Compliance Paranoia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compliance Paranoia

Here in Tennessee you get a license plate for a vehicle and you keep it forever. You just keep renewing it. There's one sticker for the month and then you pile up "year" stickers on the other corner of the tag.

It was the same thing in South Carolina. When they first started that in SC, it was no time before somebody peeled the sticker that came in the mail and then they thought they had to lick it to make it stick. That was weird news, a hospital trip to get the sticker removed from the tongue. Then I guess the "victim' had to jump through hoops to get another sticker for the tag to add insult to injury.

I was walking through the parking lot at the paper mill in SC so many years ago. The lot was full, I had to park a long way away. Just walking, ho-hum, I have no idea how I notice so much stuff. I'm highly visual on the uptake I guess. There was a pickup truck, the tag's sticker had expired about 6 months ago.

I knew exactly whose truck that was. I went out on the machine floor and found him. I told him, "Dude, your tag expired a long time ago." I wish I'd had a video camera. He got pale, weak at the knees and trembling. He was desperately afraid to drive the truck back home that night although he'd been driving it like that for 6 months.

It turned out, his wife handled all the mail and she had tossed the renewal sticker in a pile, unopened envelope. An envelope that sat there for 6 months. He was good, but his tag didn't show it. At worst, that would have taken some splainin' to do if he'd gotten pulled over but I don't think he'd have been in any trouble. But he was afraid when I told him about it. Deathly afraid. Terrified.
    Last edited by pdub; June 20, 2019, 07:08 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I've had several years where I've been late renewing mine on Truck. In MI they come due on your birthday which is easy to remember but here they come due a year from when you first registered the vehicle - not easy to remember. It's never been a big deal though I've been lucky and never been pulled over.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; June 21, 2019, 06:55 AM.

Comment

maine has a sticker and a long number on the sticker.. very serious on the sticker with the number showing the same month which is always a new sticker and the new year with the new number.

afraid of counterfeit I guess.

the veteran plate updated, and i got a new sticker on my old one with the same month andnew year with a new number. But that one is fake now because the new one has a new sticker with a new number to go with the number of the old month with new number and new year with a new number.

maybe its maine frauding itself and then they fight themself to stop fraud with new numbers on the same numbers to stop the fake old numbers matching the same new ones

I was in the states air guard on federal orders. All of this makes sense. I am an alien with the F word.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 20, 2019, 10:17 PM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Here in Indiana it is split up alphabetically. And being a "B" I have to renew by Feb 1 .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I really don't worry about it if you're late it's a fine. I really think most police officers don't care. If they want to talk to you they may use it for a reason to stop. If they stopped you for something else you will get a second ticket for you sticker being out of date.

I do try to get it done on time late fee is at least $15 I have paid a few. The fine is pretty used to be you could put you inspection off and get 13 months per year.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

We're not far from Meigs County, Tennessee. According to a major mainstream news media outlet, it's the meth capitol of the world. The cops supposedly need a reason to pull you over, and the lack of a license plate light is one of them. Which is ridiculous since in the last 40 years all license plates have been reflective. They light up in the dark when hit with headlights from behind. But that's a reason. A legitimate $2.00 reason to pull you over. If you've ever watched Live PD, you'll know that the lack of a license plate light has led to some major drug busts.

So many guys at the paper mill were talking about that, I eventually checked Bubba the Truck. Sure enough, his tag lights had been burned out, probably for years. So I replaced them, even though I'll never drive at night anymore because I don't have to.
            Last edited by pdub; June 22, 2019, 12:08 AM.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
            X