or two of a second or MPH.
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

The only thing that is used form nitrous is the oxygen. You can get more of this easier switching pulleys on your blower . The one other thing about nitrous is it acts as an intercooler because it comes out of the tank cold .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                I'm cynical about tunes, dynos and dyno tunes. I see them as something you do to get the last ounces of performance out of changes. Unless a closed loop EFI runs completely out of capacity there is very little one can do that will blow stuff up. You're not out to do that like a you tube stunt. The Chrysler ECMs are notoriously un-tunable, yet now we are seeing more and more Gen 3 and Hellcat swaps. With that kind of power on tap people aren't so concerned about that last tenth or two of a second or MPH.
                Youtube stunt or not, I'm making a point that needs to be heard.

I think the problem that windowed the block is how Toyota makes their traction control work - it pulls fuel. now you have a 50 shot of nitrous on a dead lean motor and the result is (happily) predictable.

"Just" adding nitrous to a late-model, efi car is a dangerous path - I don't know what Mopar does for traction control or any of their other controls, nor do I know what Ford does. GM pulls timing, so a dry system doesn't run the highest risk of catastrophic failure....

With that said, it's a chemical intercooler, so adding nitrous can help in 2 ways since it adds -200 degrees F to the intake track. You still, though, need to add fuel - personally I wouldn't trust the OEM computer to adjust, it may but it may be too late and cause substantial damage.

On the list, though, of charge-coolers, and power adders, there's another that I think you'd really appreciate Mr. P of dub..... methanol. It adds fuel and cooling thus MUCH less risk of catastrophic failure. Cheaper too, Nitrous is great for the last 10th, but methanol is 2 or 3 tenths...

As you might imagine, I've spent more then a little time on this issue. I've mentioned it there, but here too, my 64 wagon is getting both methanol and nitrous to go with the turbo... methanol for daily, nitrous for anger.... in a nice, clean, grandpa package

Comment

Red's already got an active intercooler, that was part of the complication of assembling that whole elaborate system. That build will for sure be my life's finest mechanical bolt-on project. And I'm hearing change the pulley. Again. Might as well. There's no warranty anymore anyhow. But that's for sure another tune and another ride on Dyno Man's great big underground drum.

He for sure knows what he's doing. And he's definitely good at and he's proud of it and he charges for it accordingly. Which doesn't bother me at all, if you can only get his attention for a few minutes.

Tune it. Yep, then blow the car up 10 cow road hours from home. That's daunting.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Hmm.... not convinced, eh? you know that methanol is alcohol, right? Red needs a drinking problem

Comment

The only thing that is used form nitrous is the oxygen...… …...The one other thing about nitrous is it acts as an intercooler because it comes out of the tank cold .
                      The nitrogen keeps detonation to a minimum..... Which is one of the reasons the Germans used it on their fighters in WWII.

Now then, Dan - can you tell the class why the gas comes out of the tank cold?
                      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

And P, if you want to know the ins and outs of NOS - go to the source.... https://www.holley.com/brands/nos/
                        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I need to show my ignorance. What is methanol? My SIL's young cousin who got filthy rich drilling oil wells has a big shop full of race cars and he buys ethanol and racing gas by the barrel. I think the ethanol has a little gasoline in it and I think he told me that the ethanol costs less than $2.00 a gallon. His V10 Lambo built by Underground Racing will run on pump gas, racing gas or ethanol. It is scary fast on pump gas I can't imagine how it could be any faster with racing gas or ethanol but know it is. I won't ride in it though.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                            Now then, Dan - can you tell the class why the gas comes out of the tank cold?
                            I'm not Dan, but PV=nRT

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

I'm not Dan, but PV=nRT

all of that exchange has me googling because I thought it was the english and spitfires who were first to huff gas.

while the Germans love to claim that they were first, everything I've found says that the English were using it in Mosquitos and Spitfires in 1940 and that the GM-1 system the Germans used was first fitted in 1940 as well.... that ain't first
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 18, 2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X