Siding Done Right - The Never Ending Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siding Done Right - The Never Ending Story

All accomplished with only a telephone........

This is a residing job on the ol' hascienda. We had some storm damage to the vinyl siding and after considerable looking found a guy (with a crew) both willing and able to reside with Hardie board. The house is getting HEAVY! And lookin' good! They're cleaning up after themselves and generally doing an A-1 job. They expect to finish tomorrow.

Front of the house, peeled:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2025.jpg Views:	1 Size:	396.5 KB ID:	1248950

Here's the back, done. They have a husband and wife team doing the painting as soon as the siding folks get the siding in place. They caulk the heck out of everything, allow the caulk to dry, then paint as the siding crew keeps working around the house. It's working out VERY well. Most of the crew are family and they work well together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2028.jpg Views:	1 Size:	286.3 KB ID:	1248951

Some of the crew working their way up one of the walls (there are 5 guys on the siding crew as well as the 2 painters). These guys don't come up for air! Steadily at it, they've made quicker work of this than I would have thought..

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2032.jpg Views:	1 Size:	510.7 KB ID:	1248952

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; July 30, 2019, 07:48 PM.

Working their S off.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Looking good Dan!
      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Not a bad way to go..

Comment

Nice when you can get a contractor that talks the talk and walks the walk.
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

They're nearly done with just a couple of fixes to make and the final painting to do. One of the painters has been working today to paint the peaks and do a second coat on some of the trim. I'll get some pics later today showing the "cedar shakes" on the peaks - they look great.

Dan

Comment

And today's promised pics:

The painter painting the shakes. No quick way to do these with all the little cracks and edges.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2033.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	1249118
              A shot on the other side of the front, all done.

Name:	IMG_2035.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	1249119

We are a tad unsure of the yellow trim but we're growing to like it. It CAN be repainted if we decide we can't live with it.

Dan

Comment

Bright colors and contrasting trim are all the rage. You can have this little 800 sq. ft. shack in Long Beach for $600K.

Name:	shack.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1249123

Comment

Out of our price range and geographically undesirable given the location of family and friends. But interesting to see the color choices.

Dan

Comment

2 beds, 1 bath, half a mil. Not a bargain?

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                      2 beds, 1 bath, half a mil. Not a bargain?
                      Depends. With only one bathroom I'm gonna need 'em!

Dan

Comment

I just like to point out from time to time. If you think the equity in your property has topped out, it hasn't.

Comment

Glad to see you were able to find folks to do the work that actually know what they are doing and do the job correctly. You're lucky. We had damage probably from the same storm that got you. We had a guy come out and replace missing shingles and a few other things. We are already having to redo what he and his crew did. Two roofing guys came out to give estimates as to what needed to be done now that we find shingles in the yard whenever there is a windstorm of some sort. Both identified the same problems including the need for new plywood in places. So now we are getting the entire roof (the shingles) and other repairs. Luckily the one we chose has worked with a friend who is a contractor who builds big beautiful homes. Maybe success will come this time.

Comment

That's a bummer, Joe! We've been lucky so far with hiring contractors but sadly they only work in the 3 county area around us so I can't send them your way. The siding guy does pretty much everything except plumbing and electrical so he's a great resource as I find myself doing less and less myself (darn old age......)

Best of luck on the new roof!

Dan
                            Last edited by DanStokes; August 8, 2019, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Monday will tell the tale. Shingles are being delivered Friday and work begins Monday morning. My fingers are crossed.

Comment

Working...
                              X