No announcement yet.

Trailer Redeux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Matt. I've been looking at that but I wasn't sure if it's good stuff or not. I'm thinking it should be ready for stain when you install it rather than waiting for it to dry.

And when you going to join us in Arkansas?

Dan

Comment

Not sure why you keep mentioning stain, but have you considered coating each board with undercoat before assembly?

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
        Not sure why you keep mentioning stain, but have you considered coating each board with undercoat before assembly?
        Not quite sure what the best coating might be. Mostly, I'm looking for something durable that I can apply especially to the underside of the new boards before I install them then something for the top. I stained the boards when the trailer was new and they really held up pretty well.

Dan

Comment

Stain is just a coloring, not a finish, isn't it? Or maybe you used a different kind of stain, than I'm used to.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thompson's water seal?

Comment

I used tinted water seal.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                I used tinted water seal.
                I think that's more or less what I used all those years ago. I'll keep looking.

Dan

Comment

Forgot to add - I got the wiring harness marked and removed today. Also welded up here and there, making (I hope) the trailer more stout. I cleaned up the ramp slots so the ramps slide more smoothly into place. And finally I started on some adaptors for the car skates so they'll fit the trailer frame. This way the sand blast guys can roll the trailer around in their blast booth making their job easier and my bill smaller. I think me modified car skates may also work on car frames when that time comes. None of this is pic-worthy but I'll post shots of the skates once done (probably tomorrow.

Dan

Comment

More pics:

Who woudda thunk a simple 1 car trailer had so much wire in it? Those are movie popcorn tubs (I found a bunch of them a few years ago) to give some perspective.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2007.jpg Views:	1 Size:	354.7 KB ID:	1246828

And the fully stripped trailer ready to get blasted. They have asked me to bring it on 7/8 and at that price I'll happily do that. The tires get removed once I get it there and I'll toss them in the Truck until I pick the trailer up, stripped and epoxy primed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2008.jpg Views:	1 Size:	416.5 KB ID:	1246829

And last but certainly not least, my new invention: TRAILER SKATES! I asked the blaster guys if it would be helpful to have some sort of skates to roll it around on and they issued a resounding YES. I was planning to build something from the ground up but then realized that I could make adaptors from my car skates so I did. The ones with the square tube columns will C-clamp onto the trailer frame (note the C-clamps in the bottom of the skates) and I had an old front trailer jack that acts as the upright for the front skate.

Interesting side note - I made a trip to the welding store yesterday and picked up a spool of quality wire for the MIG. What a difference! I have about 1/4 as much spatter as I was getting from the HF wire so wire quality clearly matters. I still can't see where I'm going but that's another story (I'm just glad to see at all).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2009.jpg Views:	1 Size:	396.2 KB ID:	1246830
                    Last edited by DanStokes; June 26, 2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

clever, but I wonder what your welder ever did to you

Comment

I ran out of wire on a Sunday and picked up a 10 LB spool at HF. It works - sorta - but MAN does it splatter. Clearly the metallurgy is impure. Maybe an exorcist?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          I ran out of wire on a Sunday and picked up a 10 LB spool at HF. It works - sorta - but MAN does it splatter. Clearly the metallurgy is impure. Maybe an exorcist?

Dan
                          I've decided I don't make enough money to deal with HF's down sides. If it's a one-use thing, sure, but consumables, wire, electronics.... reliable brands tend to last long enough to make the initially-cheap HF stuff more expensive in the long run. That's true, though, with lots of things - I used to buy sanding supplies by the box at HF, now I buy 3m or better and I don't think I've gone through a box yet....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I've decided I don't make enough money to deal with HF's down sides. If it's a one-use thing, sure, but consumables, wire, electronics.... reliable brands tend to last long enough to make the initially-cheap HF stuff more expensive in the long run. That's true, though, with lots of things - I used to buy sanding supplies by the box at HF, now I buy 3m or better and I don't think I've gone through a box yet....
                            This is a good thing! Our oldest son works for 3M in St. Paul (he's the brand manager for personal protective equipment) so I'm all in favor of supporting 3M. We even buy 3M brand sticky notes.

Dan

Comment

Tri M ite

My uncle retired from 3M a while back, I think it helps his retirement when I buy stuff. Probably not, but I don't mind.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Go with Matt on the pressure treated lumber. I had regular pine boards on mine when I brought from Montana in 2002 they rotted with in three years. The treated will last 15+ years. Pack them in as tight as you can they will shrink and leave gaps.

Steve
                                Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Working...
                                X