• Dan stokes and hurricanes

How is Dan doing with this one?
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Wondering myself..
    Got no reply to my email.
    Must be bugging out.

Comment

The Weather Channel just showed a crew taking down the plywood boards in Wilmington.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I called Dan he is good / safe. I will let him tell his story when he gets back on line.
        Last edited by Russell; September 6, 2019, 11:25 AM.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
          I called Dan he is good / safe. I will let him tell his story when he gets back on line.
          Thank you!

Comment

He answered my email.. A-ok!

Comment

No issues at all. We went up to Fancy Gap, VA and said HI to Victor (he's mostly on the Power Tour thread) and hung out for a couple of days. As it turns out we could have stayed home but of course there's no way to know that ahead of time. There is little to no damage in our area with just a couple of small limbs down. ME's theory is that Florence took out all of the weak or poorly rooted trees so there's little or nothing left to fall and I think she has a point. Our wonderful neighbors stayed and they report that we didn't even lose power. Our house is completely untouched so evidently my post-Florence modifications were successful (good to know) as we did have a fair bit of rain.

Thanks all for your concern. Haven't heard from Andy but he's on the Gulf side of FL so ought to be OK. My Grandkids and families in Jacksonville, FL were fine as the storm was about 150 miles off the coast at that point. South of us in Brunswick County they had a nest of tornadoes but surprisingly little damage so all in all it could have been worse.

Dan

Comment

thanks for the report. Glad to hear you were spared this year.

I almost went to NC today, but instead took 81 up to Richmond...I'm there now, not real far away. Drag Week racing at VMP Monday, and again Friday, if the weather lets us. Come visit if you can, or at least wave in this direction
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  Drag Week racing at VMP Monday, and again Friday, if the weather lets us.
                  Good luck Jim and have a great week !

Comment

Dan,
                    Glad to hear you guys are okay. I think the places hardest hit in NC
                    were aloang the outer islands We had about a day and half of heavy rain and 20-50 mph winds. We had just gotten the new roof finished last week and it held up well. No power loss and only minor flooding. Obviously we are really thankful for that.

Comment

Great to hear that, Joe. I know that roofing project took forever to come together and excellent news that it held up. All our repairs word, too.

Dan

Comment

Dan

Given you are closer - do you know (yet) how badly Hatteras and Ocracoke got hit? We are thinking about doing an Outer Banks trip in mid October (taking the ferries) and wasn't suref how bad things got hurt.

Comment

It's not good. At least one of the ferry docks was knocked out of service and (according to the news) will be shut down for some time. I'd look it up online as I can't remember which dock it was. If you do that trip I expect you'll have to stay inland as the islands were seriously damaged and I'd doubt there's any place to stay - again, you'll want to check on that.

On the other hand, Wilmington and our barrier islands (notable Wrightsville Beach) are in fine shape and we'd be happy to have you! I'll be happy to give you a guided tour as I've done for many others. I've been told I'm pretty good at it. You can pick up the Southport Ferry in Southport and come across to Fort Fisher and up the county to Wrightsville and then will be near our place. BTW - the Southport ferry dock is under routine repair, too, but I think it's expected to be done by October.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            It's not good. At least one of the ferry docks was knocked out of service and (according to the news) will be shut down for some time. I'd look it up online as I can't remember which dock it was. If you do that trip I expect you'll have to stay inland as the islands were seriously damaged and I'd doubt there's any place to stay - again, you'll want to check on that.

On the other hand, Wilmington and our barrier islands (notable Wrightsville Beach) are in fine shape and we'd be happy to have you! I'll be happy to give you a guided tour as I've done for many others. I've been told I'm pretty good at it. You can pick up the Southport Ferry in Southport and come across to Fort Fisher and up the county to Wrightsville and then will be near our place. BTW - the Southport ferry dock is under routine repair, too, but I think it's expected to be done by October.

Dan
                            Dan

Thank you for the offer and info.
                            We are doing the Northeast Rod Run and I was plotting our route home. We are going to come down the Delmarva Peninsula to do the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. The thought was to spend the night in Virginia Beach and then head down the outer banks. If the ferries are down then it is unlikely we would be going through Wilmington.

HOWEVER, should we plan to get in your neck of the woods on one of our excursions, I will definitely let you know so we can plan a visit.

Comment

Working...
                            X