How Do You Use Nitrous ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'research'
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/heres-what-it-was-discover-laughing-gas-180950289/

how to make your own

If you've ever had teeth removed/minor surgery, you most likely received some laughing gas, or nitrous oxide. This gas creates a happy, lightened feeling, and causes instant laughter. In this article, I'll show you how to make some. BUT BE CAREFUL!!! DO NOT proceed in this experiment unless you have EXTENSIVE knowledge of chemistry!!! Misuse of this procedure could result in the production of LETHAL GASSES! However, the set-up is quite simple, if done correctly should not lead to any issues. ...
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      And P, if you want to know the ins and outs of NOS - go to the source.... https://www.holley.com/brands/nos/
      Okay, that's a cool video. From that I think I'd choose dry over wet. I think.

Red's EFI. The blower kit came with an additional fuel pump, so now he's got two - the stock one and then another one, piped in parallel. There was that, and visibly larger fuel injectors to go onto the rails. Thinking about it, I still can't quite believe our neighborhood team got all of that put together and it actually ran. But it did.

So, be it NOS or changing the blower pulley, what are the limitations of the fuel flow system? I literally have no idea. Either way I would logically assume that without some tuning and fuel flow capacity you'll go lean at the top end, when you need fuel the most.
      Last edited by pdub; June 18, 2019, 02:35 PM.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

one way to find out is to see what the duty cycle of the injectors is at high rpm, wide open throttle...which might require a datalogger to figure out.

If the injectors are staying open almost all the time, then it will lean out if you add nitrous but no more fuel.

If the injectors are not maxed out, then you can get some more fuel out if it, before having to upgrade injectors (and you need to look at fuel pressure too, to see if it's dropping when the injectors are open almost all the time)
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I would look at how much horsepower gain you want and compare prices to get it, if 100/150 is all you want and a pulley change will do it, personally I lean towards that.
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

problem with a pulley change is the heat.... if all you want is 100/150 then methanol is your friend.... and a smaller pulley
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              I thought it was the english and spitfires who were first to huff gas. While the Germans love to claim that they were first, everything I've found says that the English were using it in Mosquitos and Spitfires in 1940 and that the GM-1 system the Germans used was first fitted in 1940 as well.... that ain't first
              I was under the understanding that British aircraft were gaining power by increasing the supercharger boost pressure. The American planes used WEP, which was a methanol-water injection system.

Comment

I need to show my ignorance. What is methanol?
                Here you go.... http://www.differencebetween.net/sci...-and-methanol/

Not mentioned is the fact that you can drink ethanol, but methanol will kill you.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  problem with a pulley change is the heat.... if all you want is 100/150 then methanol is your friend.... and a smaller pulley
                  Red's blower is centrifugal. It's hanging on the front of the engine, not on the top like a roots blower. So the heat issue is just another thing I don't understand. He is so dialed in, I should just not tamper with him ever again and be satisfied the way he is and what he's done. But y'all know......the same old story.....what about more?
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

i use it to pinpoint cheap parts and shoddy assembly work.....

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Tune it. Yep, then blow the car up 10 cow road hours from home. That's daunting.
                      That's what U-haul is for! Someone did exactly that in April in Blytheville, rented a truck and trailer for the drive home.

Comment

One time at Maxton, while we were packing up the course after the meet, Tonya asked me if I could give a guy a ride back to Florida. It seems that he had driven his 1966 Mustang Fastback to NC from St. Petersburg and pushed it too hard on the track and blew it up in spectacular fashion. Dropped him off in Daytona Beach, were he was meeting his son who drove over from the Gulf Coast to collect him. His dog Valentine was totally cool, hopped into the back seat and went to sleep for 7-hours.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

I'm not Dan, but PV=nRT
                          Awe ....... just when I had gotten all caught up read the question and was going to google it !
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Jim is, of course, correct. A simpler way to look at it might be to envision that whenever you expand a gas across an orifice (basically, a tiny hole) it expands like crazy and looses heat in the process. That's how your 'fridge and AC work. I THINK that's true for all gasses but some do that more than others and N2O is really good at it as is Freon and others including propane. It's been a while since I messed with this but IIRC the gas is actually changing state from gas to liquid - or is that the other way around?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                              I know how it works, but how do you use it? I've been all over the interwebs and seen how to rig it up, etc.
                              I only exhale!

Comment

Nitrous for land speed is interesting. Most cars are traction limited so it would only be used in upper gears.
                                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                                X