Goodbye San Diego, Hello Seattle-ish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye San Diego, Hello Seattle-ish

Well, my time in San Diego is coming to a close and next month I'll be moving up to the Seattle area (Bremerton, specifically). Any BangShifters between here and there wanna meet up on the trip?
    Also, anybody have any recommendations on places to stop on the way?
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

I'd recommend stopping short of Bremerton, personally. But then again, I'm not a fan of Kidnap...er, Kitsap County in any regard. And that comes from someone that had to call Olalla home for years. I will say, take advantage of every nice day you can...the geography is gorgeous and if you're an outdoor type, you'll love the place.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Yosemite, Redwood forest, Crater Lake, Mt. St. Helens.... those are the majors, there's stuff all the way up the coast as well
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 24, 2019, 06:26 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

If it were my wife she'd sample her way up the coast at all the wineries -
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Really, to catch the best of CA you'd have to zig-zag the whole way up. Or go up the east, back down the middle then up the west. I might go up 15, 395 through the desert then Owens Valley, over the pass though Yosemite as suggested, then out to Hwy 1 through Big Sur, then across the Golden Gate (park somewhere and have a taxi take you to where you can walk across) then on up through the Redwoods and the Oregon coast. Double the mileage of going straight-up I-5 but if you took a week or two to do it you'd have a heckuva trip.

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          Invite him by, SBG...he's a smart, nice guy. Not like me at all.
          Last edited by Loren; June 24, 2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
            Really, to catch the best of CA you'd have to zig-zag the whole way up. Or go up the east, back down the middle then up the west. I might go up 15, 395 through the desert then Owens Valley, over the pass though Yosemite as suggested, then out to Hwy 1 through Big Sur, then across the Golden Gate (park somewhere and have a taxi take you to where you can walk across) then on up through the Redwoods and the Oregon coast. Double the mileage of going straight-up I-5 but if you took a week or two to do it you'd have a heckuva trip.

Invite him by, SBG...he's a smart, nice guy. Not like me at all.
            Didn't realize I had to check with you, I did so long ago, sorry not to send you the memo.... well, not sorry.... but all the rest is true.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Ummmm...yeah, OK...

Anyhow he's a nice guy.

Comment

Good luck in your new location. Guess they ship you around to where they think they need you.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Guess they ship you around to where they think they need you.
                  Isn't he in the USAF ?

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                    Isn't he in the USAF ?
                    I meant "ship" as in the USPS, not "ship" as in Navy.

Comment

I should let the guy tell his own story but he's served on a nuclear sub for some time and is now going to work with decommissioning which I think is an amazing thing and probably a very challenging job. Appropriate they're sending a gear-head.

Comment

Decommissioning? You mean people can buy a used Nuclear sub?

How many water skiers could you pull with THAT?
                        Last edited by RockJustRock; June 25, 2019, 12:44 PM.
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                          Decommissioning? You mean people can buy a used Nuclear sub?
                          Removes the nuclear material and add 4 hemis for porpulson. (sp?)

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                            You mean people can buy a used Nuclear sub?
                            No funny boy.

The process that the United States Navy uses to dispose of decommissioned nuclear vessels is called the Ship/Submarine Recycling Program, which takes place only at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Washington. The vessel's nuclear fuel is removed, and is shipped by rail to the Naval Reactor Facility in the Idaho National Laboratory, located near Idaho Falls, Idaho, where it is stored in special canisters.

Then salvage workers cut the submarine into three or four pieces: the aft section, the reactor compartment, the missile compartment if one exists, and the forward section. Missile compartments are dismantled according to the provisions of the Strategic Arms Reductions Treaty.

Once the reactor compartment is removed, it is sealed at both ends and shipped by barge and multiple-wheel high-capacity trailers to the Department of Energy's Hanford Nuclear Reservation in Washington state, where they are kept in open dry storage, but slated to eventually be buried. The remaining submarine sections are recycled, all hazardous and toxic wastes are identified and removed, reusable equipment is removed and put into inventory. Scrap metals and all other materials are sold to private companies.

UPDATE: Please do not be unduly impressed, I had help from Wikipedia References:
                            1. "End Points for Spent Nuclear Fuel and High-Level Radioactive Waste in Russia and the United States". National Academies Press. 2003-06-01. Retrieved 2013-02-11.
                            2. Anatoli Diakov, Vadim Korobov and Eugene Miasnikov (1992-10-24). "Nuclear Powered Submarine Inactivation and Disposal in the U.S. and Russia: A Comparative Analysis". Center for Arms Control, Energy and Environmental Studies. Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
                            3. "Submarine reactor compartments at Hanford". Retrieved 2012-08-02.
                            4. "Trimming the Submarine Fleet". americanhistory.si.edu.
                            5. "Google Maps". Google Maps, Hanford, Washington.
                            6. Nilsen, Thomas. "Last three reactor compartments soon off the water". The Barents Observer. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
                            7. "Sayda, Murmansk Oblast, Russia". Google Maps.
                            8. "Dismantling Nuclear Submarines". U.S. Nuclear Weapons Cost Study Project. Brookings Institution. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
                            9. Kopte, Susanne (August 1997). Nuclear Submarine Decommissioning and Related Problems (PDF). paper 12. Bonn International Center for Conversion. Retrieved April 2014.
                            10. "Submarine Centennial Chronology". Navy.mil. Archived from the original on 2012-10-06. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
                            11. "Nuclear fuel from Enterprise headed for Idaho". Navy Times. Retrieved 2013-02-11.
                            12. "Draft Environmental Assessment on the Disposal of Decommissioned, Defueled, Naval Reactor Plants from USS ENTERPRISE (CVN 65), September 2011". Retrieved 2014-04-28.
                            13. Morison, Samuel Loring (December 2006). "U.S. Naval Battle Force Changes". Proceedings of the Naval Institute. 132 (12): 59–60. ISSN 0041-798X.
                            14. Morison, Samuel Loring (May 2007). "U.S. Naval Battle Force Changes". Proceedings of the Naval Institute. 133 (5): 111. ISSN 0041-798X.
                            15. Morison, Samuel Loring (May 2010). "U.S. Naval Battle Force Changes 1 January 2009 – 31 December 2009". United States Naval Institute Proceedings. 135 (5): 112. 0041-798X.
                            16. "USS Dallas completing 36-year-run in Bremerton".
                            17. "USS Cincinnati reactor compartment comes to Hanford".
                            18. "Defense Logistics Agency > News > Images". www.dla.mil.
                            19. "A nuclear sub in the desert? Parts of the USS Phoenix await permanent home".
                            20. "Navy Swaps Dallas, Norfolk Inactivation Dates". US Navy News Service. May 30, 2014.
                            21. Copeland, Kevin (11 December 2014). "USS Norfolk Decommissioned". US Navy News Service.
                            22. "Submarine USS Buffalo Arrives in Washington for Decommissioning".
                            23. "Ships, Both Coasts, Disposed". Nvr.navy.mil. Retrieved 2013-02-09.

Comment

Submarine duty? Respect Eagle.
                              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X