Turn Signals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Signals?

I've been driving around on our town's streets an unusual amount of time (for me at least) for about the past three weeks. Back and forth, burning the road up.

I have deducted from casual observation that at least the majority of drivers in Cleveland, Tennessee never use a turn signal. Perhaps the vast majority. Not for lane changes, not for legitimate turns. Granted, that the main roads in Cleveland (Keith Street, Paul Huff Parkway) have a lot of turnouts. Places where you move over and wait for the little green arrow that dictates traffic flow. It's pretty obvious that you're waiting to turn left, so why bother with the turn signal I guess.

But everywhere else you have to somehow predict what the other driver's intent is. That car's slowing down, must be gonna turn, but which way? Best to stay off of him. I was sitting in the straight lane watching the left turn lane in the side mirror just for the fun of it. Nope, no, no, no, YES, no, no, ewwww that's a cop and he isn't using his turn signal either.
    Last edited by pdub; July 16, 2019, 04:46 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I use mine probably 95% of the time whether someone is around or not. But really , once in the turn lane do your really need to continue to listen to that thing click for 3 lights ? For crying out loud , it's a turn lane !
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

My family in Florida says they are no longer required by law, just a courtesy.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I have often voiced the opinion that many new car buyers pay to have them removed.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Here in Phoenix it seems the turn signal is to let the asshole in the lane next to you speed up and block you from getting in the lane you need to be in.

Comment

With truck and trailer with a derby car if I signal to move, some axx always moves enough I can't, well tough! I warned you... Creep over!

There are driveways on both sides of my street (45 mph zone) signalers either go in my street or the driveway next to the street..

Buddy drives delivery truck for a sheet metal duct place and is always posting "Use your signals People!"

Comment

so many ways to trigger people, so little time.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                so many ways to trigger people, so little time.
                When we lived in Lancaster SC, it seemed that most folks used their turn signals to keep a cop from pulling them over for that violation. The cops were bored, nothing to do.

But there was such a thing I referred to as, "Festival Parking." At the grocery store or the convenience store, wherever, when you get into the parking lot off of the street, just turn the engine off and go inside the store. Sideways, backward, whatever wherever however. The locals were all blind to the color white, or they all thought those neatly painted stripes were some sort of a decoration that can only be appreciated by folks in low-flying airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

When we lived in Lancaster SC, it seemed that most folks used their turn signals to keep a cop from pulling them over for that violation. The cops were bored, nothing to do.

But there was such a thing I referred to as, "Festival Parking." At the grocery store or the convenience store, wherever, when you get into the parking lot off of the street, just turn the engine off and go inside the store. Sideways, backward, whatever wherever however. The locals were all blind to the color white, or they all thought those neatly painted stripes were some sort of a decoration that can only be appreciated by folks in low-flying airplanes.
                  I entertained myself on an hours-long-drive behind someone who was making a left turn around the world by turning my signal on one way for a mile, then the other way, then the other way.... not that I wanted to pass because they were going an adequate speed.. but because I was bored. Eventually they figured it out and flipped me off.... so I went ahead and continued doing so until they left the road....
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I entertained myself on an hours-long-drive behind someone who was making a left turn around the world ...
                    There was a song about that years ago. About exactly that.

Comment

On a historical note I remember our family being jubilant that our Studebaker Lark had a turn signal flasher loud enough to be annoying.
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

George covers a bunch of it here - - https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6&&FORM=VRDGAR

I thought I remembered something about some people think it costs them a dime every time their blinker blinks so never uses the turn signal or the other one who thinks he gets a nickel for each time it blinks and leaves it on for hours -

Or merging- - go faster, go slower, but don't go the same speed as me jag off -
                        Last edited by 70chevyC-10; July 18, 2019, 05:15 AM.
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                        X