No announcement yet.

Trailer Redeux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks pretty nice. Gonna spruce up the rims now as well? If those are 5 lug it’s likely that Ford Ranger wheels are a bolt on.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

that looks really nice, i think you're right on catching it just in time.
      now some wheels and Ford hubcaps... i've found my trailer tows 30% better with Ford hubcaps....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Funny. My trailer has a Buick rim for a spare..

Comment

No plans to do much with the wheels at this time other than clean them up. The spare is currently on the RF so I'll switch that so all 4 wheels on the ground are similar in appearance. I already have too much $$ into it and new deck boards will pretty much finish it for now. I may add brakes on the front axle but the bank account may require waiting on that.

Dan

Comment

Looks good!
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Hey sorry forgot getting back with you. A lot going on. I just got a job and am moving back east. Get this.... the new job satellite structure tech. Yup space mechanic!

Regular pressure treat lumber has to dry out before you are supposed to put on any kind of coating on it. If you noticed the underside of the old boards was a lot nicer. If you can keep water beading on the top it extends the life of the deck substantially. Some of the deck stains have uv protection also. Sherwin willams semi-solid and opaque deck coats come to mind. If it were mine I would let it dry out until spring. Pressure wash it. Let it dry 24 hr and coat it with linseed oil. Thompson's will also work but don't use the water based stuff.

Are you going to paint it to match Mutt and the dodge?

steve
              Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Note the pics in post #45 (back a page). It's silver, looking like the world's heaviest aluminum trailer. I'm going to stripe it in black separated by a teal strip so it'll sorta match the race colors if one looks carefully enough. I'll post pics when I get back on it.

I was thinking of the S-W stuff, probably in a pickled oak sort of color (in other words, a very light grey) so it more or less matches the trailer frame. Good tip on the pressure wash - the treatment chemicals no doubt will leach out and sit on top so they ought to get rinsed away. I went light in color so it isn't so hot to touch after a day of sitting in the sunlight and I can already tell it works. I thought it was my original idea but there were quite a few silver trailers on the Salt so evidently great mimes think alike (can you imagine me as a mime???!!!).

Where are you moving? Sounds like you'll be workin' for Da Man!

Dan
                Last edited by DanStokes; August 23, 2019, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rightpedal View Post
                  Hey sorry forgot getting back with you. A lot going on. I just got a job and am moving back east. Get this.... the new job satellite structure tech. Yup space mechanic!

Regular pressure treat lumber has to dry out before you are supposed to put on any kind of coating on it. If you noticed the underside of the old boards was a lot nicer. If you can keep water beading on the top it extends the life of the deck substantially. Some of the deck stains have uv protection also. Sherwin willams semi-solid and opaque deck coats come to mind. If it were mine I would let it dry out until spring. Pressure wash it. Let it dry 24 hr and coat it with linseed oil. Thompson's will also work but don't use the water based stuff.

Are you going to paint it to match Mutt and the dodge?

steve
                  Man you really like to move and across town is not good enough glad to hear that you will be back east. Will you be back in two weeks? There is a little car thing going on on the east coast this year.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Oh... I thought the silver was primer. Yea that will look snazzy with some striping. For the most part staining it immediate will be ok. I still say if you have the patience, wait a bit. Your going to get some bleed and flaking at the knots and some grain lines. Pack the lumber tight, fresh treated 2x6 will shrink up to 1/4 inch.

Nope..... Private industry. Not saying much more till I know what I can say. The job is north of DC so back to Annapolis area. I start 9/3. So yea drag week will be during my second week of work. not sure if I can peal away for it. Too bad because my brother lives right next to buds creek. I might hit the VA venue on Sunday. Are you going to be there?

I hadn't really intended on hijacking your trailer thread......

Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Hijack away! We'll get back to trailer stuff eventually. I can wait - I'm a pretty patient guy. And that makes sense.

Dan

Comment

Steve do you still have the same number?

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

nope... I will pm you and Dan.

Comment

Got back on the trailer today on probably my last day in the shop for a while. I wanted to get the wiring reinstalled before I forgot the whole concept though I did mark stuff reasonably well.

Shot from the rear. Sort of a no-brainer to pop the lights back in, etc. but I also decided to run the main harness thru plastic (read "non rusting") conduit. It worked out to use a 5' piece ahead of where the side markers hook up, allow those wires to escape the conduit, and then run another 5' piece from there back. Once the floor is installed I'll add more supports so the plastic won't sag.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2086.jpg Views:	1 Size:	380.1 KB ID:	1252456

An attempt to better show the conduit placement. Here you can see that I ran more conduit from side to side for the right side marker lights. From the factory all the wire was run thru welded-on lock washers that I had to twist off the get the harness loose. This way the wiring can be serviced if needed at some point and I didn't have to weld on my new powder coat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2087.jpg Views:	1 Size:	327.5 KB ID:	1252457

From the front with the break-away battery and switch installed. I was fuzzy on the wiring for that but a quick look online refreshed my memory. Etrailer.com has lots of vids on such topics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2088.jpg Views:	1 Size:	417.8 KB ID:	1252458

And the factory installed metal conduit w/box. With this the wiring is done except for 1 redundant ground that hooks up inside the box in this pic - I'm known for grounding the heck out of everything.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2089.jpg Views:	1 Size:	370.9 KB ID:	1252459

Last edited by DanStokes; September 28, 2019, 07:41 PM.

Comment

I've really become a fan of plastic conduit to run wires since I did it on my FJ40....
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                                I've really become a fan of plastic conduit to run wires since I did it on my FJ40....
                                Didn't remember that. Great minds think alike!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X