Siding Done Right - The Never Ending Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
    Monday will tell the tale. Shingles are being delivered Friday and work begins Monday morning. My fingers are crossed.
    Good luck!

Comment

And the final step -

To fix the leak into the studio and to facilitate the siding installation I removed the box I had built to protect the AC lines from the compressor into the studio (it has a mini split). When the AC guy installed a new mini split a couple of years ago he put the vertical lines in a conduit system as shown in the first pic. I was able to find the maker of the duct system and ordered up enough to contain the lines horizontally as well as the necessary corners to make the whole deal look as neat as possible. Here's pics of the Before and after - I think it looks pretty decent.

Before:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2057.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	1250196

And after:

Name:	IMG_2060.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	1250197

I think I'll paint the blocks where the lines penetrate the siding in the tan color so they kind of blend with the siding but otherwise the job is DONE!

Dan

Comment

Looks good. Feels even better having a house job knocked off the list, right?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          Looks good. Feels even better having a house job knocked off the list, right?
          Absotively and posalutely.

Dan

Comment

OK. So I found One More Thing to do to call the house exterior "done".

When it rains the front roof peak has been dumping water in front to the studio at the site of the old garage doors and it was backing up against the wall until it had time to wash down the driveway. The solution was obvious - it needed a gutter and downspout to put that water in a safe place. I tried to get a gutter guy to come and do it but I guess it was too small a job to catch their interest as no one ever showed up to do it - so I tackled it using parts from Lowe's. Not as slick as a one-piece custom formed job but it'll get the tack accomplished.

The scene of the crime. That valley really dumps water when we get our coastal rain storms.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2061.jpg Views:	1 Size:	317.2 KB ID:	1250686

The first piece in place. I hope that splash guard in the corner is adequate to keep the runoff in the gutter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2062.jpg Views:	1 Size:	291.0 KB ID:	1250687

And the final product. I know the pros wouldn't have done that return at the left end (leading to the downspout) but I kinda like it. Took some fancy measuring but it fits like a glove and tucks the downspout back and out of the way in the driveway back to the shop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2063.jpg Views:	1 Size:	355.2 KB ID:	1250688
            Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; August 31, 2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Do you think that will dam the water to the point where it goes back up and under the shingles? I guess the question is do you have ice-dam stuff at that corner? I chased a leak for years (and my dad - decades) where when the roof was finally pulled off - you could see the water track where the wind had blown the water 3 feet up the roof...
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                Do you think that will dam the water to the point where it goes back up and under the shingles? I guess the question is do you have ice-dam stuff at that corner? I chased a leak for years (and my dad - decades) where when the roof was finally pulled off - you could see the water track where the wind had blown the water 3 feet up the roof...
                When the roof was redone they put ice and water dam (the bitumen roll stuff) at least 3 feet up. I expect it'll be OK but I will keep an eye on it.

And who changed my title!!!?????
                I did

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

When the roof was redone they put ice and water dam (the bitumen roll stuff) at least 3 feet up. I expect it'll be OK but I will keep an eye on it.

Dan
                  I'm going to guess that some Florida guy really needs a dose of Dorian :D
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I'm going to guess that some Florida guy really needs a dose of Dorian :D
                    Me too! I just hope we don't get much of it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                      Atreyu, one of these guys.

Name:	The-NeverEnding-Story-the-neverending-story-690129_720_545-625x352.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1250752
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Photos in a week or so.... "Revenge Of Siding Done Right".
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Hope in a week it is not "HOUSE REDONE"

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            Hope in a week it is not "HOUSE REDONE"
                            ME TOO!!!! We're waiting a couple of days to see how the storm moves but we'll get the heck out of Dodge if the situation calls for it.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X