Car Clubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Clubs?

Anybody still do them? I thought of it because BangShift is like an online car club. I was in one in the 80s. Pretty funny now. The other club in town had a lot of wannabees and perpetual project car guys. They'd been around since the 50s and mostly made bucks off the ISCA show. I didn't like that so I insisted on a rule, must participate WITH a car entered at three events a summer. The other guys had silk jackets and license plates so we did too, but I thought it was cheesy. And here I am now.....
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

I joined the Sierra Vista Car Club when it started in 1988. My wife and I were rather young, we had a baby who was only a few months old. Now 31 years later, we're still involved with it, and we're still the youngest folks in the club. Several members have died recently.

Yes, we have the internet now.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I was in a (hold yer hats) Corvette club years ago. Nice group of guys and we did rallies and such. I enjoyed it but didn't stick with it - I'm pretty much an individualist and it really didn't fit my personality. I just sort of moved away from it.

There IS a sort of car club vibe here but more inclusive.

Dan

Comment

Ever seen the bumper sticker, " ain't really a cowboy, just found the hat"? Several in our loose group had t-shirts made that say "Odd Rods" with three old-school hotrods on them..............we don't have a club, we just have t-shirts.....hahahahaaaaaaaaa....................... ..
        Last edited by oletrux4evr; September 17, 2019, 08:27 AM.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

perpetual project guys.... we prefer "pro jackstand"
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            I joined the Sierra Vista Car Club when it started in 1988. My wife and I were rather young, we had a baby who was only a few months old. Now 31 years later, we're still involved with it, and we're still the youngest folks in the club. Several members have died recently.

Yes, we have the internet now.
            Looks to me like people do two things in Sierra Vista. Soldier or retire. Pretty good place for either one. Only mild problem is "Where the heck is THAT?" and you say "WELL, it's south of Tucson".

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

Looks to me like people do two things in Sierra Vista. Soldier or retire. Pretty good place for either one. Only mild problem is "Where the heck is THAT?" and you say "WELL, it's south of Tucson".
              I say, "It's where my friend Jim lives!"

Dan

Comment

I've just moved to California because of a job from Apknite for a Youtube channel. I am looking to interact with some car clubs or car enthusiasts to film some content for my channels.
                I have done some Facebook searching and googling but cannot find much in the way of car clubs or how to get into the car scene here. Any help would be appreciated!

Comment

If you were in Arizona, I'd suggest looking at https://www.cruisinarizona.com/carshows.html and find some events going on, and go talk to folks. But I don't know if there is an equivalent listing in California.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    If you were in Arizona, I'd suggest looking at https://www.cruisinarizona.com/carshows.html and find some events going on, and go talk to folks. But I don't know if there is an equivalent listing in California.
                    Following Jim's suggestion, perhaps you can start with this:

Comment

California is a difficult place to socialize. I'd look at events at Fontana, Cars and Coffee in O.C. and the swap meets like Pomona.

Comment

Find a local speed shop.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I joined the Studebaker Drivers Club, Intl. 21 years ago. Immediately after joined the local chapter - Midway Chapter in Wichita, KS. By now I have served in various capacities as an officer in the chapter for 20 years (except Treasurer) - mostly as newsletter editor. I have been the SDC manager for the 3 chapters in Kansas for about 5 years. I have served as chairman of a number of Studebaker conventions (known as zone meets) held for SDC members across the country (usually about 150 members attend, with over 50 Studebakers driven to the event). I will also chair the next convention in 2020. I try to recruit new members, assist members with anything they need - finding or selling parts and cars, plan memorials for fallen members, connect with local media for promotional events, etc. I am not paid for all this work. I answer my phone and my emails instead of blowing it off.

I was also the Vice-President of the Wichita Area Council of Car Clubs for about 8 years. We oversee and help about 50 local clubs around Wichita, and present one show a year. It's billed as the World's Largest FREE Outdoor Car Show - having run for over 45 years. I recently stepped down so a guy from the local Falcon club could get some experience running a car show.

Car culture and car clubs are not dead.
                          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I too belong to an SDC chapter (Eastern North Carolina Chapter). I have been a member for 22 years and for the most part have enjoyed the experience. I have been the newsletter editor for almost 20years. For me belonging to a Studebaker club was a no brainer as in a traditional car club help for such cars as Studebakers and the like is severely lacking. Are there things about the Studebaker Drivers Club I don't like? Sure, but then nothing is perfect.

Comment

Working...
                            X