No announcement yet.

Trailer Redeux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I priced the KDAT lumber and MAN is that pricey! It's more than 2X the price of treated. The treated lumber that came on the trailer has lasted at least 25 years and is still good enough that I considered reinstalling it so I'm good with that. I'll just have to let it dry out a bit before I seal it but that's no big deal.

Steve, any ideas on a product to seal it? I'm thinking Thompson's Water Seal or similar - any input?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
      Not sure why you keep mentioning stain, but have you considered coating each board with undercoat before assembly?
      there is debate on this.... if you live in a wet climate, the water needs to go out somewhere. If you seal it completely, the water stays inside then the wood dry rots. Seal the top, and sides, leave the underside raw....

also leave air gaps between the boards so it can expand and contract... 2 screws per board per cross member,...

pressure treat is not as strong as regular wood (nor does it stay straight when exposed to the sun)... not often a problem but again, a consideration.

I used weather seal to keep the moss off - these boards get slick when wet... moss doesn't help
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 27, 2019, 06:36 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You want the absolute best wood treatment - Chromium Copper Arsenate is it.

Grandpa and I applied it to several hay wagons and trailers we rebuilt in the 80's.

CCA, that's the stuff. Green tint and super effective. Simply brushed on (not pressure treated, though that used to be how it was done) it allowed a wooden hay wagon to survive stored outdoors in Ohio for 40 years. I used it on my ramps for my green trailer at the same time - they still look like new 30 years later.

Of course it may be a tad difficult to find nowadays. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromated_copper_arsenate .

Quote from WikiPedia -
        Nevertheless, CCA remains a popular and economical option to make perishable timbers, such as plantation-grown pine, viable for applications like poles, piling, retaining structures, etc.

The stuff makes PINE viable for pilings? Convinced yet?

Last edited by STINEY; June 27, 2019, 07:10 AM.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Back on the trailer today. It's going to get blasted and primed on Monday so I need to get everything in order by then so I can just hook up and tow. So pics of yesterday and today's work.

Here's a rear view. Note that the retaining plate (I guess I'll call it) across the intersection of the flat deck and the beavertail, is now a bolt-on. It really doesn't have to do much so I think a few screws will get the job done. If you look closely you'll note that there are now studs from the center of the retaining plate thru the gap between the 2 sections of channel. After the decking is reinstalled the bottom of the studs each get a big washer and a nylox nut to hold the length of the plate and the planks in place. (Stiney - those planks will be CCA treated.)

Also shown in this pic is the extension of the license plate mount. The plate kept getting bent up because it was just mounted at the top with 2 screws and the bottom of the plate was hanging loose under the trailer frame. Note that the mount area now extends below the frame and here is further proof that I'm a better grinder than I am a weldor but it's plenty stout.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2010.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	1247663

Side view of the retaining plate. I'm using SS faseners (as/per usual where possible). Sometime in about 2044 some future dude will thank me for my clever design when s/he redecks the trailer again.

Name:	IMG_2011.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	1247664

Another view of the studs, hoping to show how this works. The downward sections were as provided by the factory. Then I welded the angled sections on, screwed in the long studs, angled said studs so that they fit thru the slots between the channels, then installed the retaining plate. Looks like it's going to work groovily.

Name:	IMG_2012.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	1247665

Comment

Oughta work...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Oughta work...
              I sure hope so! And I think it will.

Dan

Comment

Trailer is at Area 51, the sandblaster/powder coater here in town. To my surprise they'll bake at the trailer at 450*F as part of the undercoating process - this is both good and bad. The primer will be TOUGH but I may need new brake magnets as I'm not sure what will happen to the wires. If I had known this I would have removed the magnets but live and learn, I guess. I may have to replace the wheel seals, too - I'll see how they hold up.

They expect to have the trailer back to me on Friday but I let them know that there's no hurry as I really don't need it 'till September.

Dan

Comment

wow, I'm glad I did mine at home...crappy blasting job, and sprayed with rustoleum.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    I would have removed the magnets. I may have to replace the wheel seals, too.
                    They expect to have the trailer back to me on Friday
                    Sounds like you still have a few days to go there and remove those parts.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      ... To my surprise they'll bake at the trailer at 450*F as part of the undercoating process...
                      There is also some fodder about leafsprings losing their temper above 400*. I don't have a clue if that is true but it sure has a following of folks that believe it on the internet.

Comment

Not worried about the springs - they're heat treated at several times the 450 temp.

And yes, I went back over and pulled the hubs and brakes. I was hoping to be lazy but it was prudent to strip the rest of the rolling stock. The bad news - I started stripping this stuff and in the middle of it we had a localized downpour! So I got wet which really wasn't a big deal but I DO get to gripe about it.

Now then - they're baking the trailer and I would have to scuff the whole thing and then apply paint that I would have had to buy. Turns out it's only a couple of hundred more to just have them coat it (silver was my choice) and save the hassle. So that's what I'm having done. It'll look like the world's heaviest aluminum trailer.

So laziness and old age trumps frugal.

Dan

Comment

Some may say that's working smarter not harder. I am sure you will end up with a better trailer doing it your way. When I was looking at used trailers sometimes the price between new a used is small. Sell the one you have. Put the money you would spend to fix yours and the money from the sale and go tow home a new one.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                            Some may say that's working smarter not harder. I am sure you will end up with a better trailer doing it your way. When I was looking at used trailers sometimes the price between new a used is small. Sell the one you have. Put the money you would spend to fix yours and the money from the sale and go tow home a new one.
                            I thought about that but I LIKE my trailer and am used to it. As a young guy having a car trailer was out of my grasp and this is my first one so I'm sort of attached - something I thought I'd never have. So I decided to spruce it up.

Comment

Trailer at Area 51 and sitting on the trailer skates.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2013.jpg Views:	1 Size:	425.8 KB ID:	1247933

And from the rear

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2014.jpg Views:	1 Size:	390.6 KB ID:	1247934
                              Last edited by DanStokes; July 10, 2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

And pics after powder coating. This whole project is overkill I know, but what the heck.....

Name:	IMG_2055.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	1250021

Here you can see why I thought I might lose the trailer if I didn't take action. Note the pits in the metal. I think I caught it in time for the structure to be OK but some of the pits are pretty deep.

Name:	IMG_2056.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	1250022

More to come as I reassemble everything but I have a couple of projects ahead of that.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X