• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessi Combs killed in a LSR record attempt yesterday

R.I.p. girlfriend

https://jalopnik.com/fastest-woman-o...Fo0FgkqThyqdt0

it's a Washington State based effort.... RIP

North American Eagle is the effort's name, they haven't announced anything, yet... Ed Shadle was the original force behind the effort and he died of cancer last year - Jesse, it seems, took the reins and was instrumental in making this go forward. *sigh* today sucks.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 28, 2019, 07:36 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

That's a damn shame. Joe Timney (Delaware Chassis Works and former co-owner of ECTA) said years ago that somebody was going to die in that car as it didn't meet what he determined to be adequate safety standards. I know he wishes he was wrong - but he wasn't. Good bye, Jessi. The car world will miss you.

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; August 28, 2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        That's a damn shame. Joe Timney (Delaware Chassis Works and former co-owner of ECTA) said years ago that somebody was going to die in that car as it didn't meet what he determined to be adequate safety standards. I know he wishes he was wrong - but he wasn't. Good bye, Jessi. The car world will miss you.

Dan
        I know they spent a huge amount of money and time making it safer after Ed Shadle died, but unfortunately it was not enough. That said, I've always questioned using an airplane for LSR, they have different and often conflicting design parameters...
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 28, 2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

also a more thorough report

Terry was her boyfriend - read his tribute as well... wow, I can't imagine being able to write that so soon after the tragedy.

Comment

Joe Timney (Delaware Chassis Works and former co-owner of ECTA) said years ago that somebody was going to die in that car as it didn't meet what he determined to be adequate safety standards.
            Joe wasn't the only one.... Several highly regarded builders on landracing.com hoped it would never make an attempt, and also hoped the project would die when Ed Shadle did.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I didn't know there was so much controversy surrounding the car/plane. Either way sad deal for everybody connected to her directly. Not to mention all those she inspired. She had her hands on so many different things and seemed to do pretty damn at everything. RIP Jesse!!!

Comment

since this is waving between positive and negative, I'll add this bit

I'm so tired of hearing people who have nothing to say use these words "at least (s)he died doing what (s)he loved." Really, Jesse died in the arms of her boyfriend and his words were a plan to move forward without her. No one ever wants to move forward without someone, nor does anyone need to hear those words - the survivor lives life where people remark that somehow their loved one's death is better. Death sucks, there is no 'doing what they love' there is only loss and comfort to the survivors. She died tragically, there will always be someone out there saying "I told you so" and the only thing that would make it better is if the critics learned to shut the hell up or make the survivor's life better by dying while being a troll. After all, trolls love trolling so if they die doing it - then it's better for all of the rest us and certainly better for those most directly affected by the loss.

*rant off*

Comment

Originally posted by ratpatrol66 View Post
                  I didn't know there was so much controversy surrounding the car/plane. Either way sad deal for everybody connected to her directly. Not to mention all those she inspired. She had her hands on so many different things and seemed to do pretty damn at everything. RIP Jesse!!!
                  Please be clear - everyone in the LSR community wished them nothing but the best. It's just that this vehicle started out not as a vehicle meant to go fast on land and everything from there on was a compromise to try to make it go fast where it was not designed to. Those of us in LSR (and I'm bold to include myself in that community) were not upset, just worried. And those fears not only came to pass but took one of our stars with it. Heartbreaking.

Dan

Comment

Ejection seats don't work very well on the ground.
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Please be clear - everyone in the LSR community wished them nothing but the best. It's just that this vehicle started out not as a vehicle meant to go fast on land and everything from there on was a compromise to try to make it go fast where it was not designed to. Those of us in LSR (and I'm bold to include myself in that community) were not upset, just worried. And those fears not only came to pass but took one of our stars with it. Heartbreaking.

Dan
                      your presumption is you think what he was talking about was the cause of her demise. Let me ask you a fairly pointed question, if you were the family of Jesse Combs and you came in here - would you find comfort in your post? I like you a lot Dan, but as a punk kid, I'm asking you to re-evaluate what you said.....

Comment

If it saves someone else's life , I'm with Dan. Trust me , I'm a risk taker and respect a person's right to take risks. But if your going to take risks , try your best to slant the odds in your favor . I respect the risk she took but yeah , it ended in tragedy. I enjoyed everything she did . R.I.P.
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I think the whole world was aware of the safety limitations, which is why the program only got limited press. Look at the crashes Breedlove and others survived. They built the car to use the engine. No disrespect, but the program was LSR for grounded fighter planes. Replacing huge wings with four small contact patches and putting the whole thing inches from a hard surface. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with looking risks in the eye and taking them on. The American Way. I won't say it shouldn't have happened.
                          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I was at SPRING MAKE an event for "makers" Jessie was a speaker talking about women in a "mans" world. She was an inspiration and I am a guy. She was a delightful person.
                            I am having a hard time keeping a dry eye writing this.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                              Ejection seats don't work very well on the ground.

"the only thing that would make it better is if the critics learned to shut the hell up or make the survivor's life better by dying while being a troll. After all, trolls love trolling so if they die doing it - then it's better for all of the rest us and certainly better for those most directly affected by the loss."

Comment

Working...
                              X