No announcement yet.

How Do You Use Nitrous ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Segorski (9006 Black ZL1 Camaro) did a blower pulley change and nitrous for the April event, and went from a 199 to a 208mph before a mechanical incident ended his weekend.
    Last edited by Red_Kitty; June 18, 2019, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post
      Mike Segorski (9006 Black ZL1 Camaro) did a blower pulley change and nitrous for the April event, and went from a 199 to a 208mph before a mechanical incident ended his weekend.
      drove over his crank?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

drove over his crank?

think that mighta been nitromethanol not n20, but....yeah. same / same...

Click image for larger version

Name:	whoops.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1246133

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
          Nitrous for land speed is interesting. Most cars are traction limited so it would only be used in upper gears.
          Even as Red stands now, he's no threat for huge top end but.......Steve Strupp would stand nearly in front of the car and point down the track. The signal for GO. Entirely too casual. Steve, PLEASE get out of the way, get out of the way MORE.

With Red's rear gear replacement .373, first gear lasts about a half second to the redline it seems. Second gear, still spinning the tires and fishtailing. Pedal it and steer it to keep it straight. Third gear, spin the tires a little bit at around 60-80 mph. That's a bit unnerving, it would be on the highway anyhow. But then the back wheels plant and you run through the gears. That's how you get to 152 mph.

The guys who run 200+, I can't imagine what kind of a ride that would be. Tonight I'm not even sure I would even want to do it. What's the difference between courage and foolishness?
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

What everyone seems to be saying is nitrous COULD work for Red IF you use it sparingly. Now to prove you are ready, go to a rowdy good time bar, order half a glass of beer, drink orange juice the rest of the night, and drive home. Or you could try that "Just put the tip in" that we all tried as teenagers.
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

drove over his crank?
              No, oil leak and thermal event ......

Comment

cylindrical heat control failure?
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The best way to muse nitrous is to plumb it into a nasal mask mixed with oxygen. It makes dental work painless!

Comment

Thinking about that ZL-1. Pulley, nitrous must have added a BUNCH of power. Only 9 MPH? In physics things move on logarithmic and exponential curves far more often than linear progressions. Picture the X axis as speed and the Y axis as power or money required.... I think we can call 0,0 100 MPH?

Click image for larger version  Name:	exponential_graph.gif Views:	1 Size:	7.4 KB ID:	1246294
                    Last edited by RockJustRock; June 19, 2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Thinking about that ZL-1. Pulley, nitrous must have added a BUNCH of power. Only 9 MPH? In physics things move on logarithmic and exponential curves far more often than linear progressions. Picture the X axis as speed and the Y axis as power or money required.... I think we can call 0,0 100 MPH?

Click image for larger version Name:	exponential_graph.gif Views:	1 Size:	7.4 KB ID:	1246294
                      There's a great article on this in this month's Hot Rod. Bottom line - the air resistance goes up at roughly the square of wheel speed while the HP to overcome that resistance increases at roughly the cube of wheel speed.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        There's a great article on this in this month's Hot Rod. Bottom line - the air resistance goes up at roughly the square of wheel speed while the HP to overcome that resistance increases at roughly the cube of wheel speed.
                        That's a great description of it. I've still got an ongoing subscription to HRM but I only look at the photos because the font is too small for me to read.

But that's it alright, what happens at land speed. And I've seen it and experienced it - which way is the wind blowing? One of my favorite Keith Turk quotes came when he was asked, "What does it take to go 200 mph?" He said, "More horsepower than you can imagine and probably more money than you have."
                        Last edited by pdub; June 20, 2019, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          i think i read a gale banks quote from when they were doing that turbo diesel dakota that its also exponentialy not linearly increased as speed goes up-- if it takes, say 200hp to go 100mph, to double your speed to 200mph could take 800+hp--or more than 4x the power to double the speed-- basically because of wind resistance.

thats crazy! no wonder stuff re-entering the atmosphere starts burning, the wind resistance/friction at crazy speeds of 700+mph must be staggering.

Comment

So cars are like Ice Cream or pizza. You can do a lot to improve vanilla or plain cheese, not so much for a banana split or super supreme.

Comment

So cars are like Ice Cream or pizza. You can do a lot to improve vanilla or plain cheese, not so much for a banana split or super supreme.
                              That's good analogy. I'll add that you could make a full-sized refrigerator go 200 mph if you strapped it on top of a space shuttle solid rocket booster and stood back far enough out of the way and lit it.

Comment

The best way to muse nitrous is to plumb it into a nasal mask mixed with oxygen. It makes dental work painless!
                                I'll say "nearly" painless. That IS good stuff. Grey haze.....OW.....that hurt....I think....(long delay)......I think that hurt but I don't remember it hurting anymore.....did that hurt or did I just imagine it hurting? .......(long delay)......floating......

Comment

Working...
                                X