• Eric
    replied
    Good luck.
    And a speedy recovery

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by sueunit View Post
    Thanks Dan. The fact that I am online at Bangshift proves I am doing better, right? I appreciate your simple explanation, even I can now understand the reason for this approach. When are you having the surgery done? You are in our thoughts!
    This right here. Great great news!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Good to hear, Dieselhead! They'll give me a TAP block which is a sort of nerve block and the doc said it'll last a couple of days which should get me past the worst of it. It'll have to be pretty bad before I take any opioids as I HATE the way they make me feel - but I have them if I need them. I'll plan to use naproxim sodium (Advil) and see if that'll get me by but hope to take nothing. I'll do my best to eat the hospital food but I know it can be a challenge! I'll have to feed the insulin and I'm afraid that'll be what's available. My past experiences with hospital food is that mystically they're able to take school lunch food and make it worse.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• dieselhead
    replied
    Dan,
    I haven't had any surgeries of the abdomen yet but a good friend had colon cancer and had a section of his colon removed about 8 years ago. He was only in the hospital a few days and would have gone home sooner but he refused to eat the hospital food and they wouldn't release until he pooped. He finally lied to the Doc and told him that he pooped in the crapper and forgot he wasn't supposed to notify the night nurse before he flushed. This guy had the lowest pain tolerance of any man I've ever known but he never complained about pain before or after the surgery and he didn't take any pain medication. I hope you have the same experience.
    Last edited by dieselhead; September 26, 2019, 09:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

SO glad you're (more or less) up and running!

As far as "when" - next Monday at about noon. Surprised that the doc is willing to miss lunch to chop me up but it's his choice. Maybe he'll be eating a sammich with one hand and working on me with the other hand? Who knows.........

Dan
    He has a 7:00 tee time and an early 3 martini lunch that day

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
    We're already prayin' for ya Dan. A sidebar........you might find it easier to keep your weight down after they remove some processing equipment from your system.......
    Hoping for that! I told ME that now I'll have a semicolon.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; September 24, 2019, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    We're already prayin' for ya Dan. A sidebar........you might find it easier to keep your weight down after they remove some processing equipment from your system.......
    Last edited by oletrux4evr; September 24, 2019, 10:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by sueunit View Post
    Thanks Dan. The fact that I am online at Bangshift proves I am doing better, right? I appreciate your simple explanation, even I can now understand the reason for this approach. When are you having the surgery done? You are in our thoughts!
    SO glad you're (more or less) up and running!

As far as "when" - next Monday at about noon. Surprised that the doc is willing to miss lunch to chop me up but it's his choice. Maybe he'll be eating a sammich with one hand and working on me with the other hand? Who knows.........

Dan

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Thoughts and prayers are forthcoming from us!

Leave a comment:

• sueunit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Thanks Sue! Hope you're feeling better and DOING better!

As far as the polyps, the answer is "usually". They remove them by looping a sort of snare around them and cutting them off with the snare. They usually can get the whole deal that way but depending on location, shape, etc. sometimes they can't get the whole deal. In this case it wouldn't have mattered much as the part they DID get proved to be just this side of cancer and it's ugly little feet (the part they could NEVER get out) were bound to turn into cancer. After checking around both on the Interwebs and with others in the health community (my youngest daughter is a Nurse Practioner - almost a Doc - and she's not the only one I asked) there's nothing for it but to chop it out. Not looking forward to this one but the doc is competent and has done a ton of them and the success rate is really high so it's time to put off procrastinating.

Rock On!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• sueunit
    replied
    Hi Dan. I sure don't have any answers or advice for you, just a question. I thought polyps could be removed during a colonoscopy. Does that apply only to benign polyps, or maybe the size or location of polyp(s) ? Know that we here at weeville will be pullling for you as always! Safe surgery and complication free recovery is our wish for you.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I'm slightly concerned about the doc just because I've never before had the need of a surgeon working deep inside my bod (other than my stent placement but they fish those up thru a leg vein and don't dive deep to do those) so I don't have any experience with anyone digging around in there. The guy who will do it was recommended by the gastroenterologist who did the colonoscopy and this surgical practice does a lot of gastric bypass surgery so at least I know he's had lots of practice. So far I haven't heard any negative feedback on him. I'd like for my vet to do it but evidently there's some issue with licenses, etc.

Dan
    I learned the bit about plastic surgeons when I had my gall bladder removed (emergency), - the first two surgeons were both gastro surgeons, both were highly recommended in their field (and because of them I didn't have a colostomy bag for life). The next surgery 5 years later (because of scarring) was as well but he also was a plastic surgeon. He and the gall bladder surgeon both did repairs that didn't need revisions. Also the scars from the last two surgeries disappeared - not so much the first, surgery.....

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
    Well... My Mom is 102 and she had it done so you can't be far off.
    Good for your Mom! Hope she's well and content.

Dan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X