Weld helmet issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weld helmet issue

Not a rant - simply wondering if anyone else is dealing with this.

I have a Miller Elite helmet I bought early 2014. It has worked as expected since new, but recently the dimming function seems to be possessed. My first thought was battery, and I replaced it, that helped but it still either doesn't dim or dims then doesn't come back to see-through. Replaced the battery again, replaced the protective lens, dusted (gently) the lens and sensors... no joy. Anyone else dealing with this? I've reached out to Miller but probably won't hear back for at least a couple days.... are sensors a wear item? I would hope that replacing $400 helmets every 5 years is not the answer.... of course, if it is.... what do you like? this helmet is starting to wear on the pivots so I won't be terribly upset to give it a full update (I like that it doesn't fog easily).
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

I'm using a Jackson with good luck but I've only had it a couple of years. Also found out recently that 3M now owns Speedglass (our son is PPE manager at 3M) so they might be good stuff - 3M puts a lot into making quality products.

Dan

Comment

I buy cheap... about the same interval, couple years.
      that would be sensor or it does not know how to charge.

buy another cheap one.
      they seem to be smarter... another new version. they don't mention changes.. it is just better anyway.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

My first automatic helmet bit the dust a couple of years ago, it was only 3-4 years old. Used batteries and was on the third batch.

I have a solar powered one now (arc powers it) no batteries and so far I like it much better. Quicker action.
        Last edited by STINEY; September 3, 2019, 06:45 PM.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I got one of the cheaper Miller helmets ten years ago, still working good. I did replace the battery last year, although it was still working.I just didn't want it to die while I was at the college taking welding class.

As for what's the problem, and how do you fix it? I think cleaning the sensor and replacing the battery is about all you can do for them.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
            My first automatic helmet bit the dust a couple of years ago, it was only 3-4 years old. Used batteries and was on the third batch.

I have a solar powered one now (arc powers it) no batteries and so far I like it much better. Quicker action.
            Most of some form of internal storage to darken the helmet, my other no-name helmet does that but if it's been sitting awhile it takes a perceptible time to darken. The Miller uses the battery to darken but also save the settings.

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            I got one of the cheaper Miller helmets ten years ago, still working good. I did replace the battery last year, although it was still working.I just didn't want it to die while I was at the college taking welding class.

As for what's the problem, and how do you fix it? I think cleaning the sensor and replacing the battery is about all you can do for them.
            When I bought it, they had 'just' come out and it was considered a high-end. The store I used talked me into it because my eye was on a Speedaire. With that said, I think you're right, I just wonder if the sensors are wear items.... I certainly use mine at the high end of a home-user, but certainly no where near a professional....

It wouldn't break my heart to update, there's some nice features that create better resolution in the new helmets (along with greater view area)....
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 3, 2019, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I do not have one of these fancy ones but while building at another shop, the guy was complaining his eyes hurt, I tried it and seemed to darken too slow.
              The new one he bought reacted faster..

We use Huntsman model, nice and light. One has a newer headband. Not fancy, quick nod and down it goes..

Comment

Miller's answer - surprisingly no "dancing with virgin witches at midnight during a harvest moon".... of course, they may simply presume that we already know this....

Are you using Panasonic batteries?

If the lens is a digital elite put brand new Panasonic batteries in the lens

Turn the lens on

Turn sensitivity to zero

Remove the batteries while the lens is on

Press and hold the on/off button for 10 seconds.

Put batteries back in the lens.

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 4, 2019, 10:31 AM.

Comment

From the sidelines it sounds like you are trouble shooting a 5 year old cell phone.
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    From the sidelines it sounds like you are trouble shooting a 5 year old cell phone.
                    doesn't it though? unreal, my world for a reset button....
                    and I checked my helmet tonight - nowhere does it state the brand name battery, it tells you the various consumables via a sticker - but not brand.... ah well, I hope it works.
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 4, 2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

The battery brand name thing is pure BS
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Give up. You NEED the new features.

Comment

I have an old Speedglass and used it daily for the first 8 years. Now it's used once or twice a month, still no issues and over 15 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            The battery brand name thing is pure BS
                            unless it's a warranty claim... with that said, I agree - but I also think it's BS that the sensors aren't working right after 6 years.

Comment

Welding humor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	560.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1251228

Comment

Working...
                              X