Ford still can't build an LS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    An additional thought (going back to the thread title). WHY would Ford build an LS anything? Someone else is doing that. Is the new Ford pushrod engine as good or better? We'll just have to wait and find out. The LS I installed was a bundle of problems and what I learned is that they're fussy regarding their oiling systems but DO make great power once you get them fully primed and running. So how will the new Ford work/run?....... Patience.

Dan
    I'm sure they'll be pushed as well as any other Ford.

*love my Dan setups
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The Gen 3 Hemi started as a truck engine and the LS started in the Corvette (kinda like a truck) so the new Ferd will likely outgrow that app. The funny thing about engines is that nobody really knows how they will perform until they are in the field. So many variables a dyno can't allow for.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I'm sure they'll be pushed as well as any other Ford.

*love my Dan setups
        Sounds like you have more faith in crystal balls than do I. I'll just wait and see. Don't see that as a "setup".

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
          The Gen 3 Hemi started as a truck engine and the LS started in the Corvette (kinda like a truck) so the new Ferd will likely outgrow that app. The funny thing about engines is that nobody really knows how they will perform until they are in the field. So many variables a dyno can't allow for.
          I'm a fan of the dyno and use one to help understand my engine changes. But you're absolutely right - they're not always a very good predictor of what happens in service as people run them low on oil, fail to maintain them, etc, etc. Or maybe that block isn't QUITE as strong as it needs to be. We'll see how it works out.

Dan

Comment

My favorite was the early FI units for the 5.0 Ford. They made two units, one car, one truck. The truck unit outperformed the car one across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Sounds like you have more faith in crystal balls than do I. I'll just wait and see. Don't see that as a "setup".

Dan
              all in good fun....

It's a proven fact that my trailer tows better now that it has Ford hubcaps on it
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 4, 2019, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                GM has always been about torque at the expense of hp. the OHC motors from Ford make a lot of hp, but there's the difference in philosophy - so when GM builds a halo motor for its cars, it will have torque. Ford gives you HP instead... and meets a different market - which naturally leads to the debate going on for eternity.... that said, Ford made some comments about pushrod motors that they get to eat with a bit of crow now.

Comment

A question, what do the L and the S stand for in LS?

I know what an LS motor is but have no idea on what the LS means.
                  Last edited by 65RHDEER; August 4, 2019, 11:56 PM.
                  Tim
                  Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post

The same things Z and 28 stand for, absolutely nothing, just a production code.

Comment

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post

According to google - Luxury Sport

Comment

I am anxious to see what this truck motor will just a camshaft change. Seems to be cammed for low end torque.
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                          I am anxious to see what this truck motor will just a camshaft change. Seems to be cammed for low end torque.
                          same as always.. I look forward to it too.

I actually like truck motors in cars. chug along like a tug boat. stay in overdrive on 12% grades.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

All I know is I am tired of hearing about this Ellis guy and his engines.

Comment

4 wheeler magazine has an editorial this month about 4 cyl. motors (and 6s) in full size trucks. There are people who will 'never buy anything less then a V8' in a truck. I think that's kind of silly. Tires don't care how many cylinders, loads don't either. With Variable timing, direct injection, and turbos, you can have your cake and eat it too with a smaller motor.... less parasitic loss, and the same hp. I think manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot in two ways, though, with the smaller motors. They proclaim great mileage from motors that have no torque and are utterly useless as truck motors (e.g. Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl.), or they don't publish the numbers because they're better then the large equivalent. The V6 in the Colorado has 300 hp but it's a car motor, the Diesel at 4 cyl and 150 hp will run circles around it in the real world.... of course, GM knows that when that gets out, it will only hole the gas sales with no up side on the diesel side (they'll buy Toyotas - which are on every level worse but have a better reputation)....

I think BBR's comment is kind of funny because they build a torque motor and he wants a hp motor.... so he puts a cam in it that loses torque for hp.... and truthfully the OHC V8 would run circles around it in hp comparisons....

Comment

Coyotes have a bad rep for splitting the block. Most people will never build them to that power level, but it is just THERE, the block could split. Plus that is the polar opposite of the old 5.0. You had to do something really stupid to kill one of those, even on stock parts. Everyone is hoping for a fat 5.0 with some stolen Ellis tech.

BTW, I got Ellis because there is a TV lawyer here, Ellis Law. Makes me wonder what LS Law would be like?
                                Last edited by RockJustRock; August 6, 2019, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X