No announcement yet.

Ford still can't build an LS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old 5.0s had a zip strip through the cam, nice to see that Ford stays true to their history.

I suppose it would be like any other law stuff, hated by everyone until they need it....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      I think BBR's comment is kind of funny because they build a torque motor and he wants a hp motor.... so he puts a cam in it that loses torque for hp....
      I like race cars, what can I say?

Max torque rating is higher than max hp, so that tells me there is a lot left on the table for those of us that don't give a flip about dragging a 15k lb trailer around.

I think one of these in a Fox with just a cam change and corresponding tune would be a darn fast street car. Seems like a great platform to me, just hope the aftermarket feels the same way.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post

I like race cars, what can I say?

Max torque rating is higher than max hp, so that tells me there is a lot left on the table for those of us that don't give a flip about dragging a 15k lb trailer around.

I think one of these in a Fox with just a cam change and corresponding tune would be a darn fast street car. Seems like a great platform to me, just hope the aftermarket feels the same way.
        why not a turbo instead? that's the magic of the LS - you get your torque and your hp too with a hairdryer.... potentially, as long as the strength is there, the same principles would apply to the new FoMotor.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I think BBR's comment is kind of funny because they build a torque motor and he wants a hp motor.... so he puts a cam in it that loses torque for hp.... and truthfully the OHC V8 would run circles around it in hp comparisons....
          Kinda like all those guys that do cam swaps on the LQ9 and put them in hotrods?

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post

Kinda like all those guys that do cam swaps on the LQ9 and put them in hotrods?

ever driven one of those 'hot rods'? you know my typical rant - that magazines convince people that they must change things without ever fully explaining why that change could make no sense. I can even illustrate. I had a Chevy 4x4 that I built with what sounded like a mild cam to maximize torque. The guy who bought it from me told me he was going to swap out that "stupid" cam and get rid of that "stupid quadrapuke"... of course, I had his money and so couldn't have cared less what he did with his truck. So he put a holley double pumper on it and a large cam..... he hated it, so he sold the truck to a friend who is an auto dealer. I got to drive it, what a pig.... before it got 15 mpg (on 35s), with the 'updates' it was maybe getting 7 and the oil smelled like gas.

So yes, people do swaps and I've made a great deal of money buying those pigs, repairing them with more stock parts and selling it for big bucks... I still have the solid roller cam that replaced my 'stupid' cam .... correction solid flat tappet...

and more directly the LQ9 stuff - ever watch Kindig or any of the other high end builders when they put a crate motor in.... how many times do they change the cam? you'd think on 250k builds that the motor would be something special.... and they are, they ball mill the coil covers....
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 7, 2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

and let's dive down from there... people updating new stuff....

the days of easy performance is gone. Manufacturers would leave large numbers on the table (e.g. original Hemi motors) for the motoring public to discover on their own. Now? show me a motor that with a cam change or headers will net you more then 40 hp..... most of the time, the 'increase' only comes because they forgot to put the belts back on or left the a/c pump off....

Stock heads are designed for purpose, aftermarket head manufacturers won't tell you this, but that large flow head is going to suck driving on the street. But if they didn't have suckers buying that stuff, they'd go out of business.

Going back to the new FoMotor - adding a turbo to it, presuming it can handle the increased power, will extend the rpm range and increase power - especially at the upper points on the curve. Simply swapping a cam so that the curve only shifts right is pretty pointless because there are other motors out there that can do the same thing with less weight, complexity, and annoyance.

I don't care your brand preference - they're all competitive, and they're all nothing more or less then an air pump.

Comment

Right now it looks like a good truck motor. We don't know ANYTHING except 430 HP and 475 Ft. Lb. Are the rotating components cast or forged? What rpm range is targeted? It appears to have decent stock exhaust manifolds, can the rpm range go higher? In the past Ford put 5.0s in trucks that could turn 30-50% more RPM than they intended but THIS one is 445 cu. in. I seriously doubt it will turn into the next BBC.
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                  Right now it looks like a good truck motor. We don't know ANYTHING except 430 HP and 475 Ft. Lb. Are the rotating components cast or forged? What rpm range is targeted? It appears to have decent stock exhaust manifolds, can the rpm range go higher? In the past Ford put 5.0s in trucks that could turn 30-50% more RPM than they intended but THIS one is 445 cu. in. I seriously doubt it will turn into the next BBC.
                  Or BBR

Comment

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      Interesting! Sounds like it's ready for BOOST!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by ]=RockJustRock View Post
                        THIS one is 445 cu. in. I seriously doubt it will turn into the next BBC.
                        =SuperBuickGuy] Or BBR
                        Or BBO.

So.....why would Ford want to build an LS??

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Instead of telling the market what they wanted, Ford actually listened to what their target market was wanting. They wanted simple to work on and easy to maintain. Something the SOHC and DOHC lacked completely.

I don't see it becoming the next LS or the next BBC, but it does seem like a nice platform with the potential to make great power either na or boosted. Drop one off in my driveway and I would have no qualms about pulling the 302 out of the 83 and cramming a 7.3 in.

I just hope Ford builds it long enough for the aftermarket to catch up and exploit it's potential. It seems non-GM aftermarket stuff always takes a while to rubber-band into reality. Just look at Gen3 Hemi as an example of that. Introduced in 2004ish and in the last few years finally becoming a viable engine swap candidate.

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Instead of telling the market what they wanted, Ford actually listened to what their target market was wanting. They wanted simple to work on and easy to maintain. Something the SOHC and DOHC lacked completely.

I don't see it becoming the next LS or the next BBC, but it does seem like a nice platform with the potential to make great power either na or boosted. Drop one off in my driveway and I would have no qualms about pulling the 302 out of the 83 and cramming a 7.3 in.

I just hope Ford builds it long enough for the aftermarket to catch up and exploit it's potential. It seems non-GM aftermarket stuff always takes a while to rubber-band into reality. Just look at Gen3 Hemi as an example of that. Introduced in 2004ish and in the last few years finally becoming a viable engine swap candidate.
                            I agree,. I have an 87 if they need. Test platform.

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

The Gen3 was slow to take off because of the locked up electronics and few saw the potential. My ears perked up when Garlits put the 392 crate on nitro. Think of doing that with any other modern engine. LS or Coyote on fuel, even if just to cackle? Would you stand next to them? Still it took the factory pumping 7-800 ponies to REALLY wake up the market.
                              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

We will see how true this statement remains as the new Corvette seems to have a direct, internet connection to GM (which may allow GM to remove aftermarket-tunes-on-the-fly).... with that said:

GM never built the best, they built the most accessible. When GMG was doing their race against Roadkill, the filming of the trouble they had to go through just to jailbreak the engine management system is the norm for Mopar and Ford. It's the biggest factor in why GM is the go-to for engine swaps.... and it's not even that they are particularly better then the other 3 now, but they have the mass of people who look forward to tuning them - where there's 10 who do Ford, there's a 1000 who specialize in GM. Throw in a few dead end dogs (popping spark plugs anyone?) and GM remains at the top of the swap market. Had Mopar not been sponsoring the competition - would GMG used a Mopar motor? I get Freiburger's toast is buttered by LS, but to builders who wish to remain profitable.... LS is the only answer.

That said, I get far more excited to see someone hot rod a natural-to-the-breed engine in a car then I do seeing someone take the easy way out with an LS.... that said, I'm not throwing rocks because I'm the midst of a moral dilemma on the Buick wagon I'm building.... it'd be so easy to swap in an LS and 4L60e - and ultimately, it'd probably be worth more because of the wider audience and the lack of need to educate the buyer that a V6 can be every bit as fast as an LS...
                                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 9, 2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X