50 years ago...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 years ago...

Three men were on their way to the moon.

This is a cool Vid on Youtube, Relive Apollo 11 in real time.

Tim
    Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

I vaguely remember my parents watching this on TV....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It's interesting in "real time" that at that point they are going barely less than 3000 mph. That's pretty darned fast driving through town, but earth orbit escape velocity is 25,000 mph. So even after they leave earth orbit, the earth's gravity is continuously tugging against them until the moon's own gravity takes over and sucks them in.

That's rocket science, they had all of that figured on on slide rules and mighty dumb slow computers. Just amazing.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The big deal is Woodstock 50 is next month. My best friend's sister was going to take us to see The Who until we heard about the traffic. We were within a hundred miles or so.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

That's rocket science, they had all of that figured on on slide rules and mighty dumb slow computers. Just amazing.
          The PBS American Experence series on the space program said that the iPhone that first came out was 10 times stronger than the moon lander...

My mom built circuit boards for both Apollo and the moon lander, but not the rover..

Comment

I watched all of this happen. I'll never forget going outside and realizing that the full moon had people walking on it. Pretty heady stuff.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Here is a link to the NASA timeline of the mission, the running clock near the center of the above video is the mission clock.

https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_11i_Timeline.htm

Just after the 100hr mark is where it gets exciting...

Tim
              Melbourne Australia

Comment

My son told me that NASA paid Stanley Kubrick to fake the moon landing, but he was such a perfectionist he insisted on doing it "on location"...

Comment

The claims of fakeness was due to the 3 networks having stages built to have something to watch on the television as there was no camera made to film that epic adventure as it happened. Think of the football games on tv at the time..

Comment

I don't actually question the legitimacy of it happening, just thought the joke was funny.

Some conspiracy theories I could believe, and other ones just seem ridiculous. I tend to follow the question of "Who would make money from this?"

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                      The big deal is Woodstock 50 is next month. My best friend's sister was going to take us to see The Who until we heard about the traffic. We were within a hundred miles or so.
                      my dad is 68.
                      he was a nerd but went hippy.
                      he was at woodstock. I still check any photos that seem new (there aren't many , absurdly enough) to see if I can spot him.
                      never quite returned as my mom would say.

I was young to see columbia take off.. I never saw that side of him before.
                      he rambled on like an encyclopedia.
                      I know how he runs his own rig, does all the labor, paperwork, brokering, and on time.
                      In a maine year 30 below to 100 above...

anyway, he bought me a model of the space shuttle that made noises. I was a bit too old for it...I think I was 10.
                      but he liked it himself.

There is a divide to thinker and too cool for it.
                      imagine being both.

anything can happen... like a trip to outer space by dreaming of it.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 18, 2019, 10:21 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Markmx6 View Post
                        I don't actually question the legitimacy of it happening, just thought the joke was funny.

Some conspiracy theories I could believe, and other ones just seem ridiculous. I tend to follow the question of "Who would make money from this?"
                        Joke was funny! No doubt there..

If it sounds too good to be true then likely is..

For me watching the moon landing, hearing the voices but understnding none. Exciting ecause mom did work on Apollo and the moon lander.. If not for that, I'd likely not watch.

Comment

Listening to it now, they are in lunar orbit and are about to loose communications as they go around the back of the moon.

I imagine this was the feed the wives heard on their squawk boxes in their homes.
                          Tim
                          Melbourne Australia

Comment

That Youtube link has crashed, well for me it has, here is another link.

Click on the "Now" box on the right.

A real-time interactive journey through the first landing on the Moon. Relive every moment as it occurred in 1969.

That's a better link, it's interactive, the buttons work!
                            Last edited by 65RHDEER; July 20, 2019, 07:18 PM.
                            Tim
                            Melbourne Australia

Comment

Working...
                            X